Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

monsterfish

TV programmes
« on: 29/12/2007 at 21:13 »
What would you say is your best/worst fishing programme?

I think any of Paul Young's are pretty good.

Trout n About was pretty dire and I hate John Wilson's laugh.  :z6

Colin

Jim Eddie

Re: TV programmes
« Reply #1 on: 29/12/2007 at 22:20 »
Paul Young is probably my favourite he comes across an an average angler enjoying what he is doing.

A Passion for angling is a cracking series, mostly coarse fishing but tremenosly atmospheric all the same , very Mr Crabtree  :cool:

A River Somewhere is also a first class series. A couple of Aussie's fishing on various river around the world.

The Compleat Angler with Geoffry Palmer was not a bad show.

The Fishing Adventurer with some French Canadian guy fishing from Morroco to New York is another good one.

The Take , shown onSky sports a couple of years ago is an excellent fly fishing programme covering Salmonf fishing in Iceland to Bone fishing is one of my favouites.

I also enjoyed The Accidental Angler.

:z18

Jim 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 30/12/2007 at 11:32 »
I used to enjoy 'Out of Town' with Jack Hargreaves?  Most of the time he had a small fishing spot & I'd sit amazed as he'd demonstrate some form of fishing magic.
One that sticks in my mind is when he went for a wander with a few hooks, a roll of tape, paper clips and a spool of line. He dug up some docking grubs then fashioned a rod from a willow branch and a float from some form or reed or other and proceeded to catch lots of Perch.

truly amazing for a wee lad.

I vaguely remember 'The Golden Maggot'  which had teams scouring the country for as many species as possible in a given time.

John Wilson (smug git) sorry if he is a nice person in reality but I couldn't stand him - I remember him landing a large Pike while fishing from a small boat on Loch Lomond, he had spent what seemed like an age describing how he was going to end, Blah Blah, world hunger, Blah Blah, due to his fishing prowess, etc, etc. Blah Blah, well the upshot of it was that he was standing holding this Pike as the Film Crew (obviously in an adjacent boat) took the footage.
Mr Pike took offence to being a notch on Mr Wilsons Ugly Stik and decided to somersault himself out of Johns' arms and back into the Loch - this he did but not before shearing the nice Mr Wilsons rod which lay draped carelessly over the gunwhale.
My mum sent me to bed early that night as I piddled myself three or four times during the course of that evening (I'd taped the episode and couldn't resist watching it over and over again) sorry John!

Jay Scott

« Reply #3 on: 30/12/2007 at 17:18 »

All of Paul Youngs programmes are top class!

Cast out was another "quite" good one mainly due to the fact it was usually trout and salmon he was after!

Matt Hayes, accidental angler, passion for angling and on the fly with John Bailey are all about average for me i'm affraid.

However the series Hywel Morgans fishing masterclass has to get one of my favourites!

Jay

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 31/12/2007 at 21:35 »
Being a little on the mature side I fondly remember Terry Thomas's series 'Angling Today'(I think).
Best bit was him stalking chub along a high steep bank saying they were very shy fish and needed a careful approach when he slipped and went arse over tit down the bank & into the water.

Passion for angling, accidental angler & a River Somewhere are excellent

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 31/12/2007 at 23:34 »
Screaming Reels  - used to be on Channel 4

Dave Mundie

« Reply #6 on: 07/01/2008 at 17:38 »
Are there any on telly at all these days?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 07/01/2008 at 17:45 »
Dave

None unless you have SKY

Cheers

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #8 on: 07/01/2008 at 17:47 »
No only got freeview (go on say it tight git).
Father inlaw has sky though.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com