Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

I caught a Trout
« on: 19/11/2012 at 08:16 »
Yes, you read right, I actually caught a trout.

:z14

Mike Barrio

Re: I caught a Trout
« Reply #1 on: 19/11/2012 at 10:10 »
Well done Rob  :X4

Iain Cameron

« Reply #2 on: 19/11/2012 at 11:50 »
Yes, you read right, I actually caught a trout.

were you fishing for pike or carp at the time when this accidental trout bumbled along... :-)

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 19/11/2012 at 11:54 »
Did it taste nice?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 19/11/2012 at 12:07 »
Lol..I was actually trout fishing!!!

I went out for Pike originally, but the wind was bad sooooo...

.... I nipped along to Parkhill to practice casting as I knew it would be sheltered.  I was using a new shooting head set up on my Access 7 weight, and a Bow of about 3lb hung itself on a size 14 barbless mini Cats Whisker thing that I tied up for a laugh.... Daft thing!! I had a "pike" leader on (without the wire trace), tapered down to 15lb and struggled to get the line through the eye of the hook...shows that when trout are wanting a fly, they really do not care about the line!

That was first cast!..lol.

I then spent a couple of hours thrashing the water with my #5 SLX trying to get nice single and roll speys...which sort of happened.

Then off to Skene for the Pike, but the wind was howelling into the bay, so after 30 minutes I gave in with the 9 weight and dug out my 12' 6" Spey rod for some practice. I need LOTS!

I was nice to be out, but Parkhill was soooooo cold and half frozen when I got there at 11.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com