Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

It doesn't work!
« on: 05/03/2010 at 21:02 »
What popular fly,s or methods don't work for you?
A few of mine are
Cormorants
Woolly buggers 
PTN's

Have never had a fish on any of those. 

Cant really think of a method, was buzzers for years but I finally briefly found the patience one day to leave the fly line alone...it worked but man was it boring.

Jay Scott

Re: It doesn't work!
« Reply #1 on: 05/03/2010 at 21:07 »

I have to admit i have never managed to catch on Cormorants either.

Jay

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 05/03/2010 at 21:11 »
I think you need to invest in some decent cormorant chaps, 50% of last seasons fish fell to cormorants  :z18
Drifting boats and standard buzzers dont fish well for me and often opt for snatchers when its to hard to keep a buzzer at a life like speed and the drift is quite quick!
Pearly cormorants are a great fry pattern and can be taken as nymphs/buzzers also  :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 05/03/2010 at 21:13 »
What popular fly,s or methods don't work for you?

Peter Ross - never ever caught a damn thing on it  :roll

Other than that, I must be blessed  :wink

:z3

Jay Scott

« Reply #4 on: 05/03/2010 at 21:15 »
I noticed a there is a huge variation on proportion on the cormorants in my box but i think a lot of it might be a confidence thing, if they havent been successful a couple times i tend not to try them again.

Jay

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 05/03/2010 at 21:28 »
I remember when i couldnt catch on a buzzer, once i persevered i only wished i had used them sooner, some things are just meant for catching fish, i think buzzers and cormorants are up there with the best patterns  :z18

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 05/03/2010 at 21:50 »
Think I must have some quality cormorants Baz, well some of them were tied by your good self anyway :z4
How do you fish them?

Snatchers, now there,s another that doesn't work and they look the business.   

Peter ross, hmmm pretty sure I caught on it occasionally when I started off but don't think I carry any nowadays.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 05/03/2010 at 22:13 »
Snatchers work well pulled fast over rising fish, slow through rising fish and deep and fast for brownies  :wink
Cormorants work well on a midge tip washing line style , or fished on an intermediate line with a blob as the top dropper and a couple of cormies chasing behind it!
Just my thoughts anyway  :z16

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #8 on: 05/03/2010 at 22:21 »
Half hogs. 

It was copper johns until last year when I took quite a few fish on it but HH I can not buy a bite.

It is interesting to see one of my favourites in the opener for this post, the PTN.  Tied Troth style with a peacock thorax, fishing with fast short (2-3") twitches in the summer it can be deadly.  Tied Sawyer style and fished slow it works when fish are a little deeper.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 05/03/2010 at 22:25 »
Snatchers work well pulled fast over rising fish, slow through rising fish and deep and fast for brownies  :wink
Cormorants work well on a midge tip washing line style , or fished on an intermediate line with a blob as the top dropper and a couple of cormies chasing behind it!
Just my thoughts anyway  :z16

Interesting Baz, I rarely get the sinkers out on stillwaters.  Should probably do more of it.

I tend to catch very few on cormorants too.  Usually do very well on buzzers though and woolly buggers, how can anyone fail to catch on a woolly bugger  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Paul Rankine

« Reply #10 on: 05/03/2010 at 22:41 »
Hi All,
           Going to side with Baz here but also to say that it obviously depends on what you and the fish are doing. Need to observe there.

Time and place matter too. It's never the same conditions twice. What worked fly wise yesterday might not work tomorrow but similar flies under similar conditions might just .

Lots of variables . Why we do it .

Paul.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 06/03/2010 at 01:18 »
To continue the theme, I agree with Paul :z4

However in its natural form, my bogey fly is the PTN.
I know how, when, where and why to use it, but unless it has hares ear or pearl in it, then i don't catch with it.
However i have a fancy that if when i ever get to fish a chalkstream, it might just work for me :grin

With H.E. it catches loads  :z8
most likely down to usage :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

ryan

« Reply #12 on: 06/03/2010 at 12:49 »
never had a thing on bloodworm last year only got about two on them in the last two years took some time to catch on buzzers started fishing them slowly just bellow surface and never looked back does anyone know the best way to fish wsw :?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 06/03/2010 at 13:12 »
does anyone know the best way to fish wsw :?

Walter does :wink

:z4

sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 06/03/2010 at 21:29 »

Walter does :wink

.......but he's not saying - 'cos it's his secret weapon  :z4

:z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com