Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Warm clothes
« on: 19/10/2010 at 21:50 »
Hi folks :cool:

Well, temperatures are dropping and we've got some cold fishing ahead of us again :z6

What clothes have you found to be good kit in cold weather? :z3

I got some thick Orvis socks from Ben's shop in Banchory last year, can't remember what they were called but these have proved to be first class and probably the best I have ever had :wink I've also been wearing North Face fleeces, these are somewhat thinner than other brands I'm used to, but they have been warm, comfortable, hard wearing and they seem to dry quickly :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

Re: Warm clothes
« Reply #1 on: 19/10/2010 at 23:23 »
Hi Mike,

They are the heavyweight wading socks, I have them too.  They must be good, I sent a pair to Magnus, even he rates them.  Fleece trousers £4.99 from Lochinver hardwaer store before it went upmarket, best buy I've ever made.  Still wearing my black Orvis windproof fishing fleece, it won't wear out and is the most windproof warm fleece I've ever owned. 

Was out today, very cold indeed.

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 20/10/2010 at 07:51 »
I got a merino wool baselayer in my stocking last christmas. They're very smooth and not at all itchy, and for the environmentally conscious they don't stink after one wear so on back to back days fishing or on the hills then it's great.

Also a buff is a great thing, you can manipulate it to shut out any gaps around your collar to keep the wind out or the sun off!

Stuart Smith

« Reply #3 on: 20/10/2010 at 17:47 »
it has to be a neck warmer for me its great it cost about two quid but its great.cant rember where i got it but ive tryed a few kinds and they all work

stuart

John Reid

« Reply #4 on: 20/10/2010 at 17:52 »
Neck buff and windstopper fleece for me.

I fancy the battery operated heated socks Jim was talking about today mind!

John Reid

« Reply #6 on: 20/10/2010 at 20:09 »
Thanks Jim

Will give them a shot.
 :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 20/10/2010 at 20:10 »
I nearly always wear a Buff - great bit of kit.

I like my Guideline all in one fleece  - great for under the breathables on the river or in the tube.

I've heard good reports on the Orvis sox so will have to invest.

When extremely cold the roosky bunnet is unbeatable.

Never been able to get on with any type of gloves though.

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 20/10/2010 at 20:14 »
I nearly always wear a Buff - great bit of kit.

I like my Guideline all in one fleece  - great for under the breathables on the river or in the tube.

I've heard good reports on the Orvis sox so will have to invest.

When extremely cold the roosky bunnet is unbeatable.

Never been able to get on with any type of gloves though.

Iain

I have one of those all in one  fleece thingies, bought it tried it on did not like it so free to good home.

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 20/10/2010 at 20:23 »
If you still have the receipt I'm sure Ann Summers would give you a refund.
 :oops

Jim Eddie

« Reply #10 on: 20/10/2010 at 20:27 »
Naw Iain this is not the crotchless verion that you have  :z4 :z4 :z4

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #11 on: 20/10/2010 at 20:49 »
Jim I will try them, as anyone who has fished with me knows I'm always frozen :z8

Noel Kelly

« Reply #12 on: 20/10/2010 at 20:52 »
Just had a google of the above....man if my missus ever sees me in those I will never again get any action :z4

http://www.balloonsweb.co.uk/store/product.asp?spc=1357

Jim Eddie

« Reply #13 on: 20/10/2010 at 21:00 »
Jim I will try them, as anyone who has fished with me knows I'm always frozen :z8

Aye no bother Noel, I'll look them out and your welcome to them next time I see you.

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #14 on: 21/10/2010 at 08:01 »
Does anybody have a pair of gloves that they get on with whilst fishing?  I rarely wear gloves but the pair I have are shooting gloves they are very thin and wind proof so that if I get them wet they still keep my hands a little bit warm.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com