Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Super Puppan and CDC Elk Variants
« on: 16/02/2012 at 14:29 »
Watched a vid with Johann Klingberg and he was talking about this fly, the Super Pupa (or Puppan). Very rated in Sweden for Grayling and Trout as a caddis pupa/emerger :

The hackle is clipped above and below in a "v" so it rides in or just under surface film:

Photos from web, not mine !

Anyone tried these for trout on Don or North Scotland ? I have tied a few on the yellow (and light gree) and black hackle ones - reckon they might be good when Grannom pupa are emerging. The hackle gives the abdominal striped look of the actual pupa. I reckon a DHE, Klink or CDC and Elk with one of these just under the surface might be good duo tactic on a summer evening ? The Swedes also weight them sometimes so they can fish deeper.

For those mad on CDC and Elk's I came across this nice article on all the variants http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/cdcelk/

It's funny I had already tied some with the yellow balloon ala balloon caddis - I really like the way this gives the wing a flatter profile, more like a sedge, and also some on varivas 2200 BL's with a dropped bum emerger style.

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

Re: Super Puppan and CDC Elk Variants
« Reply #1 on: 16/02/2012 at 21:16 »
Nice links Lindsay.

Mule Deer, fine tipped Deer hair? Etc. Etc.
What type do you guys use?

I have a patch of 20 year old deer hair, the exact beast or strain or cut I don't know but the hair is a relatively large diameter or quite hollow whichever makes more sense and about 1 1/2" long.
Trouble is that it's almost done & although I've heaps of hair there is nothing that lies and floats anywhere as good as this stuff.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 16/02/2012 at 21:24 »
Have a look next time you're in the shop Iain, got coastal, std deer hair, deer belly, Roe, Chinese Water Deer, Comparadun hair, Elk & Yearling Elk.

I usually use "normal" or belly for spinning, comparadun for fine stuff, coastal for smallish stuff, Roe for sedge hogs.  All very different stuff, like hackles for salmon flies, you really need it all in all colours, just ask Kev.

Cheers

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 16/02/2012 at 22:03 »
you really need it all in all colours, just ask Kev.

Now now thats taking things tooooooo far  :z4 :z4 :z4 :X2

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 16/02/2012 at 23:27 »
Now now thats taking things tooooooo far  :z4 :z4 :z4 :X2

Smirk  :z7 :z4

H :z3

Loxiafan

« Reply #5 on: 16/02/2012 at 23:31 »

What type do you guys use?

Any ideas or recommendations?

I actually quite like good ole Veniards Coastal Deer Hair, cheap and readily available, but have used Elk as well (although HW uses Mule Deer). Last batch of Balloon Caddis I used some Whitetail Deer which is also very good and nice and light in colour which aids sighting.

I like the South African reverse CDC and Elk, basically a DHE with CDC body ! Funny how they are all really just the same fly.

Lindsay

paavo

« Reply #6 on: 17/02/2012 at 11:41 »
Hi Lindsay
The author of Superpuppan is the Swedish fly tier Lennart Bergqvist. He made this fly in begging of -80: s. The pupa swims up from bottom to surface, and then it crawls to a stone or grass-blades where it becomes an adult.
I use two different patterns. The pupa with yellow back and black front with a black hackle, size 12, 14.
And the second one, olive back and brown front with brown hackle, same sizes.
The rivers witch I fishes here in Sweden the pupa starts hatch late evening/night, round 22.00- 01.30, from mid July to end of September.
The pupa is very simple to tie. Here is a Video.

I´m sure the Supersuppan will work on The Don if you have the caddis on the river.

//Harri

Loxiafan

« Reply #7 on: 17/02/2012 at 14:29 »
Hi Harri,

Thanks for putting up the video - I had seen that one myself but others will be interested.

A good one here with Davie McPhail. He uses a CDC plume but says this can be omitted:

(sorry it won't embed on to post ?)

When using Elk Hair on a CDC and Elk I put it on over a thin under wing of orange polypropelene ( ala John Tyzack's Balloon Caddis variant). It gives a nice profile and adds floatability.

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #8 on: 17/02/2012 at 14:44 »
Have a look next time you're in the shop Iain.....Elk & Yearling Elk.
Ben

Orvis Elk Hair is most good !  :z16

Lindsay

paavo

« Reply #9 on: 17/02/2012 at 15:43 »
Thanks Lindsay for the Superpuppan variant.

:z18
 Harri

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com