Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Who is coming Roach fishing on Loriston then?
« on: 10/02/2012 at 14:11 »
Now that the ADAA have officially anounced that coarse fishing will be available to members and to a newly formed coarse section (must become an associate member and will only be allowed to fish Loriston), who is comming Roach fishing?

They kept that one quiet!

I have to congratulate the ADAA on there forward thinking on this one.

I have no idea who was involved with starting this, but thank you.

Ben Dixon

Re: Who is coming Roach fishing on Loriston then?
« Reply #1 on: 10/02/2012 at 16:08 »
Rob,

I think you must have made a mistake, this is not a ned fishing forum  :z7

Let me guess, you're going to tie some braid to the end of a rod and use plastic maggots?  :z4

What else is there other than the Roach that can be fly caught?

Cheers

Ben

adambrain

« Reply #2 on: 11/02/2012 at 13:34 »
I'd defo love to break the match rod out again but not a member. Are yo sure you can't fish on a day ticket? I was under the impression you could get a day ticket for Loriston if you lived in the Aberdeenshire area ??

Adam.

Iain Cameron

Re: Who is coming Roach fishing on Loirston then?
« Reply #3 on: 11/02/2012 at 17:12 »
Are yo sure you can't fish on a day ticket? I was under the impression you could get a day ticket for Loriston if you lived in the Aberdeenshire area ??

the rules for last year said yes, but for Rainbow fishing. They've not been updated yet for 2012, guess that will follow soon.
Great to see the ADAA taking this on for a trial - the rules/regs for the coarse fishing are at http://www.adaa.org.uk/coarseAnglingPage.php - guess if you contact the adaa secretary (details on that page) you could enquire about visitor tickets or getting involved in the AC(oarse)AA.
note that these rules say the season is all year round, but that the trial doesn't start until 1st march 2012

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2012 at 08:20 »
Apparently the coarse club is limited to 20 anglers with a waiting list in operation. Still unsure as to the rules regarding existing ADAA members. Says that they can "try" coarse fishing but the ACAA are running the coarse fishing. I do hope thats not the case and that ADAA members have the right to fish for the Roach at any time that the coarse "season" is open.

As for you Ben, you heathen! lol. You boys fish so heavy for the trout its actually unsporting ;) 5 lb leaders and size 12 hooks for poor wee stocked Brownies of 6 inches with a bright blue dot on there bellies ;)  :X1

Seriously though, openning up coarse fishing will encourage people that may be unable to fly fish (dissabilities, age etc) and maybe bring a few more younger members into the ADAA for the future. There are loads of fly anglers who cut there teeth on coarse fishing.

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 13/02/2012 at 21:05 »
Hi Rob,

My understanding from reading the stuff on the website is that ADAA members can fish for coarse fish at Loirston within the coarse fishing rules. This would mean sticking strictly to the designated coarse areas, seasons and methods when targetting roach. My understanding is, and I may have got this wrong, but ADAA game anglers can still fish for trout within the designated coarse areas. The only conflict I can see is that ADAA members are allowed to worm for trout over the winter and early spring so not sure how you can say what you are targetting ? !!

ACAA are there by invitation and on a trial basis only - 6 months according to the website. Personally, I welcome them and wish them every sucess in their fishing at Loirston. Might be a good amusement over the close season winter months for bored trout fishers too, though sitting about on your erse for hours at a time in the cold is not exactly a favourite pastime of mine ?

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2012 at 08:43 »
Hi Rob,

My understanding from reading the stuff on the website is that ADAA members can fish for coarse fish at Loirston within the coarse fishing rules.

Cheers, I saw that bit, my concern was that it said "may try" as opposed to "may fish". I thought for a minute that they had to join the ACAA to be able to fish all the time, but Bob Dey has cleared that up for me. ADAA members can Roach fish anytime whilst the trial is ongoing., as long as they stick to the correct areas. Suits me fine :)

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Dutchfly

« Reply #7 on: 14/02/2012 at 17:41 »
Hi Rob,

You can allways say that you were flyfishing Tenkara style  :wink

Cheers,

Jeroen

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 15/02/2012 at 08:38 »
Hi Rob,

You can allways say that you were flyfishing Tenkara style  :wink

Cheers,

Jeroen

I am still trying to work out the legality of Tenkara fishing on the Don. I have a 14.5 metre pole that I could easily place a fly in areas impossible by casting :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com