Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Rivers & Lochs / Re: River Don 2024
« Last post by Nick Thom on Today at 11:15 »
Thanks Sandy - we thought you might know!
« Last post by Sandy Nelson on Today at 09:59 »
Great stuff Nick

Good fun playing with bugs and yes they are Ephemera Danica  the “green drake”
The nymphs like a silty bottom. There’s a couple of  areas around inverurie where they are established
« Last post by Mike Barrio on Today at 09:54 »
Nice one Nick, always interesting stuff  >)
« Last post by Nick Thom on Today at 08:43 »
While fishing the rising river yesterday at Keithall, I noticed a small localised hatch of Mayflies, maybe 20-30 in total within a few minutes. I think they’re Green Drakes but you maybe able to clarify. The trout didn’t seem that interested.

In this theme, Several volunteers, including Fred Hay and myself have been trained by the Riverfly Partnership and we monitor the health of the River Don fly life population at 2 sites around Inverurie. This is done on a monthly basis to establish water quality and any dip in a particular invertebrate species may indicate an issue.   We are finding an abundance of Shrimp, cased and caseless Caddis, flat bodied stoneclingers, olives and blue winged olives. We have had some massive Stonefly nymphs too but we haven’t found any Mayfly nymphs suggesting that they like particular substrate.

Anyway, I’m fast becoming an insect anorak and if you would like to be involved in this monthly exercise, don’t hesitate to contact me and I will put you in touch with the coordinator for this area.   

Social Corner / Re: Spot the fish
« Last post by Sandy Nelson on Today at 08:08 »
Haha  *smiley-lol* granted they are easier to see in my originals.
I could have done a Spot the Adipose competition along the same lines as the Spot the ball  *smiley-tongue-out* but the thought the fish was fairer.

They are here

Maybe I should have used this one, but I thought the bubbles got in the way  *smiley-grin*

« Last post by Fred Hay on Today at 05:59 »
Crickey ! This is harder than 'Spot the Ball' in the Green Final ...............
Tackle Talk / Re: Reel Full Circle
« Last post by Mike Barrio on Yesterday at 21:11 »
Nice one Kevin, I do like a classic reel if they are not too heavy.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Rimfly and Dragonfly reels  :)
« Last post by Mike Barrio on Yesterday at 08:55 »
A link to the second full size image: https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/spot-the-fish-2.jpg

I think I know where the second one is, but I can't see the fish or the tail.
Social Corner / Re: Barrio Midge Tip Fly Line
« Last post by Mike Barrio on Yesterday at 08:47 »
Thanks Duncan, I'm really pleased that you like your line  :)
« Last post by Sandy Nelson on Yesterday at 08:45 »
What about this one then? Same idea the fish is swimming away after release. This time the tail is out of the water .

Round 2.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com