Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

What are you reading at the moment?
« on: 18/04/2023 at 12:34 »
What are you reading at the moment?

I'm about to start Sandison's Scotland, surprised that I've not read this one before.

Michael Kearney

Re: What are you reading at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: 19/04/2023 at 13:32 »

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 29/04/2023 at 12:01 »
( This is a back up post - originally posted by Iain Cameron )

I’m re reading (and watching) a kindle only book,
Trout and Flies - Getting Closer.
by Peter Hayes (Author), Don Stazicker (Author)

From analysing underwater footage, the authors are showing trout, insects, flies and how they behave and interact. As an ebook, there are links to  vids showing, eg, a trout taking nymphs underwater.

There are loads of nuggets of info in the book, and of course watching insects and fishes in HD and slo mo will always captivate me.

But it somehow bugs (!) me also so I’m not in love with the book. perhaps it’s the clunkiness of having to break of from reading to watch the video; sometimes the wording is unclear or hard to follow;  sometimes feels inconsistent or contradictory; noted a couple of conclusions that maybe don’t match the evidence; sometimes the pacing and flow is off, and chapters or chunks seems to end or start abruptly. dunno,  it just has something not quite right about its presentation, to use an apt word,  and some better editing would help. I think both times I’ve read it, it feels like a draft version, with lots of great content and ideas for sure, but in need of finesse and polish. Or I’m just fussy, and perhaps that unfinished finish is fine.

On the whole though, loads to keep your interest. The stuff on trout vision and colours and “footprints” was interesting; a takeaway there was along lines of that the trout can see your flies body when in/under the surface film, and can see the wings, but the detail around thorax was less vital, so a simple fly with body and wing is sufficient (which I of course agree with 100% as an efficient - or just plain lazy - fly tier).

It’s worth a read for sure, and I think was about 10£ or so.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 29/04/2023 at 12:04 »
Nice one Iain, interesting stuff about the thorax, seems to work well enough with spiders.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 29/04/2023 at 12:06 »

Hi Mike,

Apologies. Ironically, after saying that the book needed editing, I posted here without proof reading my own scribbling!
Also, being a lazy sod, I was recalling from memory rather than referring to the book. My poor excuse is that I’d finished my coffee, and had to go… you know.

I misrepresented the authors. My bad.

I’d said,  “  … trout can see your flies body when in/under the surface film, and can see the wings, but the detail around thorax was less vital…”
I was mixing up a few bits of the book, so only fair to try to fix that

Re reading it slightly more carefully, I understood-

Things in  a trout’s window (plain sight zone in this book) are visible, including colours & thoraces.
The footprint of flees  drifting downstream won’t be sufficiently recognisable by the indentations on the meniscus, until the fly is within the window.
When a fly is outside the window, the thorax and footprint don’t seem to come into play; rather it’s the bits sticking below the surface, like the hook/body, or bits above the surface like a wing, that are visible.
Anything subsurface is relatively visible, depending on water clarity, from a longer distance, and that’s where the colours come in.

From p102:
Marinaro did not think that the body of the dun is ever visible to the trout, Goddard and Clarke say it is a  dark silhouette, and we disagree completely, as did Datus Proper, with both: in the window the trout can see  it, well lit, and inspect it. The body colour of natural duns when held above the surface, can be seen directly  through the window and the air, and when resting on the surface, directly through the water…

I probably again jumbled up things; worth picking up the book and having a read, there are lots of good things there,

Cheers, iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 29/04/2023 at 12:12 »
No worries, thanks for that, you'd make a great book salesman Iain 😂

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 29/04/2023 at 12:27 »

That's very kind, but I think I'd make a terrible sales person - I would point out the flaws first.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 29/04/2023 at 19:26 »
My newest literature purchases arrived today, can’t wait to get stuck in

Kav Ring

« Reply #8 on: 01/05/2023 at 07:50 »
I want to read some more Gierach.
Currently half way through John Muir- My first summer in the Sierra.
I know its a 'classic' and I'm really interested in the area but struggling a bit with it!
I'm sat looking at a hefty copy go The Worst Journey in the World! I've read it before but definitely want to re read. Nothing like a polar sufferfest to put things in perspective ;)

Nick Thom

« Reply #9 on: 16/05/2023 at 19:24 »

This is a great read. Comprehensive and some good detailed info written by a boffin! 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com