Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ali Mcewan

Loch Ness salmon
« on: 07/03/2019 at 13:23 »
We are up that area for a wee family holiday later this month, to top it off Iv been given a pass for a day away fishing.
Anyone got any recommendations, for salmon fishing, rivers-beats etc worth looking at?
that 25lber yesterday might even make me have a day on the loch 😂

Hamish Young

Re: Loch Ness salmon
« Reply #1 on: 07/03/2019 at 17:05 »
Ali - you have plenty of choice, comes down to what you want to spend  :wink
Unless you go out with a Guide, I'd avoid the Loch for a day trip - too much local knowledge needed to find fish.
River Ness:
The Inverness AC water is well worth a punt, especially if the water is low-ish.
Of the two Ness beats on FishPal I'd plump for Dochfour for a day. They had a belting season last year, in part thanks to low water conditions.
River Moriston
Availability can be the snag, but some belting water (as long as the Hydro are generating) and super well-known for the 'spring' run: https://www.glenmoriston.co.uk/fishing If it were me, with some spare cash then I would probably opt for this as my personal choice.
River Oich
Lots of local knowledge needed, try Ala MacGruer of the Oich Fishings on: 07763 108 125
Grahams, the tackle shop in Inverness, may have other details for the Oich - https://www.grahamsonline.co.uk/

That's a start for you  :z16

H

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #2 on: 07/03/2019 at 21:29 »
I was looking at the Morriston, but gather they don't generate that often these days, so thought it a bit risky.
The oich will get looked into tomorrow, cheers for the info, much appreciated

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 09/03/2019 at 19:49 »
Let us know how you get on Ali - and where you decide to go  :z16

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #4 on: 10/03/2019 at 10:23 »
Will do hamish  :z16
Which would you pick between aberchalder or glen doe water? Read the doe beat is more suited to spinning rather than the fly, would you agree?
I see I posibly know the head keeper on glen doe, so that may come in handy for access  :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 11/03/2019 at 07:39 »
For reasons outside of my control two trips that I should have had to the Oich last season were cancelled so, to be fair Ali, I've yet to fish the Oich at all :z10
The Aberchalder water looks good  and I'm told there's the bonus of some decent brownies there too :z16
H

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #6 on: 11/03/2019 at 08:00 »
Booked onto  jons bit at glendoe on fri 23rd, may have to leave home sharp on Friday & get a afternoon on aberchalder :X2
Give these Spey lines from mike another run out. So far very impressed  :z16

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #7 on: 23/03/2019 at 16:28 »
Fished the glen doe  beat of the oich yesterday in none stop rain, river was at a good level with plenty water.
Some great pools, two lads fishing devons had fish of 17 & 20, both sparkling fresh.  Today far better wether wise, but they must have shut water off as it dropped like a stone around noon, it was like a different river.
Highly recommend it for a day, some walking to do if you are new to the beat.  The rock pool & the two below were nice, likewise Canada & the pool above with the out flow from the Caledonian canal were a great swing for the flee

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 24/03/2019 at 08:13 »
Today far better wether wise, but they must have shut water off as it dropped like a stone around noon, it was like a different river.
Possibly that was the water on the Garry getting shut down, it does have a marked effect on the system and that would tally with the timing of water shut off I experienced a few weeks ago :z16 Pleased you enjoyed the water, I couldn't get on there on Saturday - I tried :X1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com