Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: Don Today
« Reply #25 on: 07/09/2009 at 03:10 »
Just got into this one :roll

Fantastic fish Ben :shock In superb condition too, for its size.
Don't suppose you took any scales?

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #26 on: 07/09/2009 at 10:34 »
River still high at Kintore, visibility is however suprisingly good, about 18" so had a chuck this afternoon.

3 Fish landed, nothing big, here's one of them.

Taken on a size 4 black woolly bugger with an orange cone.

Cheers

Ben

Thats a monstrosity of a flee !  :z6
And after the stick a blob gets  :wink
Heres me thinking all you river fisheres were all traditional and went down the natural and dry fly road  :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #27 on: 07/09/2009 at 14:00 »
Thats a monstrosity of a flee !  :z6
And after the stick a blob gets  :wink
Heres me thinking all you river fisheres were all traditional and went down the natural and dry fly road  :z4

That's a small one Baz, it's only a size 4 and tied "sparse & short"!  I do prefer fishing dries to rising fish but in a flood there is little chance of moving anything to a dry.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #28 on: 07/09/2009 at 14:55 »
when you taking me out?

Make sure he pays for the cinema and buys you popcorn and a drink. BUT, insist you sit near the front, I hear he has wandering hands ;)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #29 on: 07/09/2009 at 15:42 »
Make sure he pays for the cinema and buys you popcorn and a drink. BUT, insist you sit near the front, I hear he has wandering hands ;)

Wouldn't suprise me Rob, I have seen what he drives  :z4

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #30 on: 07/09/2009 at 17:14 »
Wouldn't suprise me Rob, I have seen what he drives  :z4

not for a while, got a new car in June!!!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #31 on: 08/09/2009 at 22:47 »
Anyone been out so far this week or know if anything has ben caught?

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 08/09/2009 at 22:51 »
Anyone been out so far this week or know if anything has ben caught?

Cheers

Ben

Anyone been out so far this week or know if anything has ben caught?  :z4  :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #33 on: 08/09/2009 at 22:59 »
Should read "been" caught, thanks Mike  :z4

piker

« Reply #34 on: 09/09/2009 at 13:29 »
i lost one on tues night........took the rapala right at the bank... :z15

was a grilse of about 4lb i think...

Ben Dixon

« Reply #35 on: 09/09/2009 at 20:53 »
Fished the Alford & Montgarie water today, nice water and looked very fishy but, no salmon!!  Got a stale 2lb sea trout on a stripped Sunray and a couple of brownies, saw a few nice trout moving to sedges that were coming off about 2ish.

Cheers

Ben

piker

« Reply #36 on: 10/09/2009 at 11:08 »
i got humiliated on the don last night

and old chap just leaving kintore @ 5pm as i turned up - he had a 15lb fish and had released another 3 !

I tried for an hour - nowt

moved to kemnay fished a spot with flying C, moved, someone moved into exact same spot, same lure - *whack* - 9lbs....

:cry

damn those  :z15

Noel Kelly

« Reply #37 on: 10/09/2009 at 13:13 »
i got humiliated on the don last night

and old chap just leaving kintore @ 5pm as i turned up - he had a 15lb fish and had released another 3 !

I tried for an hour - nowt

moved to kemnay fished a spot with flying C, moved, someone moved into exact same spot, same lure - *whack* - 9lbs....

:cry

damn those  :z15
James have you ever thought abought taking up golf? :z4 :z4

piker

« Reply #38 on: 10/09/2009 at 14:48 »
i did try golf but i am a natural...

so thought i should try something i'm crap at  :z4

piker

Noel Kelly

« Reply #40 on: 10/09/2009 at 16:19 »
Not a contractor anymore :cry and I was more of a starving kitten...

Iain Goolager

« Reply #41 on: 12/09/2009 at 00:53 »
Ben,

sorry - no internet connection with the new number an' all

Cracking fish! A new PB exciting times.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #42 on: 12/09/2009 at 23:04 »
Cheers Iain, found another pic of it on my camera tonight that I took whilst releasing it, huge mouth on it!

The following fish is an Annan fish that was previously my PB, this fish was longer but nowhere near as plump, was not weighed but measured about 27", same length as the butt section of a 9' 4pc rod.  At the time I caught this one I did not carry scales or a tape measure or even a net, a bollocking from Mr Procter sorted that one out :z4

Fished the botom end of the Kintore water tonight and saw two salmon move, almost impossible to fish from the south bank with a fly rod once you get around the last bend, didn't get a touch!

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #43 on: 17/09/2009 at 10:51 »
Anybody else been out on the Don? I'm heading for the aberdeenshire water tomorrow and wondering between the inverurie water and Kintore?  Thats providing the gas man gets there at a decent time. 

Bronzebommer

« Reply #44 on: 17/09/2009 at 18:49 »
I was out last nite for an hour at Kintore. Im going offshore tomorrow so it was the last day of the season for me. I only had the one fish but it was a cracker!  :z4 Lots of small fish on the go but saw nothing of any size.

At leas I did;nt blank  :grin

Ben Dixon

« Reply #45 on: 17/09/2009 at 21:52 »
Air was thick with BWO spinners at kintore this evening, trout were taking for about an hour, activity had just about stopped by the time I changed the salmon rod for a proper rod!  Trout were moving earlier on to midge and the odd sedge, was a good sedge hatch at one point early in the afternoon but not much activity, no salmon again depite seeing a few!!

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #46 on: 18/09/2009 at 06:47 »
Im planning what will prob be a last bash for this season at Kintore tomorrow. There is a fish in a certain pool that has teased me all season, connected once for a few seconds, just long enough to know how big he is!!
That was in I think June. He is still there in his impossible spot as I have seen him rise(once) most days...

piker

« Reply #47 on: 18/09/2009 at 10:39 »
i have been out a couple of times in the last 2 weeks

i think it was last friday i went out of an hour, met one of the older gents

i caught nowt for an hour, left and came back

" any joy " says I

" a twenty pounder" says he  :z14 :z14

i cry like a baby ....business as usual on the Don......

Noel Kelly

« Reply #48 on: 18/09/2009 at 11:45 »
i have been out a couple of times in the last 2 weeks

i think it was last friday i went out of an hour, met one of the older gents

i caught nowt for an hour, left and came back

" any joy " says I

" a twenty pounder" says he  :z14 :z14

i cry like a baby ....business as usual on the Don......
LOL very good.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #49 on: 19/09/2009 at 14:39 »
Mixed day for me yesterday.  Went to the Aberdeenshire council beat Kintore and fished from the railway bridge down.  Got out of the car without my wading stick and promptly filled my waders after five minutes.  So I was a bit cold all day.  I went back for the wading stick but forgot the net again.  I did get three nice brown trout of about half a pound and one nice sea trout.  The first fish on my new rod, my first sea trout and my first fish on a fly I tied myself, a wee stoats tail which the bandies loved too!  However no pictures because my phone was soaked when I filled my waders. 

Oh and am I supposed to record the catch with the council now or at the end of the season? I'm confused because the permit says within 48hours of the permit expiring which is a few months away.  But I'm sure somewhere I saw that it was within 48hrs of catching a fish.  Also what is the position on keeping sea trout?  The council website says to go with the don fishery charter and they contradict each other one saying return all sea trout and the other saying you can keep 12 fish per season.  I returned all of mine because i didn't have the net.

Cheers

Matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com