Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #390 on: 25/05/2013 at 22:50 »
Can't speak for the Don, but i'm just back up from the Ythan and it was chocolate when i got home at 5pm but it is now clearing nicely and there was a good hatch of some largish upwings, i didn't catch any to id them (they didn't look yellow, so could have been BWO's or medium olives), but the wee troot that were happily eating them rather liked a size 14 DHE :z16

Tomorrow evening could be worth a look :z16

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #391 on: 26/05/2013 at 00:09 »
The river will be fine tomorrow, caught 4 on the dry tonight best pictured below

Cheers
Scott C

Mike Barrio

« Reply #392 on: 26/05/2013 at 00:13 »
Great stuff Scott, well done and thanks for sharing :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #393 on: 26/05/2013 at 20:29 »
Nice fish Scott :z16

Nice new toy too :z16 I thought about that one, but have gone down a slightly different path :roll Old habits die hard :z4

I went for a walk with my sister and her dogs this afternoon at the river at her house. Nice Hatch of Olive uprights coming off during the afternoon, and a couple of nice looking fish happily sucking them down, Water is looking very fishable but alas i had no gear with me, just the camera.

managed a few nice bug shots. this is the most detailed of them, The fly is a male and was about a size 14 :wink

I would imagine anyone out today/tonight would see a few :z8

Sandy

Mark Zhang

« Reply #394 on: 27/05/2013 at 12:20 »
Went to Don Sat night about 9pm. there were still plenty of fly on the river, but didn't see fish rising in the flat beat. Moved to a faster water, saw quite a lot of fish were rising. Don't know the fish size, but my third cast told, at least 1.5lb. I hold it about a few seconds, then fish jumped out the water, and my 3lb leader was broken.  :cry :cry My biggest fish so far was released with my ELK hair. Quick changed to a 6lb leader, and caught one just over 13in. Not a monster, but it's my first fish this year.  :z18 :z18 :z18 Not blank any more. Then it went quite. Walked along the beat, didn't see any rising.

Regarding my leader (break from the knot, I put 2 flies on it), what do you guys think? just one fly for a 3lb leader, or go for a 6lb leader for 2 flies? By the way, my 3lb hasn't been tested it since I'm blank before Sat. Cheers.

Tight lines.

Mark

Iain Goolager

« Reply #395 on: 27/05/2013 at 12:29 »
Nice fish (and rod) there Scott  :z16

I fished the lower river on Friday afternoon but didn't stay too long as the river was on the up  :z6

Saw two toddlers rising (7" fish) so felt obliged to try for one  :X2 Well it beats blanking  :X1

There were allsorts in the air and on the water so I was surprised to see nowt on the surface even with the water coloured.

So went Stillwater fishing for a few hours on Saturday to boost the confidence (with river flies of course).

Iain

paavo

« Reply #396 on: 27/05/2013 at 18:30 »
Hi folks
Cracking trout’s there and nice photos from Iain. :z16
Thanks for sharing.

//Harri

Iain Goolager

« Reply #397 on: 27/05/2013 at 19:30 »
There has been some cracking pictures of fish and fly so far Harri especially as the conditions have been fairly unpleasant so far this season.
It's cold, windy and now raining outside, 4weeks until the longest day too  :X1

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #398 on: 28/05/2013 at 01:07 »

The stoneflies often get ignored.....................

Bedtime!

Iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #399 on: 28/05/2013 at 17:57 »
cracking pic of the stonefly Iain

Had an afternoon on lower ish Don today. One cracking bonus trout, just feet from the bank, in a small glide, he had been feeding visibly but didn't think it would have been more than a half pounder. So, a nice surprise to net and release this 16" chap.

and back in the water, he sulked in a comedy fashion with his head jammed between two pebbles, right at my feet:

a few other wee chaps on the dry, and one big tug when I was reeling in at the end of the day. hmm. Not a huge hatch of olives or uprights, but some midge and an occasional olivey thing.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #400 on: 28/05/2013 at 19:15 »
Nice one Iain.  :z16

What was he taking and what did he take?

Iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #401 on: 28/05/2013 at 19:35 »
What was he taking and what did he take?

I think he was feeding on a combo of wee midge, black gnats and some hawthorns, that was all I could see . But at the time, midday, there wasn't an olive hatch. He fell for a DHE, he was feeding quite steadily, so I guess anything in his lane was fair game.

cheers
iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #402 on: 28/05/2013 at 19:41 »
 :z16

Noel Kelly

« Reply #403 on: 28/05/2013 at 23:37 »
Just home from an interesting evening. Arrived at the river bout 8 and as I was tackling up I was watching a black headed gull working some fast water obviously picking off fly. Headed there pronto through clouds of spinners that were dancing about. Couldn't see any rises in the fast water, but the bankside reeds were crawling with sedge so on with a big Klink and I just prospected the broken water. Few casts and had a fish on, best of the season so far at 1.75lbs and a serious contender for who ate all the pies.
That was the only take though despite persisting with this method for quiet a while.

Later spotted a few upwings which quickly turned into a big hatch, the river came alive! Several fish right in front of me feeding hard with big noisy rises. Excellent I thought time to fill my boots..... Wasn't to be though, despite quiet a few fly changes I failed to attract a single fish :oops amateur hour on the don...
There were other options I should have tried ie spiders but in my growing frustration I didn't think of them.
On reflection I should have given up on the impossible trout and concentrated on getting a good pic of the flies for ID purposes but I'm pretty confident they were iron blues.
Will add pics tomorrow when I can get on she who is not to be woken at this hour's laptop.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #404 on: 28/05/2013 at 23:53 »
Great stuff guys! :z16

Iain - Nice trout :cool:

Noel - "amateur hour on the Don" - "growing frustration" ........ We've all been there! :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com