Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #405 on: 29/05/2013 at 08:14 »
Later spotted a few upwings which quickly turned into a big hatch, the river came alive!

Nice one on the fash Noel.
Good to hear of an evening hatch; I was out on Sunday evening from 9pm til 10.30, and on the bit of river I'd chosen, not a sausage, but it was kinda chilly that evening

cheers
iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #406 on: 29/05/2013 at 12:01 »
Noel and I had a look through the fly guide at break this morning and it could well have been an Iron Blue hatch he saw last night.
Unusual for it to be so late in the day, but the fly description and picture in the book looked more like an iron blue than the BWO's.
Either way a 16 or 18 might be the order of the day :z16

Sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #407 on: 29/05/2013 at 12:48 »
Noel and I had a look through the fly guide at break this morning

You two at school together?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #408 on: 29/05/2013 at 13:45 »
Detention  :z7

Iain Cameron

« Reply #409 on: 29/05/2013 at 19:19 »
Either way a 16 or 18 might be the order of the day...

no way I'm even attempting to tie on an 18 in the dark. Never mind tracking it on the water...

Today was tough on the river - strong downstream wind from the north. Ah well. Managed one fat little chap of 13". Again, spotted him feeding in slack water. He splashed at fly first time, missed, but was kind enough to take it on the 2nd attempt. Phew, blank avoided.

Tired noo, but might have a late night cast. Or a beer. Mmmm, casting...

Noel Kelly

« Reply #410 on: 29/05/2013 at 20:02 »
Nice Iain  :z16 lucky you getting out every day.

Here's last nights fatty

Iain Goolager

« Reply #411 on: 29/05/2013 at 20:53 »
Nice Trout guys  :z16

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #412 on: 29/05/2013 at 21:53 »
Is anybody else following Paul Proctor on The Twitter? He's been catching some cracking brownies! Was wondering if he's on Donside just now?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #413 on: 30/05/2013 at 10:22 »
Nice trout and photos guys :z16

Cheers
Mike

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #414 on: 30/05/2013 at 11:29 »
that certainly is a little fatty noel, well done to you both.

I love seeing trout photos in the water too, it still amazes me at how camouflaged they can be.  A couple of days ago i was out in the afternoon on that very warm/sunny day, walked to a bit of water that looked like absolutely nothing was there, 2 seconds later i see the big golden side of a large fish i'd obviously just spooked.  :X1

went out last night for an hourish on the lower river, the wind was gusty and I saw no sizable fish, although there were a lot of (mainly small) flies blowing around - nothing i could identify.

I'm hoping it wont be long before we see some photos of good sea trout coming off the don.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #415 on: 30/05/2013 at 14:14 »
I love seeing trout photos in the water too... photos of good sea trout coming off the don.

cheating slightly... this is a sea trout from last year, sulking at my feet after I released him.

always cool to see a fish in its natural place
cheers
iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #416 on: 30/05/2013 at 23:32 »
Quite a lot of sedges around the banks tonight and a few "large olive type things" earlier ..... not my night :z4 missed and spooked a few, but there weren't many to have a cast at.

Lovely night to be on the water though :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #417 on: 30/05/2013 at 23:52 »
Aye just home, what a beautiful night. Sandy came round to try some of the water local to me and glad to say he had lots of fish. I had a few, nothing worth a photo. We found 2 pools with lots of rising fish, not sure what they were taking but sandy was getting lots on a dhe, I was getting an occasional take on a Klink.
Seen one big fish rise twice could have been a sea trout.
Next few nights looking good. Just need to see some sedges on the water that should bring the big boys out to play.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #418 on: 31/05/2013 at 00:22 »
Quite a lot of sedges around the banks tonight and a few "large olive type things" earlier ..... not my night :z4 missed and spooked a few, but there weren't many to have a cast at.

Lovely night to be on the water though :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Good to see you're getting out fishing a bit nowadays Mike :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #419 on: 31/05/2013 at 00:23 »
Aye it was a beautiful evening to be on the river.
Plenty fish feeding on whatever was hatching, I didn't manage to get any flies so not sure, but most looked quite olive like.
The fish seemed happy enough with a size 16 DHE although it took a few drifts over each one before they took, so it wasn't  exactly what they were after.
Nothing huge tonight but a few decent sized fish that needed the net :z16 I don't think I saw any of the big boys tonight either but they are there somewhere.

I hope we get a decent spell of this weather, it's still 9.5deg outside :z12
And what cracking sunset, might have some nice pictures, will check in the morning  :z18

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com