Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

MobhallKen

I'm Going to Glen Tanar
« on: 07/09/2011 at 06:49 »
Morning guys - not a regular poster here - but can anyone tell me anything about Glen Tanar re what its fishing like recently. Heading up north for a few days and have this as a potential on the agenda??

Jim Eddie

Re: I'm Going to Glen Tanar
« Reply #1 on: 07/09/2011 at 07:32 »
Not fished there for a while lovely setting though. I would see what conditions were like on the day , start off with a floater, try wets , snatchers if there is no surface activity.

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 07/09/2011 at 08:03 »
Haven't fished Glen Tanar for ....errr..... maybe three years.
Not that surprising as I moved away from Dee-side two years ago :wink
That said it was always fun to fish when the fish were up on the top but if they're not showing I (personally) wouldn't bother too much with the delicate stuff fished speculatively and would 'get down and dirty' with something like a damsel or IPN on a slow intermediate or fished off a floater with a long leader.

H :z3

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #3 on: 07/09/2011 at 10:23 »
I regularly fish Glen Tanar Loch but missed out on my last leave and so haven't been since June.  It was fishing very well in June with superb dry fly action (Olive emergers in particular).  I had three visits and averaged 12 fish per visit...by far my most successful days at Glen Tanar ever.

There are two tickets available; Day (09:00-17:00) and evening (17:00-dusk).  Day ticket is 20 quid.  Tickets are available by ringing the estate office between 09:00-17:00 on weekdays on 01339 886451.  You can take two fish on your ticket and then C & R.

Always fishes better obviously when they've recently re-stocked but they only do that a few times a year.  If it has been some time since the last re-stocking then the sport can be sparse...

I agree with Hamish that when they are not showing on the surface then it usually hard work and it's best to go big & ugly rather than try to be subtle.

In my experience it is best to check the weather forecast and pick a day that is forecast to have little or no wind.  If the forecast says anything over 10mph then don't bother!  The wind is always worse than the met office says as it whips down the valley and puts the fish down - and by that I mean puts them off altogether.  The boats are very light too (with usually only one piflous little anchor) which makes life extremely frustrating in anything but light airs.  Drifting isn't much of an option in the wind either as it will take 5 mins from one side of the loch to the other and soon becomes a pain...Don't under estimate the importance of the wind factor at Glen Tanar; it is amazing to see how quick the fish show themselves the instant the wind drops.

Hope this helps.

Ewan

MobhallKen

« Reply #4 on: 07/09/2011 at 12:41 »
Cheers Ewan/Guys

hoping for clam conditions then. All goes well you'll get a few piccies

:grin

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 07/09/2011 at 13:47 »
Pretty much what the other guys have said.
The boathouse end is a bit weedy but does have a lot of wee Browns knocking about.  :grin

The opposite end from the boathouse is a deep bay. Drop you flies in the shallows and pull them slowly back following the bottom as it drops away. The arm of the loch that meets the path on the way in can be productive, but don't fish it for too long as once you've covered it for ten to fifteen minutes that will be it done.

The water is very clear normally, so long leaders are a must and the bottom is weedy, but full of fly life. Damsel patterns are a must.  :z16

It's a really lovely place to fish if the weather is kind. I remember that the fish always play hard and when it's on, it really is ON :z4 :z4

Take a camera!

Good luck

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com