Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ivor Duffus

Freshwater pearl mussel.
« on: 24/10/2023 at 20:22 »
Pushed out of the South Esk during storm Babet. I found it in a puddle at the side of the river.

It’s now safely back in the river   :z18

Duncan McRae

Re: Freshwater pearl mussel.
« Reply #1 on: 26/10/2023 at 19:27 »
Well done Ivor.
There’s been a huge decline in their numbers so every one is important for their survival.

Apparently, they can live to around 130 years old!

Duncan

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: 01/11/2023 at 09:22 »
Used to have lots in the Earn at one time. Now it is only the shells you find some of them up to 8 inches long.
Bob.

Jeremy Bennett

« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2023 at 18:20 »
I remember many many years avo Trout fishing on the River Morriston and  people were wading/swimming in the river with homemade contraptions (e g buckets with bottom cut out and glass in the bottom) presumably looking for mature ones to harvest fresh water pearls. Please correct me if im wrong.

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #4 on: 07/11/2023 at 11:12 »
I remember many many years avo Trout fishing on the River Morriston and  people were wading/swimming in the river with homemade contraptions (e g buckets with bottom cut out and glass in the bottom) presumably looking for mature ones to harvest fresh water pearls. Please correct me if im wrong.

That certainly did go on years ago. I think it was early 80s they were given a protection order.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com