Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Fluro V's Copoly
« on: 13/05/2009 at 20:44 »
I've read so many differing things so thought i'd ask and see if i get a definitive answer.

Is Fluro denser/ heavier than Copoly hence better for wets?
Is Copoly Lighter than Fluro hence better for dry's?

Whats your comments guy's :?

:z18

Dave

EDIT missed out a word  :oops

Jim Eddie

Re: Fluro V's Copoly
« Reply #1 on: 13/05/2009 at 21:00 »
Dave there are no definitive answers in Fly fishing.

Fluro allegedly sinks faster than co poly, its also supposed to be invisible to fish, aye right  :wink Its an environmental disaster though has a longer half life than Plutonium so does not biodegade. So any discarded or broken off fluro is there for ever more  :mad   

In my opinion its not that critical , people caught lots of fish when we used horse hair line and gut  :cool:

At the end of the day its down to personal preforance.

Jim   

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 13/05/2009 at 23:19 »
Dave there are no definitive answers in Fly fishing.

I agree with you entirely Jim :z16

As for fluro ...... I hate the stuff for environmental reasons :mad

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 14/05/2009 at 22:20 »
I have gone off Fluro because of the stiffness of the stuff. Also, there are far too many companies selling "Fluro" that is not true fluro...

However, my last trip out to Mikes on Wednesday resulted in me losing 5 flies to fish when the co-polymer broke at the dropper knot. Never had an issue with it before....and I bullied a fair few fish with no issues, yet on tightening up to a taking fish, it snapped..grrr!

« Reply #4 on: 15/05/2009 at 16:41 »
I started out using Fluro as a fly fishing beginner and soon changed to Mono / Copolymer brands for my leader material
The theory is that Fluro will sink in water whereas Mono/Copolymer will float, and also as Fluro has a refractive index similar to water that it is invisible to the fish when in water, however if you take some fluro and put it under water you will still be able to see it, well Fulling Mill and Airflo Fluro's at least, so that rather dispells that little theory
I have also found that Fluro will break easier than Mono or Copolymer and is more prone to wind knots, and so nowdays i stick with the tried and tested Drennan Sub Surface Green which has never let me down
However some people love the stuff

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 15/05/2009 at 16:49 »
Drennan Sub Surface Green which has never let me down

Yes, this is one of the most reliable products on the market IMHO :wink

Best wishes
Mike

slippy

« Reply #6 on: 15/05/2009 at 18:44 »

Hi dave,,,, I ran a thread a while back about flouro pulling small dries under and got some good feedback.
  have leaned my lesson   :cool:. I think true flouro sinks faster than mono, (never used co-poly). I switched from the acclaimed drennan s/s because I went for all the blurb about flouro, but was not aware of the degradation issue until jedi mentioned it, so have now gone back with drennan and have no difference that I can see with numbers or quality of fish netted. Also carry some double stength for those not so confident days.

Also saves me money  :grin
  Anyway my motto is and always was,,,, if it floats it's a dry  :grin, I quite often fish a *dry* on an intermediate line with good results.

regards derek

Dave Mundie

« Reply #7 on: 15/05/2009 at 19:07 »
I've been using Co-poly for a while now but have noticed sometimes it floats when using small wets which isn't good when you want to get down, I've tried that mud stuff and it seems to help (i just open lid hold leader on top with thumb and pull line through with other hand don't know if thats right or not?)

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 15/05/2009 at 19:10 »
I've been using Co-poly for a while now but have noticed sometimes it floats when using small wets which isn't good when you want to get down, I've tried that mud stuff and it seems to help (i just open lid hold leader on top with thumb and pull line through with other hand don't know if thats right or not?)

Dave

Dave

Thats right enough  :cool:

Jim

stickleback

« Reply #9 on: 15/05/2009 at 21:58 »
Being a confirmed tight-wad  :z4 I use Drennan Sub Surface when I can get it for wets and dries - far cheaper than that fluro guff or co-polymer.  Also, Drennan's wee spools with the notch in the rim to catch the loose end of nylon are the dogs danglies  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 17/05/2009 at 00:19 »
Lots of breakages on the loch again today :z6

Hmmm ...... perhaps it is time to see if I can source some "Barrio Troutcast" again :z17

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #11 on: 20/05/2009 at 21:46 »
Lots of breakages on the loch again today :z6

Hmmm ...... perhaps it is time to see if I can source some "Barrio Troutcast" again :z17

the troutcast nylon was great, as i remember... and I would happily use again.... but could it come on different spools?

the spools it came on were a negative IMHO... the outer rims were high, and i couldn't get my fingers in to pick up the end of the nylon :-(  frustrating, as the nylon was grand. I've still got a few spools of it... was going to use some the other day to see if it was still usable, but couldn't get the end of it from out of the elastic band without resorting to forceps.... aarrgh.... and yes, i'd tried wee bit of tape to tape it to the outside, but water & tape is not a good combo!

cheers, iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 20/05/2009 at 21:50 »
Hi Iain :z16
Yes, the spools were not good :oops but all that they could supply at the time.

Thanks for the feedback :wink
Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com