Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Saltwater Fly Fishing
« on: 26/03/2008 at 16:07 »
I have been inspired again to try this off the NE Coast after seeing this video http://flyfishing.hook.tv/Clip.aspx?key=F2193E2932493D96

HUGE Sea Trout from Norway...

Hamish Young

Re: Saltwater Fly Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 26/03/2008 at 16:20 »
Good clip Rob - might be tempted to try again this year having singularly failed to get a cast in the salt last year :roll

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 26/03/2008 at 16:23 »
Does this mean we can plan a trip to Norway? :z4

Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 26/03/2008 at 17:50 »
Got the rod . got the reel , got the flee's , there are loads of quiet beaches between Peterhead and the Broch where Salmom and Sea Trout run close in. We would not be targeting those species though  :z4

Also a couple of spots at Boddam where there is chance  of a Bass on the fly or Pollack or Mackeral in season.

:z18

Jim

Ross

« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2008 at 18:03 »
I'd love to go and fish in Norway!!! Just no one would go :(

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2008 at 18:18 »
I'm going next week :z7

will let you know if i catch owt :z4

Sandy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #6 on: 26/03/2008 at 18:24 »
I have been inspired again to try this off the NE Coast after seeing this video http://flyfishing.hook.tv/Clip.aspx?key=F2193E2932493D96

HUGE Sea Trout from Norway...

I have flyfished from my boat for several seasons now for mackeral & Pollack etc off Pennan, didn't manage to get the boat in the water last season due to personal reasons but am planning to put it in this year. will let you all know. Always willing to take someone out, weather & tides permitting. Must say a single Mackeral on the fly is deffinately exciting.  :z16 :z16

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 27/03/2008 at 09:01 »
I have flyfished from my boat for several seasons now for mackeral & Pollack etc off Pennan, didn't manage to get the boat in the water last season due to personal reasons but am planning to put it in this year. will let you all know. Always willing to take someone out, weather & tides permitting. Must say a single Mackeral on the fly is deffinately exciting.  :z16 :z16

Alex

Alex,
ME, ME, ME, ME, ME..do i sound desperate? ME, ME, ME!!  :wink

duncanm

« Reply #8 on: 27/03/2008 at 16:50 »
Diverdave and I have talked about this for a wee while now - single mackrel off our rib - hopefully get a chance this year

Edge

« Reply #9 on: 27/03/2008 at 20:55 »
Can anyone recommend a good place for fly fishing in the sea - preferably in the area from Newburgh up to Peterhead - and ideally not somewhere I would get washed off the rocks!

Edge

« Reply #10 on: 28/03/2008 at 09:28 »
If you want to find out about fishing in Shetland, there is an excellent book called "Trout Fishing in Shetland" published by the Shetland Anglers Association. I am not sure if it is still in print, but I'm sure if it isn't, it will be reprinted. The sea trout fishing is not nearly as good as it used to be though. A combination of seine netters and people setting nets across burn mouths did huge damage to the stocks, and I don't think they have come back to what they were. There aren't any rivers as such, so the fish stay in the sea and run up the burns when in spate.
 :grin

Duncan McRae

« Reply #11 on: 28/03/2008 at 12:43 »
Rob

I share your frustration.

I would love to have a go for Bass on the Newburgh estuary but think i'd be kicked off pretty quickly if i did so.
I've tried to find out the legality of fishing for non migratory species in estuarys but have come to a dead end.

Does anyone know the law?

Duncan

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 28/03/2008 at 12:51 »
I would doubt theer is anything in the statutes covering non migratory species , particularly Bass as these would not have been present when the laws were written.

Ownership

Until captured, salmon are wild animals. Once captured, the salmon belongs at common law to the captor. However, numerous statutes forbidding the taking of salmon without right or written permission, and forfeitures imposed by statute, have made possession of salmon safe only where they have been taken by lawful means. Nevertheless, the basic position is that it is not the salmon but the right to fish for them that is owned.

Thus, nobody may fish for salmon in rivers or estuaries or in the sea within territorial limits without permission of the Crown or the party vested in the Crown rights. In many cases in rivers, estuaries and in the sea, the rights have been granted to private individuals, companies, local authorities and others. Salmon fishing rights are heritable titles and may be held separately from ownership of the land or may have been given along with ownership of the land. Where the right is held separately from the land, the proprietor of the right has an implied right of access for the purpose of exercising his right to fish for salmon. The fishing right must be exercised in such a way that it causes the least prejudice to the rights of the riparian owner.

The right to fish for salmon carries with it the inferior right to fish for trout but this right must not be exercised in a way that will interfere with the rights of the riparian owner.

Access

Section 1 of the 1951 Act (as amended by the Salmon Act 1986) states:

"1. If any person without legal right, or without written permission from a person having such right, fishes for or takes salmon in any waters including any part of the sea within one mile of mean low water springs, he shall be guilty of an offence ......"

Cheers

Jim

Ross

« Reply #13 on: 28/03/2008 at 14:14 »
I was always under the assumption that the mouth of any river was free to fish on?

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 28/03/2008 at 21:28 »
The simplist answer, to save further conjecture about river mouth/estuarinal fishing, is to write to the Clerk of the appropriate District Salmon Fishery Board and ask the question........ :z17 They should be able to provide you with a written answer explaining what the limits etc are.

Relevant legislation like the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries (Consolidation) (Scotland) Act 2003 and the Estuary Limits (1986 Act - Fixing of estuary limits) have a bearing on the options for estuary fishing and in light of the increasing number of us who like to have a cast in the salt (every now and again) and ask questions about where one can fish legally for fish other than salmonds in estuaries and by what or which methods.

To recap though - for a definative answer ask the competent body and that would be, in most cases, the District Salmon Fishery Board.

The difficult thing is proving you're fishing for something other than salmonids when you're fly fishing for Bass etc. That's why it's difficult getting a straight answer out of anyone about where you can and cannot fish. Sadly the view most riparian owners will take is likely to be negative to such an approach, more due to the lack of demand for such fishing than through any intolerance.

******* I have edited my post in light of a previous post being removed by its author *******

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com