Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Reid

Where to buy from?
« on: 09/11/2010 at 21:52 »
Does anyone have any preferred websites where they get materials.  i was on flytying boutique tonight trying to get some stuff and a lot of the materials I was looking for were out of stock.  :shock

I was looking for shellback, sticky lead, coq de leon, aero wing, watershed and some hooks.  I never managed to get the majority of the stuff I was looking for and most stuff I clicked on was out of stock. The stuff I could get I got halfway through the checkout and it crashed.  :mad

Can you suggest anywhere?

Thanks

John

Barry Robertson

Re: Where to buy from?
« Reply #1 on: 09/11/2010 at 22:01 »
I think after time you will have a select few, every shop has there thing they are good at!

I like the following:
Anderson angling
Celtic fly tying
Cookshill
Flytec

Dont think you will ever find one shop to tick all the boxes  :z18

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 09/11/2010 at 22:02 »
I'm a big fan of flymakers. You'll find them if you google them. They don't have the most exotic stuff for basics it's pretty good and for hooks it can be very good value.

John Reid

« Reply #3 on: 09/11/2010 at 22:38 »
Thanks Baz.

I will be in Andersons on Saturday so will get some stuff then.

Matt, can you go to flymakers in Aberdeen or is it all mail order?
 :z18

Tiam

« Reply #4 on: 09/11/2010 at 22:45 »
I got most of my stuff of "fishingmegastore.com" there really quite good and have fast delivary on the couple of orders that i have put in :wink

All the Best
Tiam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 10/11/2010 at 05:25 »
John

I always tended to use Sportfish, for a lot of things, great site fast and effecient. Still do in fact :z16
I also use Lakeland and Cookshill  (he is the best for feathers usually)
Its horses for courses and i agree you often need to spread across 2-3 sites to tick all the boxes.
but thats part of the fun.
If i'm really stuck i phone Gary at GAC and he can usually source anything, always pop in when i'm down too :z16
you never know what you will find.

Sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 10/11/2010 at 08:37 »
Fly makers is all mail order. So if you've bought it before and you know what it is then it's a safe bet. For fancier things I prefer to see before I buy!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 10/11/2010 at 10:27 »
Flytying boutique
Flytec
Cookshill
Lakeland
Sportfish
Niche

agree that you'll be dissapointed if you want a one stop shop AND items being out of stock is pretty much to be expected so phoning is better than mail order IMHO

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 10/11/2010 at 12:44 »
John,

I have most of what you are looking for in stock here, anything I haven't got can be ordered.  Only thing on your list I haven't got in stock is CDL but I cvan get it in a day or two.

Cheers

Ben

John Reid

« Reply #9 on: 10/11/2010 at 16:53 »
I will be out tomorrow Ben.

:z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 10/11/2010 at 21:27 »
Sorry Ben, I assumed we were talking mail order. :z7

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com