Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jay Scott

Possible site for a fishery?
« on: 21/01/2010 at 19:15 »

Saw this on the news earlier...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8470382.stm

What do you think? possible site for a fishery? definately be a Hi-Dline venue i would think  :z7

Jay

Bronzebommer

Re: Possible site for a fishery?
« Reply #1 on: 21/01/2010 at 19:17 »
I may buy it, and live on it in a house boat.  :z3

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 21/01/2010 at 19:36 »
It would have to be boat only Jay  :wink Unless they start making 400ft fly lines  :z4

Interesting to see if anyones buys it and does something with it. I walk round it every lunch time as our office is a stones throw away. They were looking to build a hotel on the edge of the quarry, they drilled test bores on the banks a year or two ago , but i don't think that came to anything.

:z18

Jim

Jay Scott

« Reply #3 on: 21/01/2010 at 19:53 »

Offers over £30,000   :wink

:z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 21/01/2010 at 20:05 »
I think we have enough puddles and people should try supporting there local larger waters so they dont get shut down  :z6

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 21/01/2010 at 21:01 »
I think we have enough puddles and people should try supporting there local larger waters so they dont get shut down  :z6

Puddle indeed Bazil !!! Rubislaw is the largest man made hole in Europe  :wink

Jim 

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 21/01/2010 at 21:03 »
Its i a deep puddle then James  :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 21/01/2010 at 21:09 »
Deep indeed Bazil at least 200ft and about 200ft from the bank to the water level. You would need to abseil to get down to the boats  :z4

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 21/01/2010 at 21:13 »
Hi guys :cool:

Hmmm, I don't know what species those kind of conditions would suit, I'm not sure brownies would like it ....... a coarse fishery maybe, one for Rob perhaps :wink

Mind you, at that depth, it could make ground baiting a tad tricky :roll

Best wishes
Mike

Jay Scott

« Reply #9 on: 21/01/2010 at 21:41 »

Might work with Arctic Charr?  :z8

Jay

Paul Rankine

« Reply #10 on: 22/01/2010 at 12:30 »
Hi ,
       Lots of very big eels in it apparently. Info from Police diving team who used it for training purposes.
Also still has most of the digging machinery left on the bottom , cheaper to leave it.

I,ve calculated that the quarry holds over 1 million cubic metres of water . I can't see anybody draining it but they might have to start soon as it has gradually filled up over the years and it's gonna overflow sometime in the not to distant future . Smart move selling it  :z4

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 22/01/2010 at 14:54 »
Puddle indeed Bazil !!! Rubislaw is the largest man made hole in Europe  :wink

Not strictly true..as Dundee holds that title ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 22/01/2010 at 14:56 »
Hmmm, I don't know what species those kind of conditions would suit, I'm not sure brownies would like it ....... a coarse fishery maybe, one for Rob perhaps :wink

About the only fish that would utilize the entire water column would be the Perch or maybe Zander..they like to skulk around in 100 foot+ reservoirs.

For me, I would add salt, then stock with Cod :) Its been talked about and costed before :)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 22/01/2010 at 14:58 »
I walk round it every lunch time as our office is a stones throw away.  

You have the answer!!! Every time you walk round, throw in a stone...in a few thousand years it will be shallow enough to turn into a fishery :)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 22/01/2010 at 15:03 »
And now on a serious note...

With a bit of work you could turn it into an excellent sports facility.

You could have rock climbing, diving (both scuba and high board) canoeing, abseiling, base jumping, bungee etc etc etc.

I actually think with a bit of thought it could be turned into a unique fishery, accessed by boat. Just because its 200 feet deep does not mean that the fish will be 200 feet down. I have fished plenty of deeper lochs that have had large shoals of Charr in the top 50 feet.

Imagine that, a Charr fishery within Aberdeen..how amazing would that be? There are other species that would do ok, like the Perch, but I was thinking more along the lines of rare fish that very few people have the chance of fishing for :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com