Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Livingstone

First trout outing in Norway
« on: 25/05/2008 at 16:12 »
Well, thought I'd been quiet for long enough and have now been out fishing some trout over here in Norge.  :z16

Anyway, I sussed out a little of the fishing rules and regs over here and where I could get a fiskekort so I headed about 45minutes south of Stavanger on a scouting trip with my mate Keith, to try our hand on a lake or 2.  I also got my Shay bamboo rod bamboo from receiving some TLC from Mike Shay and NEEDED to try it out!  We drove and stopped at all convenient place along the way to check out the water and see if there was much happening.  We passed a few worm drowners so kept going until we saw no one.

We set up with bugs in the air and just as a few rises started to appear so I set up with an emerger and rose one but missed it but after moving slowly along the shore here is the result.

This was followed by the twin within 20minutes

We checked our map and saw we could fish another few lakes higher up so set of up the stream we thought was marked on the map but realised that it wasn't the one but it didn't matter too much as we just had to wolk over a ridge to get back on track.  The water at this lake was wirth the trip. It was so clear and because it was away from the road it was sooooo quiet.  I almost forgot I was in Norway as it was like the places I grew up fishing in the Highlands.

The fish at this lake appeared small but I was only casting to rises and sitting relaxing.  Only seeing 3 rises I managed to get 2 of the fish, both around 7-8"

So, that was about it but we did see a nice little stream we want to try out at some point in the very near future.

Tight lines (or skitt fisk as they say over here)

Mike

Jim Eddie

Re: First trout outing in Norway
« Reply #1 on: 25/05/2008 at 21:14 »
Mike

I'm jealous , just got back from Stavanger yesterday , have been going for years now  , never had time to go fishing though  :cry

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 25/05/2008 at 21:31 »
Great stuff Mike :z16

I just love to see what everybody gets up to in other locations ........ awesome! :cool:

Thanks
Mike Barrio

clark

« Reply #3 on: 25/05/2008 at 22:32 »
Cool someone else who lives or in my has lived in Norway!! I moved there when i was only two years old and caught the fishing bug at the age of three. I went fishing with my dad every weekend in the summer , we usually targeted mackerel but on ocassion we caught the odd wrasse and one day my dad even caught a ling! I then moved back aberdeen at the tender age of 8 and have lived here ever since ! :grin i am now 15 and i am a keen fly fisherman. But though i never fly fished there i have always dream of what it would be like to have a norweigen lake all to my self! But before i wander off in to my own little fishing world i wanted to ask what kind of fly u were using as a friend of my fathers is going there soon and has asked me to tie up some patterns that will "catch fish" !

Nice to see someone else enjoying the splenders of the beautiful and very wild country of Norway.  :z16  :z16  :z12

Clark

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #4 on: 26/05/2008 at 17:50 »
Clark,

Here is the fly I was catching on but to be honest I don't think they are too fussy.

It is basically a curved hook, snowshoe hares foot wing and hares ear body.  I call it a bad hare day but I am sure it has a thousand names.

Try Deer hair emergers, pennels, caddis emergers.

Basically, there were midge, caddis and mayflies coming off the water when we were there.

Most people around here seem to drown worms or throw mepps!

Hope this helps,

Mike

clark

« Reply #5 on: 28/05/2008 at 19:35 »
thanks mike it certainly will !

cheers clark

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com