« Reply #315 on: 02/07/2014 at 05:35 »
Noel,

cracking troots, well done.

Eddie. :z14 :z16

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Don 2014
« Reply #316 on: 02/07/2014 at 09:30 »
On a sour note  :z10

Someone murdered a 4lbr on monday night  :mad :mad It seems some people still can't read their permit, if they have one. :mad :mad

Theres a good reason all trout over 18" are supposed to go back.

So people, please remember to return the spotties and if you see someone who doesn't, make a judgement call on whether or not to speak to them and let the Proprietors know, it is our resposibility to report the actions, but the authorities need to enforce the rules.

Cheers

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #317 on: 02/07/2014 at 10:09 »
Crackin stuff and cracking troots Noel / Scott.
Lovin the colours on the first one Sandy, you couldn't paint them on as red as that.

Yup hate to hear of big troots getting chapped, working on somehting with the MFTI group regarding wether these big fish breed big fish (certainly a lot of evidence to support this) or if it's a simple case of exploiting an abundant food source.
If they can prove the big fish breed big fish bit then it makes the safe return even more important as removal could have a direct impact on these fish.

Need to get out fishing more, heading over to Don on Sunday but sadly i'm acting as a controller for the SNFFL and not fishing. 

Jazzaman1234

« Reply #318 on: 02/07/2014 at 10:51 »
Hi Guys

I saw around 8 people fishing around 7 this morning in a line down the inverurie beat.

I am 99% sure thay were travelers :(

« Reply #319 on: 04/07/2014 at 21:34 »
Crackin stuff and cracking troots Noel / Scott.
Lovin the colours on the first one Sandy, you couldn't paint them on as red as that.

Yup hate to hear of big troots getting chapped, working on somehting with the MFTI group regarding wether these big fish breed big fish (certainly a lot of evidence to support this) or if it's a simple case of exploiting an abundant food source.
If they can prove the big fish breed big fish bit then it makes the safe return even more important as removal could have a direct impact on these fish.

Need to get out fishing more, heading over to Don on Sunday but sadly i'm acting as a controller for the SNFFL and not fishing. 

Mind and bring some killing patterns Allan !, it was hard going for me the last time I was there , 🎣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #320 on: 05/07/2014 at 09:44 »
Well, Last night continued the theme for the week of a difficult and seemingly barren river where the fish only rise once. :z6

we hoped the rain might liven things up a bit so we headed back to a couple of favourite spots and settled in under the trees to watch in a small degree of shelter.

3hrs spent watching this small stretch, but then why wouldn't you :cool:

Only the occasional rise for most of the evening, until the rain eased off, then as it settled down there was a nice hatch of Blue winged Olives and yellow mays. A few steady risers started to feed although none seemed to be of any great size. Eventually a couple of better fish showed themselves, so it was time to get the feet wet.
One went straight down on being covered and the other came straight up and snaffled the CDC spider (which was very hard to keep dry in the damp air :roll)

So it took 3 hours of patient waiting in a spot i know holds good fish, to get this decent acrobat who was bang on the 2lb mark in the net.

Well pleased after a hard week, hopefully we'll get a bit more rain to freshen things up and then back into more regular sport as things settle back down.

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #321 on: 05/07/2014 at 20:35 »
Great pics Sandy :z16

Yes it was an enjoyable evening, about as enjoyable as rain that puts your smokes out and waters down your coffee type of evenings can be.

My waistcoat is now drying out nicely and only weighs about 25% more than it should do :z4

The water was colouring up as the evening went on and I guess this played a part in the sporadic rises, but there was certainly plenty of insect life on the go.

I only spotted one fish that rose more than once, a tricky kind of cast from the tree lined bank and my first two efforts were quite rightly refused, but I managed to get a bit of a wiggle into the third cast and the improved presentation was sipped down nicely.

A bonnie wee trout :cool: pity about the photography :z4

Cheers
Mike

Julius

« Reply #322 on: 07/07/2014 at 20:14 »
" So it took 3 hours of patient waiting in a spot i know holds good fish, to get this decent acrobat who was bang on the 2lb mark in the net.  "

Sandy

So are you saying its pointless to cast the fly round the river unless you spot a fish ?

would be hard to believe you better off standing about having a tea but i am still new to fly  ???, thought i'll ask can yo expand on it please ?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #323 on: 08/07/2014 at 09:07 »
So are you saying its pointless to cast the fly round the river unless you spot a fish ?
better off standing about having a tea

Not pointless Julius, just not my thing. I'd rather wait and drink tea than cast onto water blind and potentially spook the good fish before i even know where they are.

Over the years i have learned that i prefer to fish with dry-fly and spiders, for them to be more effective i need a feeding target. So its a confidence thing more than anything. Some people have more confidence in fishing wet flies and are happy to swing the flies with the current in the manner of salmon and sea-trout fishers. They catch plenty fish although personally i find i catch a lot of smaller fish doing this and not many decent (12"+) fish. I'm much happier being able to see where my fly is and knowing i am covering a feeding fish, it becomes a personal challenge to present the fly in a way that the fish will take it and thats what gives me the buzz :z12 I know a few of us are very much the same in this, but everyone is different in what makes fly fishing their passion.

I Prefer to catch bigger fish so i spend time watching the river looking for those fish i regard as decent size. It takes time to recognise them from their rise-forms, but once you have seen a few it gets a bit easier, if you tie that knowledge with learning how to read the river and get familiar with the kinds of places that good fish like to live then you have the beginnings of an addictive future chasing big trout. We had a wee post on the main forum a while ago that had some pointers to help get started with this. http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6239.0

Another good reason for waiting and watching is that as many large fish will often be close to my bank as there are close to the other side, this makes them much easier to reach and present too, if you start fishing straight away you will never see them as they spook and often swim across river to continue feeding, one of the main reasons a lot of people often believe that all the fish are over the other side. The fish don't know sides they just know a good lie that brings them food.

I had this one last month from a spot that was only 15ft out from my bank, I only had to wait about 10 min before i recognised that it was good fish feeding steadily, i was lucky that day as no-one had fished the pool for at least 2-3 hrs before i saw the fish, so he was rising quite confidently, he was approached on hands and knees and it took 3 cast to get the drift right. It was dryfly (DHE again) sized to match the olives that were hatching.

Spending time watching will also help you figure out what the fish are feeding on, i find once i spot a feeding fish i then try to spot the flies that are drifting towards it, as i spot them i will track them down over the spot and see which ones the fish will rise for. This years observations so far have me believing that the fish only really choose to eat Olives (of all sizes and shades) they will take other flies opportunistically but only seem to actively wait and feed on olives. (this so far only applies to the first 3 months)

Hopefully that helps answer your question. The way i fish is a choice and it represents the way that brings me the most pleasure, however it has taken 30+ years to reach the stage where i have the patience to realise that is the case. I know some of my fishing mates have more patience than i have and consequently have a better catch rate of even bigger fish.

So there is nothing wrong or ineffective about casting around the river, but if you want to catch better fish more regularly then taking the time to wait and watch as well as learning the habitats and food that the fish partake of all combine to improve your chances.

Cheers :z18

Sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #324 on: 08/07/2014 at 10:11 »
Excellent post sandy  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #325 on: 08/07/2014 at 11:49 »
Good question Julius ....... and an excellent reply Sandy :z16

Colin Sunley

Re:
« Reply #326 on: 08/07/2014 at 16:19 »
That works to point, but if you splash your cast and spook the fish your not going to sit for another 3 hours your going to default and adopt a cast and pray method like most of my fishing trips & hopping that my next trip ill have a better cast

Sandy Nelson

Re:
« Reply #327 on: 08/07/2014 at 17:00 »
That works to point, but if you splash your cast

Stick to your 5wt, fit a tapered leader and remember to add that 2 seconds we talked about. :z16

Sandy

Julius

« Reply #328 on: 08/07/2014 at 18:45 »
Sandy thanks very much for taking the time with reply  :z16

well its my first trout right here, and yes i noticed it was feeding on the other side, and as you say right enough i was too loud so ive had to cast it really far to the other side to reach him,but im trying to be stealthy and working on it,  I caught it at ury / don bit @ Inverurie, march brown 16

what about the bubbles coming out of water you notice almost every time out fishing, would that be trout too or perhaps just a buildup of oxygen underneath ?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #329 on: 09/07/2014 at 11:15 »
what about the bubbles coming out of water you notice almost every time out fishing, would that be trout too or perhaps just a buildup of oxygen underneath ?

Two options, bubbles caused by water running over rocks/rapids and floating off downstream, or, on slower bits of river, escaping gas from silt build up on the bottom.

It is fair to say that on a still water containing fish such as Tench, Bream and Carp, there is a distinct possibility that bubbles are caused by the fish rooting about in silt. Eels will also cause the same, but normally as a sudden large, long patch of small bubbles as they roll in the silt, kicking up food items.

I have yet to see a river trout rooting about in the bottom, but I guess it is possible.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com