Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Winter projects
« on: 16/12/2007 at 20:26 »
Every winter i seem to be involved in some sort of project.

Usually it involves stripping out the flybox to simplify life (of course by the time april comes along its back full of all the other essentials for every possibility :z6 )

The last couple of winters i've had interesting projects on the go, namely developing the new rods, and learning all about Bamboo and its construction.

This year it seems the project is to construct a new selection of flies for the Ugie, that will fit into a small box and go in a chestpack. Wonder how big the small box will get :roll
And perhaps build a neat small river rod to take out with me.
I think i'll book a few beats for the coming year too so i might actually get down the river and get that guide started.

Just wondered if anyone had any other interesting projects on the boil for this year?

Sandy

Hamish Young

Re: Winter projects
« Reply #1 on: 16/12/2007 at 21:35 »
 :z4 One comes to mind  :z4

Ross

« Reply #2 on: 16/12/2007 at 21:37 »
Ugie...good fun for small brownies!! Useless for everything else :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 16/12/2007 at 22:10 »
Hi folks :cool:

Winter projects, yes a few this year .......... probably too many as usual :z4

A couple of things at the fishery ( but I should have started them in warmer weather :z6 ) a couple of nice tackle projects which should hopefully come together during 2008 and I'm working on a useful tool for the main website, which is working but not finished ..... at http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/tacklesearch.html

Cheers
Mike :z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 17/12/2007 at 15:33 »
Ross

thats the idea :z16, fished it many moons ago, used to have great fun, dont see anyone fishing up where i am, so i want to go and give it a try.
Should be a lot like the Ury which has always been my favorite haunt.

Lots of surprises if you know what you are looking for :wink

Sandy

Ross

« Reply #5 on: 17/12/2007 at 16:03 »
I've caught a few large brownies, largest being 3lbs 4oz (Released). Granted it's maybe 1-2 a year but it's always good fun on such a small river.

I can usually be found going from Aberdeen Bridge (Bridge outside Mintlaw) right through to Aden Park! Good exercise and some unknown and unfished area's! :grin

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 17/12/2007 at 17:55 »
Hi Spiderman,
Projects eh!?   Interesting one about "the Ugie" flybox as I've just bought a couple of airflo flyboxes (one side slotted foam, the other compartmented) with the thought of making up a stillwater flybox, a "River Don" type flybox and a Grayling Flybox ...to start with anyway.
I have approx. 14 flyboxes with a multitude of fly types which I routinely inspect then reject before each outing and to be honest most of them are ornaments - I have a box with quite a few dries purchased from "Broons" around 1977 all unused..so far!

I like to travel as light as possible and am determined next season to fish 99% of venues with a single flybox,   two at a push when the venue might require me to put on a line that doesn't float and a fly that has marabou in it, eek!

The stillwater flybox is dead easy;
Black and Green Buzzer,Black and Red Buzzer,Black and Orange Buzzer,Orange Buzzer,Green And Orange Buzzer -  Black Hopper, Claret Hopper, small paraduns, CDC buzzers in above colours
Diawl Bach, Black Spider, Bloodworm and the Damsel for when things get tricky

The "River Don" isn't quite so definative;
The PTN and Ryac have been the most successful nymph type patterns for me but I'm planning to try more spider patterns and as for the dries I'm going to attempt to tye up some Klink's, CDC's, paraduns, etc. as I've only used the more traditional upwinged variety.

so any "must have" patterns would be very much appreciated

The hardest project is organising a fishing trip and fooling the missus into thinking that you are at work - being at home means nappy duty!

Good Luck

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 22/12/2007 at 09:56 »
Iain

For must haves,I would have

Waterhen bloas - 12-16
Hares ear emerger - 12-20
Greenwells dry - 14-16
Adams - 12-22
Orange spinner (cdc spider) - 14-18
Black and pearl spider - 12-16
Whickhams fancy - 14-16
Alexandria - 8-12
Rusty Olive cdc spider - 14-18
Badger and yellow dry - 14-18

Along with your Rhyac, a hydro and the PTN (especially with a hares ear or mole thorax). i would feel thats the backbone of a flybox for the Don.

Anyone else want to add any others.

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 22/12/2007 at 10:15 »
Cheers Spidy,

All tip top flies BUT what's the story on the Alexandria? I've got 8 of these which were bought about 30 years ago and last seen water about 29 years, 10 months and 13 days ago....you have obviously had success with these to include them in your list!? any stories?
Unless  I caught a nice Brownie in the first few casts I honestly doubt that I could fish it with any confidence (which I'm sure you would agree is always the key to success).

Anyway, thanks again

Oh cheers for including the 'H' in 'Rhyac' for me  :grin

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 22/12/2007 at 23:51 »
Iain

Have a look at the one on the Don flies part of the main site :wink or the one at the top of the forum pages.
Its my get out of jail fly for summer days when nothing much is happening.
Fished along the edge of a run where its a bit deeper, or under a cut in the bank, it has accounted for a good few cracking trout, and many more decent ones.
I've been playing with variations on clousers with some success, if i get it right one day :roll i'll let everyone know how.
I'm thinking of trying the new hooks Magnus reviewed in a recent Mag, they look like they could be exactly what i need to achieve this, have to find out what weights they come in.

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 23/12/2007 at 10:12 »
Sandy

I'm dusting down the Alexandrias as we speak!

Merry Christmas

Iain

:z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 23/12/2007 at 10:59 »
Ah yes. I've also found the Alexandria to be a great fly on the Don and although rarely used on stillwaters nowadays ............. it can be extremely useful at Haddo :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 23/12/2007 at 11:36 »
I've been playing with variations on clousers with some success, if i get it right one day :roll i'll let everyone know how.

Odd that, me too - and a few other things that'll frighten the trout into submission..... should compare notes  :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 23/12/2007 at 12:31 »
should compare notes 

Not yet :z7

:z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 24/12/2007 at 15:27 »
Hi folks :cool:

Winter projects, yes a few this year .......... probably too many as usual :z4

A couple of things at the fishery ( but I should have started them in warmer weather :z6 ) a couple of nice tackle projects which should hopefully come together during 2008 and I'm working on a useful tool for the main website, which is working but not finished ..... at http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/tacklesearch.html

Cheers
Mike :z3

The tackle search engine is proving to be great fun :cool:

It is a bit like doing a crossword puzzle, hunting for websites that I have not seen before, websites like this one that I found last night http://www.fishing-rods.at/Hauptseite%20eng.htm

I'm finding that I'm more interested in the european ones, but it can be frustrating, as although I've already added about 50 great sites to the engine, many of them do not show up in the search results ( due to the way the sites have been designed ) .......... maybe I should list them below the search engine ........ like a directory?

If you find some good ones, please let me know :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com