Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mark Dimeck

Re: Wading Sticks
« Reply #15 on: 04/02/2023 at 08:32 »
Bought one a couple of years ago after one too many trips over surprise boulders. Ended up with the rather expensive Patagonia collapsible model as I wanted something light and quickly packable and really pleased with it.
Since, I have spotted some very similar looking carbon hiking poles on ebay which I will try if the Patagonia ever breaks.
I’m right handed but keep it on my right side and hold rod in left hand or tuck it down my waders when moving.
Find the pole great when exploring new sections of river in coloured conditions.

Will Shaw

« Reply #16 on: 04/02/2023 at 14:08 »
I have the Sharpes one-piece which I use on big fast rivers.
I also have a light collapsable (Vision) one which I carry for smaller rivers if I don't think I'll be using it all day. It's very good, and I'll usually take it with me on occasions when the one-piece feels like a faff if I'm not using it all the time.

I try to always wear mine on the downstream side of me. So I switch it around if I change banks. This means when I let go of the stick it is always out of the way below me. I don't have the stick lying across my legs where I may trip over it, or where it will tangle the line. I have it on one of those hammerhead retractors which works well, and gives me enough leeway to switch hands if I need to (hardly ever).

I really like Hamish's point about not relying solely on the stick.  For me a stick is for stability when taking a step. If I need my hand on the stick while I'm casting, I've gone too far :-)
Similarly, I don't really want to have to put all my weight on the stick, for same reason I don't want to stand on one leg in the middle of the river.

As I get older, the stick seems more and more useful when I'm climbing out up high banks.

W.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 04/02/2023 at 14:31 »
Great stuff Will/Mark  :z16

I don't usually wade very deep at all, I'm just thinking the stick should help me out a bit when moving around on the slippery stones/rocks that we often come across on the Don.

Agreed Will, I'm mainly looking to improve stability.

Cheers
Mike

James Laraway

« Reply #18 on: 06/02/2023 at 14:03 »
Like Hamish I also have the Sharpes of Aberdeen one.
It's heavy yes but due to that its totally bombproof - and there is no change of it floating away....
I have it on a retractor so that it stays close to me, although a few people have pointed out to me that having a retractor with a steel cable may not be the best of idea should things go wrong.

I don't wade much and certainly not deeply but its good to have. 

I've only had a couple of scares when wading (without a stick) so consider myself lucky.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com