Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Klink Questions
« on: 21/05/2012 at 21:13 »
All,

Two questions:
1) when you've tied in the peacock herl and made the thorax and form the hackle do you wind the hackle up or down the wing post and how do you avoid tieing in the hackle when you finish off the silk?
2) how big a klink do you need to suspend one of a pheasant tail nymph with a tungsten bead on it?

Cheers

Matt

Loxiafan

Re: Klink Questions
« Reply #1 on: 21/05/2012 at 23:17 »
Hi Matt,

I tie them ala Ollie Edwards except on small ones where I sort of 'bow tie' the areowing rather than tapering it down the body. The hackle is wound down the wing post and tied off with Spiderweb. The hook if turned 90 degrees in the vice, point down so to speak, which assists a neat whip finish. This method prevents trapping down the hackle with the thorax material too. I use this same method for paraduns.

I am sure a 'Klink and Dinker' will be along to answer the 'fishing' question more specifically. Not a method I am daft on for the Don, but that seems to be just me  :z8

Lindsay

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 21/05/2012 at 23:50 »
How big a nymph & what size of bead?  :X2

Tie off the fly by whip finishing under the wound hackle, as Lindsay says a la Ollie. Needs practice, a reasonably fine thread and as few turns as you can get away with. I've been tying a pile of Klinks over the past week  and I've been  using two turns to catch down the hackle then a three turn whip finish. I wax the thread before the whip, saves mucking up the hackles with varnish.  :z16

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 22/05/2012 at 07:21 »
Thanks chaps. So should the hackle fibres be curved up or down the way? I watched a few Davie McPhail videos last night and couldn't quite tell. He did use two different methods to tie in the hackle one as you've both described and another one slightly different. Will try them tonight and see how I get on.

Probably a size 12 or 14 nymph with a ~2mm bead either tungsten or brass.

Cheers Matt

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 22/05/2012 at 07:37 »
I wax the thread before the whip, saves mucking up the hackles with varnish.  :z16

most excellent tip   :z16

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 22/05/2012 at 10:31 »
Thanks chaps. So should the hackle fibres be curved up or down the way? I watched a few Davie McPhail videos last night and couldn't quite tell. He did use two different methods to tie in the hackle one as you've both described and another one slightly different. Will try them tonight and see how I get on.

Probably a size 12 or 14 nymph with a ~2mm bead either tungsten or brass.

Cheers Matt

Ah now theres a thing. If you can get a copy of Ollies video 'big dry flies' it reveals a van Klinken tip, Ollie tied the hackles curving down but Hans told him that he ties them curving upwards to hang more of the body down in the film. personally I've never noticed the difference but it may be worth experimenting.

I tend to fish a Hare & copper or Pheasant tail with copper wire but I would think  a 16 or 14 klink (assuming partridge Klinkhamer Hooks) would easily hold up your flies.

Regards

Peter

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 22/05/2012 at 13:59 »
Hi Matt,

For "indicator" Klinks, go longer than you would on the hackle and add an extra turn.  Tie in the post however suits, I do as Lindsay does.  Make some touching turns up the post and back down again before you tie in the hackle to stiffen it up a bit, this makes winding the hackle under high tension (essential if you want the flyy to last) much easier.  Bind stem to post from bottom to top and wind hackle from top to bottom.  I finish under the post with two half hitches and put a drop of vanrish on the thread before pulling tight under the hackle with a dubbing needle.  If you can get hold of some, the best feathers IMO are Whiting genetic saddles and without doubt, for floatability, Tiemco Aero Dry Wing is the stuff you want.  I like a strand of white & a strand of pink or orange.
In terms of hackle up or down, with the above it is not an issue.

Cheers

Ben

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 22/05/2012 at 15:57 »
I have found that a Gallows tool makes life easier when tying Klinks. Mine has a hackle plier on the end of a spring and that keeps the post tight so that winding the hackle becomes easier, with tight wraps being the norm.

Wind up and then down, then whip - simples!

:z1

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 22/05/2012 at 19:45 »
Thanks gents. Will have another bash at making a few tonight and let you know how I get on.

Cheers Matt

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #9 on: 22/05/2012 at 20:10 »
hi Matt,
concerning the tying-off of the hackle, i'm not exactly sure what the others have suggested since i don't have OE's videos anymore so i'll offer a little suggestion that was showed to me some years back that makes life a lot easier.
don't dub the thorax until after the hackle is wound and tied off and tie it off on the hook shank between the post and hook eye instead of right next to the post where it's a pain. this way there's no need for varnish or superglue and there's plenty of space to fold back the hackles to do it cleanly and comfortably.

high-float 'indicator' klink posts can be made of foam to hold up heavier tungsten-headed nymphs for faster water.
the thorax can also be made of foam.  :wink:

i hope this helps,
marc

Matt Henderson

« Reply #10 on: 22/05/2012 at 21:51 »
Right had another shot at it. Tied one on a size 16 partridge klink hook and took heed of all of the advice. It's a trick I've used with Salmon flies and it worked a treat. Bigger hook gives more space to work things out. Anyways I wasn't making the post long enough so wasn't leaving enough room to wind the hackle. Made a huge difference. Then tied one on a size 16 tiemco dry fly and nymph hook 2499sp-bl. Much better than last night's effort.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Matt

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 22/05/2012 at 21:59 »
Then tied one on a size 16 tiemco dry fly and nymph hook 2499sp-bl. Much better than last night's effort.

Post a pic Matt, we'll be the judge of that  :z4

Matt Henderson

« Reply #12 on: 22/05/2012 at 22:01 »
Will take some snaps tomorrow. Small issue with memory cards, RAW and Jpeg tonight!

Alex Burnett

« Reply #13 on: 22/05/2012 at 23:35 »
Matt

#16, you tying Klinks for Pike!!! :z8

You need to get yourself some TMC 518 #32  :X2

They do unfortunately need de-barbing with a VERY small pliers!!!

Alex

Matt Henderson

« Reply #14 on: 23/05/2012 at 06:45 »
I was hoping the bigger the fly the fatter the trout!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com