Re: Lucky escape on the river Deveron
« Reply #2 on: 23/04/2010 at 16:24 »
Aye it just shows you cant be to careful when wading

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 23/04/2010 at 17:53 »
I got a lifejacket for winter wading when the water is cold.  In the warmer weather I tend to hope that a wading belt and a stick will stop me from toppling over. 

Maybe i should wear the lifejacket all year round...

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 23/04/2010 at 18:59 »
I got one of these a few weeks ago
http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Airflo-WaveHopper-Inflation-Vest---Auto-Inflation--1660.html
Have worn it every time I have been fishing since and intend to continue.
I cant get on with wading sticks they seem to always be in the way and magnetic attraction for fly lines :z8     

j.r fartley

« Reply #5 on: 23/04/2010 at 22:03 »
I have to admit.... i fished the Tay at aberfeldy and kenmore last year without a life jacket.

More than once i felt overwhelmed by the  river  :shock

Next time i fish a river like that il be on the safe side! :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 24/04/2010 at 10:43 »
With my 'work' head on I would encourage any angler to get a lifejacket (rather than a bouyancy aid) as an essential piece of kit. However, if you do get one..... please get it serviced annually and/or as recommended by the manufacturer  :z17

:z3

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 24/04/2010 at 17:02 »
I got one of these a few weeks ago
http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Airflo-WaveHopper-Inflation-Vest---Auto-Inflation--1660.html
Have worn it every time I have been fishing since and intend to continue.
I cant get on with wading sticks they seem to always be in the way and magnetic attraction for fly lines :z8     

I've been thinking about one of those Noel , how is it to wear and fish in ?

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 24/04/2010 at 19:51 »
Not all lifejackets are equal. I'm sure Hamish can confirm this but some are lifejackets and some are buoyancy aids. But I forget exactly what that difference is.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 24/04/2010 at 19:56 »
Matt,

I think one aids bouyancy and the other is a jacket thats purpose is to save your life.................any help? :z7

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #10 on: 24/04/2010 at 20:07 »
Crystal mate. But what is the difference?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 24/04/2010 at 20:17 »
well I thought it was funny Matt :grin

Matt Henderson

« Reply #12 on: 24/04/2010 at 20:21 »
So did I. But I'd still like to know what the difference is.

Andy Finlay

« Reply #13 on: 24/04/2010 at 22:43 »
I've one of these, most people wouldnt think twice about spending £50 on a rod or reel but dont think about things like life jackets. Id rather float than sink.
http://www.cheaplifejackets.co.uk/ergo-hi-fit-automatic-lifejacket-with-waistbelt-4700-c-105-p-1-pr-16138.html

From another site:
A buoyancy aid is just that, an Aid to Buoyancy. It assumes the wearer can, to a degree, help themselves to either swim back to the shore or swim enough to get themselves back to a boat. It therefore assumes that help is close at hand, that the conscious wearer can swim or is comfortable enough in the water to wait for assistance and for this reason usually worn in sheltered waters.

A lifejacket may help if the wearer is unconscious or unable to help themselves and is almost always the preferred option for sailing coastal waters/offshore. The type of lifejacket worn will be determined by the conditions/ environment and the type of clothing worn and usually provide at least 150 Newtons.

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 25/04/2010 at 00:14 »
Yup - what he said  :z16

Handy thing is there's plenty of choice out there now,  and gear that's suitable for fishing in too - which is nice  :cool:

:z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com