Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

New purchase
« on: 03/05/2009 at 23:44 »
Well, I finally went and bought a tube and fins (and a Battenkill LA  :roll) with the leaving money I got from my collegues at my last place so I am looking forward to spending some time on my tube after Trout and Pike.  :z16 :z16

forgot to say...lifejacket on the way too :)

Iain Cameron

Re: New purchase
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/2009 at 09:35 »
good stuff. which make of tube did you go for?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 04/05/2009 at 21:27 »
A Shakey...they also had the Snowbee at the same price but I know Steve PArton had a lot of input into the Shakey one so felt it suited my needs perfectly.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 05/05/2009 at 00:33 »
excellent choice Rob by far the best on the mmarket IMHO - if I was replacing mine it would be a no brainer. One niggle though is apparently is the seat you slip down it apparently

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 05/05/2009 at 08:23 »
One niggle though is apparently is the seat you slip down it apparently

Hi Peter,
the only time I experienced that was when I used to fully inflate the 'backrest' bladders which must have kept me more upright and possibly leaning ever so slighly forward as opposed to nestling into ones favourite armchair.

I bet I know where you're headed Roberto!?

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 06/05/2009 at 02:37 »
I bet I know where you're headed Roberto!?

Please give me a clue..lol..the place I thought I could get on has told me no!! Grrrrr..might have a go for the PIke instead ;)

Stuart Smith

« Reply #6 on: 07/05/2009 at 19:40 »
hi peter and rob

had a shakey for a couple of years and found out if you blow it up as had as u can with your mouth them give it one or two pumps of air with a pump its fine.(peter kev knows im write he just want say so he just puts up with sliding out all day)

cracking tube would have anything else

youyr going to have loads of fun on it Rob

stuart

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 09/05/2009 at 18:51 »
Lifejacket arrived..auto and manual, 150 N, £38, all the correct safety tests etc:)

Rather than go to a fishing shop I went direct to the manufacturers :) They make for the offshore industry /fishing companies etc .

Company is called The Marine Warehouse in Swansea,

ameliasdaddy

« Reply #8 on: 10/05/2009 at 09:10 »
excellent choice Rob by far the best on the mmarket IMHO - if I was replacing mine it would be a no brainer. One niggle though is apparently is the seat you slip down it apparently

That is correct about slipping down the seat however the problem was completely rectified for me by buying a sparton inflatable cushion. To attach it I use 2 cable ties , one through each of the straps which join the saddle to the backrest. Do attach them loosely though as I think it works best if you get sort of behind the cushion when sitting ( poor description sorry ).  I was also surprised at to the difference in mobility I felt give that I'm only sitting about 2 inches higher. Well worth the investment of under £20.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 10/05/2009 at 23:00 »
A few folk have mentioned Spartons "pile saver" cushion..may have to have a wee look around for something similar.

Andy Wren

« Reply #10 on: 11/05/2009 at 06:37 »
Very much a tubing newbie ,but I just put the pile comforter on the seat certainly helps with slipping .
The pile comforter goes boat fishing with me all the time ,a great peice of kit !

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 14/05/2009 at 22:00 »
Rob's "maiden voyage" :z16

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 14/05/2009 at 22:24 »
Thanks for the pictures Mike :)

I think the second one shows the source of my "wet back and bum"..looked out my old high back neoprenes..just have to sort the holes in the feet!!

Oh..and thanks once more for the hospitality!

Iain Cameron

« Reply #13 on: 16/05/2009 at 09:03 »

I think the second one shows the source of my "wet back and bum"..looked out my old high back neoprenes..just have to sort the holes in the feet!!

hey rob... nice pic... my mate's wee baby boy smiles like that when peeing his nappy.... you sure it was haddo water coming over the waders that caused your damp spots... 

hope the neoprenese are fixable... tubing while wet is no fun

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 16/05/2009 at 18:30 »
Cheeky sod!!!  :z4

Just so happens I was sitting in the bath checking for leaks yesterday...hmmmm..leaking right on my dangly bits...but half a tube of Aquasure and we will see if I am successful tomorrow!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com