Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andy Finlay

Single Handed Spey Casting rod advice
« on: 24/02/2012 at 11:19 »
Probably been covered before but I was wondering, if I was to have a try at single handed spey casting later in the year, what sort of rod / line would be recommended. Looking for advice on rod length / models and line weight / models as well.

Hamish Young

Re: Single Handed Spey Casting rod advice
« Reply #1 on: 24/02/2012 at 11:31 »
Andy,
Couple of questions before giving any suggestions:
What do you intend fishing for :? (just Trout, or Sea Trout & Salmon or all :?)
Where :?
How often :?
What kit do you have at present :?
H :z3

Andy Finlay

« Reply #2 on: 24/02/2012 at 11:33 »
Hamish,

Will be fishing the Don all season.

I've got several 9ft rods all 4 & 5wt but was thinking might need something a bit longer 10ft+ and 6wt or above.

Would be for both trout and Salmon.

Brian McGlashan

« Reply #3 on: 24/02/2012 at 16:05 »
Hi Andy,
I do a lot of Salmon/Trout Fishing with single handed rods.
I use a 9ft 8# For Salmon and 9ft4 and 5# for trout. I suppose any line with a shortish head would work but I have been mucking about with the SLX 5# and I will be really honest, it works a treat and I can't fault it.
As Hamish suggests there will be a lot of variables in a lot of different scenarios so the Answer I have given is only based on my experiences.

Best Regards

Brian McGlashan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 24/02/2012 at 18:45 »
Hi Andy,

You can Spey cast with any rod & line but it is easier to Spey cast a shorter heavier head particularly when just acquiring the skills.  If looking for a salmon & sea trout outfit then go for a rod rated for a #7 or #8 line 9'6" or 10' in length and a matching SLX line.

CHeers

Ben

Andy Finlay

« Reply #5 on: 24/02/2012 at 22:39 »
Cheers guys, as Ben mentions I'm just acquiring spey casting skills so will have a look for a rod in the #7 line 10ft range.

Any suggestions on a particular rod to look out for second hand as it wont be my most used rod, just something to play about at when the mood takes, would prefer something light and easy to cast.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 24/02/2012 at 22:47 »
Hi Andy,

Line is more important than the rod (as long as it is not really bad), see what GAC have on their clearance list.

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 25/02/2012 at 08:12 »
Andy,
The SLX is indeed an ideal line for the job, or you could go down the home made shooting head route (not as elegant, but it works and fun to experiment). Ebay may well be your friend in finding something and as Ben suggests so will the clearance at various well known companies.... Mullarkeys for example are doing a very good price on the Wychwood Truefly SLA range (nice rods IMHO) and you'll pick up a 10ft #7wt for a penny under £90 at the moment.
Cheers,
H :z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com