Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Doyle

Re: Spiderweb
« Reply #15 on: 21/01/2008 at 19:31 »
I dont think youll find it as messy as you pre suppose, try it . :wink

Irvine Ross

« Reply #16 on: 21/01/2008 at 20:13 »

How do you get the varnish onto the end of the thread after the whip finish? if its at the base of the hackle, without getting it on the fibres?
Carefully does not constitute an answer :z7

Sandy

Sandy

Whip finish with whip finish tool and just as you slip the thread onto a single hook, so you are only holding a simple loop of thread, let the bobbin hang and put a drop or two of head cement onto the loop of thread with your spare hand. Rotate the fly vice slightly away from you so the thread is clear of the hackle and pull tight.

Or  - when you find you have finished and forgotten to put the head cement on: :cry
Rotate the vice so the wing post is pointing away from you and put a few drops of cement onto the thread with the tip of your dubbing needle.

cheers

Irvine :z15

Iain Goolager

« Reply #17 on: 21/01/2008 at 21:21 »
Blokes,

On the Rt Hon. Mr Edwards' DVD ' Big Dry Flies for Fast Water' he ties the Klink and secures the hackle as follows;
He turns the vise so that the fly is lying horizontally (rotated 90 degrees from the upright position) and applies a tiny drop of 'Fly-Tite' cement at the junction between the last hackle wrap and peacock herl thorax and that's it - job done.

Obviously as I'm tying these for the first time I'm trying to emulate his every move and this too is how I have finished off the ones that I've tied.  It is worth mentioning that I am cutting up the flies that I have tied as I want to get the process ingrained 'in mi heed' - and when I cut off the yarn indicator c/w hackle it is left lying in a perfectly formed state - no unravelling - (only 2 turns of spiderweb due to my bap hands) so I'm fairly confident that this adequately secures the fly.

Anyone requiring a loan of this DVD can drop me a post.

Goolager

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 22/01/2008 at 16:43 »
Is this whip finish going around the hook or the post?

I have a funny feeling i'm reading this wrong :z6

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #19 on: 22/01/2008 at 18:06 »
Spidey,

The whip finish is going around the base of the post

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: 23/01/2008 at 05:51 »

The whip finish is going around the base of the post

Below the hackle? or above it  ???

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #21 on: 23/01/2008 at 07:23 »
Below the hackle.

Hackle is wound from the top of the post (top of the bound section of post using the Spiderweb that is) in touching turns down until it contacts the top of the thorax where it is tied off and the waste removed.
Then the whip finish is administered at this point.

Iain

Jim Doyle

« Reply #22 on: 23/01/2008 at 09:27 »

Hamish Young

« Reply #23 on: 23/01/2008 at 10:14 »
Interesting idea, still looks tricky though. Will give it a go later on  :z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 23/01/2008 at 12:44 »
Great link Jim :z16

I'm wondering now, by doing this does it make the hackle sit flatter?
Or is it the klinkhammer bent hook that makes it look level.

I've tied para's for years and normally the hackle sits pointing slightly upwards.
ie http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/z-greyduster800.jpg

I always find this makes the fly sit lower in the water, but also a little more prone to drowning.
I always tie for ease and speed so not tying round the post has always suited me (far to protracted and not enough patience) this upwards tilt is perhaps a result of not making the post a constant width where the hackle touches it.I wonder if it makes a difference :z5

Klinks are meant to sit hanging in the water (hatching sedge after all) so perhaps i've inadvertantly achieved a similar effect with a normal hook by doing it the easy way for the last 20 years. When tied on standard hooks I also wonder if the flatter hackle which by its nature is less prone to collapse, will therefore float better, would it also be more inclined to be a spiky biscuit for the fish and prone to ejection.This is the reason i tend towards CDC for dries these days. I've never really tried using bent hooks for Paras (Klinks i suppose) maybe the combination of bent hook with the flat tied parachute will hook more fish than a conventional hook.

Could be an iteresting experiment to try. Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........................

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #25 on: 23/01/2008 at 15:34 »
Spidey,

sorry to go back to Ollies' DVD but before he begins to tie the fly he has a 10 minute yap about the birth of the fly, and how his personal tying of the fly has evolved through various conversations with Mr Van Klinkerhoffen himself.
He states that the hackle when complete sits in a concave manner thus lower in the water, as you stated previously. I'd assume that this is a result of tying the hackle in 'outside facing down' rather than any effect of variations in the wing post diameter.

Also he states that floatant (Dilly Wax in his case) is applied to the wing post only, not to the hackle (although I bet he does in reality if the bugger starts sinking!) and that the poly-yarn does the lions share of keeping the fly afloat.

Jim Doyle

« Reply #26 on: 23/01/2008 at 15:37 »

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: 23/01/2008 at 20:01 »
Nice :z16

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #28 on: 24/01/2008 at 08:42 »

Also he states that floatant (Dilly Wax in his case) is applied to the wing post only, not to the hackle (although I bet he does in reality if the bugger starts sinking!) and that the poly-yarn does the lions share of keeping the fly afloat.

I would agree with Ollie Edwards on this. If you use the siliconised polypropylene for the wing post and the fly rite dubbing your Klinkhammer will keep floating long after the hackle is drowned. It's the wing post that keeps it floating. I put on fewer turns of hackle than Hans van Klinken recommends and they float just as well.

Irvine :z15

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com