Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

New French Nymphing DVD inc "Leader To Hand"
« on: 11/07/2012 at 13:16 »
There is a new 'French Nymphing'/Leader To Hand DVD from those intrepid guys at Fish On Productions :

http://www.fishonproductions.co.uk/fish_on_dvds/french_nymphing.html (click on the trailer).

The DVD follows John Tyzack ( highly 'decorated' English International and numerous River Champion) with his pal actor Dean Andrews who some of you will know as Ray Carling form Life on Mars.

The DVD is shot on the Clyde (upper) and Derbyshire Wye and uses stepped mono leaders (no fly line at all) to fish predominantly nymphs but also some dry fly ( a Jingler) on the Clyde. The DVD is maybe not as clincally edited as previous ones but I find this just adds a 'live' feel to it all that suits the action as it happens and also suits the rapport between Tyzack and Andrews.

The Clyde action is fantastic with two big powerful Brownies that I am sure JT won't mind me saying had him "worried" ! The quality of the fish and fishing on the Clyde early season looked fantastic - I am getting my bottom down there at the start of next season.

As a footnote the DVD comes with an extra disk with tying sequences of the flies used plus some info on method, leader make up etc. I find JT's patterns simple to tie and absolutely lethal (eg. JT Olive) and these nymph patterns I am sure will have the same efficacy as more complex and time consuming patterns by say Ollie Edwards.

Check it out !

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

Re: New French Nymphing DVD inc "Leader To Hand"
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2012 at 15:11 »
 :z16

Just waiting for the Don to drop enough for me to give it another go....I hooked far more fish using this method than normal nymphing.

Loxiafan

« Reply #2 on: 12/07/2012 at 12:23 »
Just waiting for the Don to drop enough for me to give it another go....

Not any time soon then !  :z19

Perhaps the DVD should not be titled exclusively "French Nymphing" as, by my understanding, this method uses very long leaders (like they use in the DVD) but to cast small nymphs to spooky fish in low water (the Cyde was running at a good Spring height though the Wye was down a bit in the film). So it is right for half the film I suppose. JT also demonstrates standard upstream nymphing (with fly line) on the Clyde, hooking a 2 lb plus Grayling as well as Czech Nymphing (modified for trout) catching a walloper Brownie, again on upper Clyde.

'Leader To Hand' seems to be a term coined by J. Lucas and there will still be some who 'don't get it', but I suppose it is broader and encompasses the use of dry fly too !

Lindsay

danbruce

« Reply #3 on: 12/07/2012 at 21:09 »
The trailer certainly looks great Lindsay, :z16

Might just have to buy it since it looks like i won't be getting much fishing done for a while.

Dan

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 13/07/2012 at 19:25 »
DVD l'arrive today.

Once the sprat is in his crib it'll get a viewing.

Like the Fishonproductions stuff although not too sure about this LTH malarkey, possibly this may open my mind.

Have you an 11' 3wt yet Lindsay?

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 13/07/2012 at 21:32 »
Hi Iain,

No I've not yet gone all Jeremy Lucas with a 11' 3wt ! My understanding is that the Streamflex Plus is a better option ? I'd use my 10' #4 Streamflex for this method though.

Hope you like the vid, the editing is quirky as is the sound at times (uncharacteristically) but it good IMO.

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 13/07/2012 at 21:53 »
Lindsay,
There's no point in trying something new without a brand new 'wardrobe', so a new rod would be I'm order  :X2

Anyone any idea why 3wt's are recommended over say a 2 wt?

I'd like to try it, something for next season I think.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #7 on: 13/07/2012 at 22:49 »
Iain,

New rod coming the morn...but it is an Orvis Access 9' #4 TF for dries !

2 wt is too lite for a' they big fish you catch  :wink.

JT and others seem to rate the Streamflex Plus in a 3 wt...wishing I'd bought one now. May sell my 10' and 9' and get one, in a 3 wt of course !

Lindsay

danbruce

« Reply #8 on: 13/07/2012 at 23:02 »
Give me a shout if you decide to sell them lindsay.

So you getting out over the weekend to test out the new rod?

Dan

Loxiafan

« Reply #9 on: 14/07/2012 at 10:31 »
Will do Dan, but I am a bit addicted to the 10' 4 wt, though the SF plus has quite a few fans (inc. Deveron expert Allan Liddle on here). Have fished dries all year so maybe don't need another bugging rod but next season will be trying this nymphing nonsense - these guys were fishing the nymphs with great success during sporadic rises, the type of which is prevalent on the Don in my experience !

Yes, will be out tonight given another poor weather prediction for tomorrow which may well see water levels rise (again).

Cheers,

Lindsay

Allan Liddle

« Reply #10 on: 15/07/2012 at 12:57 »
Streamflex Plus excellent for this, however the #4 10' Streamflex with the Plus extension piece added is even better.  Means you need to buy two rods though, (or order a second extension piece for the Plus and make a padded carrier out of pipelagging and plastic case for waistcoat pocket)) however both are excellent for a host of other areas with the Plus (an idea i sent to B&W years ago who said there was no market for it  :shock) one of the most versatile rods i've used.

Total nylon leaders on long (12') soft rods to present natural baits gathered from the river a style used on the Clyde for many years often on bits of water you'd normally walk past.

Don't need to wait for the river to drop remember, as long as it's clear.  Or head up to Strathdon headwater areas?

Allan L

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 29/09/2012 at 22:00 »
Next video project is a Leader to Hand one, footage captured over 2 outings from a local water......watch this space.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #12 on: 29/09/2012 at 23:09 »
Next video project is a Leader to Hand one, footage captured over 2 outings from a local water......watch this space.

Look forward to that Iain !

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 01/10/2012 at 00:45 »
Just finished editing, render & upload tomorrow evening.

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #14 on: 01/10/2012 at 09:00 »
Cool!  :z16

Another Oscar winner in the making.

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com