Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

andreb

greetings, I am a new member
« on: 06/09/2010 at 18:25 »
Greetings fellow fly fishing fanatics.
My name is Andre, and I am from Cape Town. My home waters are in the mountains of the Cape Winelands, probably the most picturesque wild trout rivers on earth, second only to Scotland of course. My first love is wild trout rivers, and light tackle. I have lurked on this forum for a while, and am happy that there are many people here, that share my passion for untra light and technical trout fishing. I have been of one or two UK based fly fishing forums, and am tyred of being told that the only way to fish a river is with a 6wt, and a stillwater with an 8 wt. I am one of the breed that does it ethically, and within the limits of the tackle I choose to use for the particular application, while pushing my tackle to the limit, to find my own limitations. I am a strict follower of catch and release, and fish only with barbless hooks. I enjoy dry fly fishing, nymphing, and any other technique that can seduce a spooky trout from it's lie.
I was introduced to this forum by "Catman", aka Alex, who I have had the priviledge of fishing with, on my home waters.
I look forward to some stimulating discussion with some of the members here, some of whom I recognise by name, and have a world of respect for their reputations.
I am here to learn about your home waters, and how you fish them, as well as to offer any constructive contribution that I can to the discussions.

Jim Eddie

Re: greetings, I am a new member
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/2010 at 18:28 »
Welcome to the forum

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 06/09/2010 at 19:44 »
Hi Andre and welcome. Season must be underway for you guys by now? Ours is coming to an end for wild fish but we are lucky to have some excellent stocked fishery options to keep us going through the winter. When they are not frozen that is...
The river trout season has only got a month left which is not a good thought...

On a brighter note I will be coming back to Cape Town around new years for 3/4 weeks so maybe we can get to do some fishing.
Im well familiar with your posts on flytalk so I know you will be a valuable and welcome member here :z16
Noel.
 :z18
Our local river is The river Don, there is a section where we put up reports etc so maybe some reading there for you to get started. Now im still at work so its time I got outa here..

Irvine Ross

« Reply #3 on: 06/09/2010 at 20:11 »
Hello Andre

Welcome to the forum. Its always good to have another like minded angler to swap ideas with.

cheers
Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 06/09/2010 at 20:25 »
Hi Andre,

welcome.
You say 'light', what weights are you talking? I purchased a 2wt SPL about 9 months ago and when conditions are right it's a revelation. I was looking into possibly a 1wt and am intrigued by these 0, 00 & 000's - I hear Sage have brought out a new TXL-F, if only money weren't a concern.

I have a question for you, one which I've asked before but would like your take on things. I fished a size 22 dry last Friday on 2.8lb 7X (0.004") Froghair tippet and felt it was too thick so changed to a 1.75lb 8X Orvis Super Strong tippet (0.003"), and If I'd something thinner I'd have tried it too.  

Would you like to describe a typical light dry fly leader set up on your local river, minimum fly size, patterns, tippet diameters, etc.............. just so that I can get a feel for your set up/ style.

O!h and pictures are nice. As Noel says the River Don has a large focus in the area, and on this site, so his mention of the River Don Reports thread will give you an idea of what we're about.

Thanks

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 06/09/2010 at 21:57 »
Hi Andre
Welcome to the forum :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com