Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Bruce & Walker Fly Rods - Blanks Only
« on: 17/02/2023 at 10:03 »
I missed this news last month, it looks like Bruce and Walker are no longer making fly rods, but will continue to supply blanks.

Shared from the 'News' page on their website: http://www.bruceandwalker.co.uk/news/

( January 4th 2023 )

Blanks only for 2023

From January 2023, we will only be making blanks for our customers in the UK and around the world.  We will no longer be able to finish rods.  This is entirely due to an ageing workforce. After 15 years trying to future proof the finishing section with younger members, it appears there are very few who wish to work with their hands in such a skilled, niche market.  We always knew this day would come one day, as there is no natural fourth generation to the family.  But it was always in the future.  Funny how the future catches you up, when you are busy enjoying yourself in the present.  Added to which, we would like to enjoy something of a semi-retirement, as we passed that milestone some years ago.  More time fishing, and less time making fishing rods!   So for now, we are happy to continue making blanks for all our existing customers and anyone new to us.  But I'm afraid we won't be able to finish into rods.

Hamish Young

Re: Bruce & Walker Fly Rods - Blanks Only
« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2023 at 16:33 »
It is strange that, over the past four decades that I have been aware of them, B&W have gone from being a powerhouse and innovator of the sport, to a lesser known maker with a cult following, to more of a 'boutique' rod crafter and it seems that shortly it will be a blank only business.

It's the way of things, I guess.
On the banks of rivers, canals and stillwaters across the UK, brands of the past have very largely been usurped by newer/younger brands and by imports from all over the world. As a 'punter' there has never been such a selection of tackle, at every price point, for every aspect of the sport - and even some aspects that you'd never have thought of. I'm not sad for that, but it is a shame that tackle brands with such history that I grew up with seem to be condemned to fizzle out as they are rapidly disappearing to articles on websites, to dusty corners of fishing cupboards, bargain bins or just binned.

Still not entirely sure I ever can forgive B&W for some of the Hexagraph salmon rods though  *smiley-wink*

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 17/02/2023 at 19:56 »
H,

Had a conversation on a riverbank yesterday about when we loved the 15 foot Norway, however all of us were laughing about how bad the hexagonal rods were and agreed that they were only useful as stakes for growing rasps *smiley-grin*

Duncan McRae

« Reply #3 on: 18/02/2023 at 12:33 »
All my regular rods are old school B&W.i really can't fault any of them.
I woud have liked to try a Hexagraph back in the day but i couldn't afford one.I think they were around double the price of  rods in the Expert range.

The Hexagraph range was very well endorsed!

Duncan

Hamish Young

Re: Bruce & Walker Fly Rods - Blanks Only New
« Reply #4 on: 18/02/2023 at 16:34 »
The Hexagraphs, in single handed and light Salmon weights, were actually really quite nice to use - it was the big rods that were, well, just brutes and best left to seal clubbing.
In contrast, the single handers were nice. I recall a super day afloat on Loch Eilt with a chap (from B&W who was visiting the Rod & Gun shop in Fort William) who had brought along a range of the rods and I fished with the 'Hugh Falkus' Sea Trout special - 10'6" IIRC. It was nice a rod, heavy compared the Shakespeare radial carbon I usually fished with,  but a nice thing. I'd try one again as modern lines might do some of those rods a favour.

Reminds me, I once tied a dozen boxed sets of dapping flies. The wood boxes were made by a master craftsman who used to make jewelry boxes. Each box had a dozen flies, some amadou, some mucilin fly dressing. They were high end stuff, back in the day, and all sold without ever being advertised - those were the days :! Three of those dapping fly sets went to B&W customers via the Rod & Gun shop in Fort William to match a dapping rod that B&W had produced. This thread has reminded me to look that rod up, I've never seen one.
I wonder if any of those boxed fly sets are still in circulation :? I don't even have a photo of one, rather wish I had kept one for myself now :!

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 18/02/2023 at 16:42 »
H,

Had a conversation on a riverbank yesterday about when we loved the 15 foot Norway, however all of us were laughing about how bad the hexagonal rods were and agreed that they were only useful as stakes for growing rasps *smiley-grin*
Exactly the best use for them :! Brute of a rod the bigger Hexgraphs :!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com