Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #325 on: 04/05/2012 at 15:45 »
I am off to do MY thing..lol. I expect to see shopping trollies and traffic cones...does that give you a clue where I am off to?..lol

Andy Finlay

« Reply #326 on: 04/05/2012 at 16:18 »
Just back after a couple of hours, wind was making it a bit tricky, did have 1 small brownie so not a total waste. Also did my bit and netted a nice fresh salmon for someone :z4. Might have a go with the salmon rod tonight if I can get the kids off to bed early.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #327 on: 04/05/2012 at 16:27 »
The dangers of the Internet! Bet ye don't know where he saw the big trout feeding the other day though? I do and this is Adaa water :z4
Don't worry Liam your secret is safe with me....the trout may be getting a visit though :z4

Trig you best be keeping away from MY fish  :wink

I've never seen it there before, so you might wanna get down before the water drops too much and it buggers off  :z7

Is anyone planning on heading out tonight?

Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #328 on: 04/05/2012 at 16:35 »
Trig you best be keeping away from MY fish  :wink

I've never seen it there before, so you might wanna get down before the water drops too much and it buggers off  :z7

Is any planning on heading out tonight?

Liam

Won't be out much this w end. Stoopid work messing up my fishing life again :z6

Peter McCallum

« Reply #329 on: 04/05/2012 at 17:28 »
Ah yes work is the curse of the fishing classes :X2

Loxiafan

« Reply #330 on: 04/05/2012 at 17:48 »
The dangers of the Internet! Bet ye don't know where he saw the big trout feeding the other day though? I do and this is Adaa water :z4

No, but if it is the same town he goes to school in I can hazard a guess as to the beat from the ADAA clue !  :wink It's is a curse being this 'observant'............

Got my own big T to get. Couldn't get him last year due to high water and the season timing out. If he doesn't come back to this feeding lie I can bet another big boy will !

L

Jazzaman1234

« Reply #331 on: 04/05/2012 at 18:40 »
Hi

What likes the Inverurie water like?Any good spots?

jazza

Noel Kelly

« Reply #332 on: 04/05/2012 at 19:25 »
No, but if it is the same town he goes to school in I can hazard a guess as to the beat from the ADAA clue !  :wink It's is a curse being this 'observant'............

Got my own big T to get. Couldn't get him last year due to high water and the season timing out. If he doesn't come back to this feeding lie I can bet another big boy will !

L

Lol Lindsay I'm sure you are very observant and a budding detective but on this occasion you may be a bit out. A few miles even.... :z4
As for that big boy, got get em :z16
Wish we were out on the river rather than talking about it!
Ah well nice bottle of red and the BBQ blazing away nicely isn't a bad substitute this evening I guess. It's Baltic outside.  :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #333 on: 05/05/2012 at 23:27 »
I ended up spending a few with the switch rod. hours down at Grandholme with the switch rod. The rod makes fishing some of the more wooded/high banks so much easier and i managed to get a few casts in spots that are normally only fished with a spinner.

And I caught nothing! I saw nothing. I heard nothing. There was a very cold northerly wind and the river was still running high.

Was nice to be out though and the casting was just "working" for a change and I managed a few nice underhand casts.

Loxiafan

« Reply #334 on: 06/05/2012 at 00:03 »
I checked Parkhill after I finished work, arriving the back of two. Possibly too late - lots of crippled LDO's and a few Olive Uprights in the back eddies. Never saw a rise and didn't make a cast even though there were trickles of Olives and a few sporadic MB's (or LBD's). Hail shower while I was there and a strong NW downstream wind which would have made casting a nightmare anyway. The weather conditions today would have made for a poor day in March never mind May !

Water about 20cm above Summer Low but running Gin clear where I was, in fact possibly too clear - we're never happy are we  :z4

Lindsay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #335 on: 06/05/2012 at 18:06 »
Upper parkhill today from about 2. Parked at the bridge and headed upriver. Met Goolager who had been out a few hrs and was just about to give up not having seen much. Least I knew I hadn't missed much action!
I walked to the top of the beat, didn't see a rise despite a trickle of olives evident in most places. Spoke to a guy who was nymphing the fast riffles, he had just returned one trout of 1lb.
At the top I stuck on a wooly bugger and fished it back down. One chase from a half lbr and that was it. Another week gone  :z6

ugie fisher

« Reply #336 on: 06/05/2012 at 18:32 »
Has anyone heard of any salmon being caught recently because this don report seem to be mainly based on brown trout.

Loxiafan

« Reply #337 on: 06/05/2012 at 19:37 »
I was "upstream"  :wink of you guys Noel from about 12 ish till about 3.30pm. Very sporadic hatch at 12.30 but literally only a couple of small fish where I was - the strong down stream wind made decent turnover of a dry fly almost impossible; a recurring theme at the moment it seems.

Sat and waited for ages for flies/fish to move.....nothing. Wind picked up more. Was heading back to the car when the wind literally stopped completely (at 2.50pm) and a small but welcome hatch of LDO's came on. I "followed" a decent fish from it's resting lie to the head of a stream/crease where it was picking off flies streaming down. I covered it consistently and it consistently took the "real" fly inches away from my artificial - it would have been laughable if I wasn't desperate to save another blank ! At least I didn't spook it which is something I suppose. Then the wind started again, this time from WSW and that was it, the big boy moved back to his beid and so did I.

I have read certain fishing reports stating that the Don trout season has got of to a flier. Really ? I don't want to jump the gun but I am not seeing much fish when I am out and about, and I am out and about quite a bit......

Never mind, I 'll give Liam's pool a thrash tomorrow  :z7

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #338 on: 06/05/2012 at 19:42 »
Lindsay,

You sure you know where 'My pool' is?  :z7

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #339 on: 06/05/2012 at 19:50 »
Has anyone heard of any salmon being caught recently because this don report seem to be mainly based on brown trout.

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/thread43184.html

Apparently a poor day at U.Parkhill yesterday according to the Salmon guy I spoke to, no-one catching.

According to this months T&S good numbers of Salmon were taken on lower beats. Dinnae know as I don't fish for them.

Martin Webster also writes that fresh early Sea Trout  have been landed  :wink

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #340 on: 06/05/2012 at 19:52 »
You sure you know where 'My pool' is?  :z7
Liam

Oh yes ! Google Earth is fantastic, amazing detail, like even wooden bridges show up clearly !  :wink

Pullin' yer leg dude, will be heading elsewhere. Don't fancy another day punching a 4 weight into a force 6 !

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #341 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:04 »
Ah well there ain't many wooden bridges on my homestretch  :X2

Good luck on your voyage  :z16

Liam

danbruce

« Reply #342 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:21 »
Had a couple of hours free today so had a cast at upper fintray, nice bit of water. Had one wee broon troot on a waterhen bloa, was fun on a 3wt. Also missed what felt like a decent sized pull before that. Did see a few fish rising but they were on the opposite bank and with the wind i was never reaching them.

Looks like i should get out again tomorrow for a bit hope the wind dies down. Any suggestions of a more sheltered beat on the Don would be more than welcome?

Cheers,

Dan

Liam Stephen

« Reply #343 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:25 »
Balbithan, top end of the beat is tree lined and is normally not to bad depending on wind direction  :z16

Liam

danbruce

« Reply #344 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:30 »
Cheers Liam,

How is the parking up at the top end of the beat, heard a few guys complaining about access to the water. I dont mind a long walk as long as i can dump the car some where.

Dan

Loxiafan

« Reply #345 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:38 »
Had a couple of hours free today so had a cast at upper fintray, nice bit of water.

Was yours the black car Dan ? Did I speak to you at the car park ?

Lindsay

danbruce

« Reply #346 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:45 »
Yes my car was the black one but when i parked up there was nobody there. Did have a short chat to a guy heading up river later that after noon (just round the bend from the bridge) not sure if it was you though?

Where you heading out to tomorrow?

Dan

Loxiafan

« Reply #347 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:50 »
How is the parking up at the top end of the beat, heard a few guys complaining about access to the water. I dont mind a long walk as long as i can dump the car some where.

When I used to fish Kintore Council Waters I used to just park after the bridge on the verge. I don't know if you can still do that. I think the Golf Club are ok with anglers parking but not on busy days - tomorrow might be a busy day due to the holiday ? ADAA only have a short stretch on the left bank only upstream of the bridge remember so not the area marked as Balbithan on the map - that is up by and past the Golf Course as I recall ?

Still not sure what I am doing yet, might see you there Dan but if its blawing hard again I don't think I can take it - I was talking myself in to how I "needed" a 3 wt Rod last night and after today am thinking of getting a 6 wt !! You did well with a #3 today if you were going upstream !

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #348 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:55 »
Park just over the metal bridge in Kintore and walk down? It's not very far at all  :z16

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #349 on: 06/05/2012 at 20:56 »
Yes my car was the black one but when i parked up there was nobody there. Did have a short chat to a guy heading up river later that after noon (just round the bend from the bridge) not sure if it was you though?

Where you heading out to tomorrow?

Hi Dan, no wasn't me but I spoke to him too, a very nice chap, hope he did better than me.

I was originally thinking of Kintore eg. Liam's Pool vicinity. Actually, I was hoping to bump in to Liam and get a few tips on this Klinky and Dinky mullarkey as he seems to be the only B***er actually connecting with fish just now it seems  :wink It's either that or Kemnay as I can't face another blank/screaming wind at Parkhill and at least the scenery will be different !

Cheers,

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com