Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

shoz09

Re: River Don 2014
« Reply #330 on: 12/07/2014 at 17:23 »
Hi when out fishing today (with zero luck) I was watching the parr at the side of the river and then I spotted a fish I am unfamiliar with and hope someone can tell me what it was. It was about 3 inches long, appeared to be white/clear with red/pink gills; it was not like any of the others around and stood out clearly in the water.  We were at the Manse pool.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #331 on: 14/07/2014 at 07:47 »
Hi when out fishing today (with zero luck) I was watching the parr at the side of the river and then I spotted a fish I am unfamiliar with and hope someone can tell me what it was. It was about 3 inches long, appeared to be white/clear with red/pink gills; it was not like any of the others around and stood out clearly in the water.  We were at the Manse pool.

Looking at the River Don Fishery Management Plan to see what fish have been recorded, the two that jump out which it may have been are an immature Shad or a Roach. Both are light in colour when viewed from above, possibly with the gills showing pink.

Having said that, when I first fished the Don some 25 years ago, the chap that took me onto the beat spoke of Dace being present around Kemnay. At 3 inches long they would also look almost clear with a beige/dirty white appearance from above.

An outside contender might have been a Gudgeon, although they would normally be hugging the bottom and you "normally" see a barred pattern down their sides.

http://www.rafts.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DON-FMP-final.pdf Page 10

shoz09

« Reply #332 on: 15/07/2014 at 18:35 »
Thanks for the info I have looked on Google at pictures of them and the closest is actually the young Dace but it's not something I can be sure of. The Don is never dull is it! Cheers Shona

Allan Liddle

« Reply #333 on: 02/08/2014 at 10:59 »
Been out and about on the Don recently and its fished pretty good for me, mostly dries.

No rodbenders landed (lost one broke off on its teeth on the take  :X1) but plenty of fish and a good few pound plus.
Change as good as a rest, back to Deveron soon.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #334 on: 09/08/2014 at 00:14 »
Strange evening with hardly a trout rising, caught nowt and got soaked by the rain .............. but it was great to be on the river, as always! :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Colin Sunley

Re:
« Reply #335 on: 09/08/2014 at 10:03 »
Eek it was a bit wet last night surprised anyone ventured out

finlay101

« Reply #336 on: 09/08/2014 at 16:19 »
Hi everyone,

I'm fancying an evening on the Don tonight, and wondered if anyone has any advice on good beats? - Not looking for anyone's favorite spot, just a decent beat to get started on the Don - hopefully for some evening dry fly action!

I've just moved up to Stonehaven fairly recently, and fancy catching some of these moster trout I've been hearing about.

I tried Monymusk a few weeks ago, but I fancy something a bit closer to Aberdeen.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Colin Sunley

Re:
« Reply #337 on: 10/08/2014 at 00:21 »
Don water level highest I've seen it in a while, about 12" in visibility very dark

Julius

« Reply #338 on: 13/08/2014 at 17:36 »
yeh its up a lot, you guys caught anything with water level up so high ? i think there was a website for monitoring water levels ?

Simon Hall

« Reply #339 on: 15/08/2014 at 22:31 »
Was out tonight and water highest I've seen all summer. Landed a brownie just under 1lb, but nothing else, not even a nibble. Tough fishing, but still fun!

Simon

« Reply #340 on: 19/08/2014 at 10:57 »
I recently fished the Kintore and Alford council waters without much success. They both look like nice stretches. What are the best trout tactics for this time of year?

Simon

« Reply #341 on: 23/08/2014 at 11:22 »
I was out on the Don yesterday evening for a little while. It was a bit chilly! I did get a few fish on wet flies, but nothing notable. I hope the weather gets a bit more seasonable before the end of the season. It's a long winter.  :cry

Simon

« Reply #342 on: 04/09/2014 at 09:32 »
I was out on the river yesterday afternoon. Not a sausage!   :z6  Can anyone recommend a good book or dvd on river fly fishing?

Iain Cameron

« Reply #343 on: 09/09/2014 at 06:11 »
I was out on the river yesterday afternoon. Not a sausage!   :z6  Can anyone recommend a good book or dvd on river fly fishing?

With water levels up and down, it's not felt quite so fishy on the river recently; I prefer more settled levels. 

Anyway, one book I'd recommend is Rosenbauer's 'Guide to Prospecting for Trout" - US-focused (so you'll need to 'translate' headwaters and spring creeks), but covers ground on wets, streamers, nymphs and dries, as well as some good reading on habitat & behaviour:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orvis-Guide-Prospecting-Trout-Theres/dp/1599211475/ref=la_B001JP1YCI_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1410239122&sr=1-2

cheers
iain

« Reply #344 on: 28/09/2014 at 11:51 »
Another troot season drawing to a close. any one know what like Moonhaugh and Bandley is like for parking the motor at the roadside and access to the river bank etc thanks. and is it any good for troot  :z8

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com