Re: Tenkara fishing
« Reply #1 on: 06/11/2011 at 19:15 »
Only in Japan  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4
That must be some serious grand max they have on as fluro  :z4
Not quite fishing tho  :z6

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 06/11/2011 at 19:50 »
Not quite fishing? The most ancient style of fly fishing known to man...practiced for at least a thousand years, the father of fly fishing and the mother of pole fishing.

Its an extremely skillful style of fly fishing, demanding a huge amount of stealth and cunning as you need to be able to read the pool and present the flies to the fish on a slack drift, at the right drift. Think delicate czech or french nymphing without a reel or rings.

Have to say I have never seen this style used for salmon though...mental.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2011 at 21:03 »
That's pretty cool. The are fishing a fixed length of line I take it? So just hook up then hang on :z4 Mental :z16

tenkara.cz

Re: Tenkara fishing New
« Reply #4 on: 08/07/2012 at 12:37 »
It is not tenkara fishing video.  Japanese provides many national fishing styles with canes.
For example see “hera” – Japanese kind of carp fishing.

Look at www.tenkaratimes.com for tenkara info.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 09/07/2012 at 08:24 »
Ahhhh....proper fishing :)

Magnus Angus

« Reply #6 on: 09/07/2012 at 16:31 »
Saw a guy doing that in Canada. Link man in wetsuit to King Salmon by long rod and fixed line - stand well back! Mental is the only word for it! Looked fantastic!

In Canada the Japanese angler soon had a local angler ranting at him from the bank, some very confused ethics flying about. For locals those fish are a meat crop, they fish for the freezer, all that local angler could see was a man damaging a fish.

http://archive.org/details/anglerloop-rod00websrich
The Loop Rod was standard tackle back when Webster and W.C Stewart were writing (Webster is sort of replying to Stewart in The Angler and the Loop Rod.) What he used was pretty much exactly a Tenkara set-up of that time.

(I have some Tenkara gear on test btw.)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 09/07/2012 at 16:46 »
For locals those fish are a meat crop, they fish for the freezer, all that local angler could see was a man damaging a fish.

How is the fish being damaged?

Magnus Angus

« Reply #8 on: 09/07/2012 at 17:32 »
Hi Rob

The fish has a man in a wet-suit attached to its face by a hook. The man in the wet-suit is whooping and laughing, being dragged around the river with little or no chance of landing the fish (and it seemed like he had no intention of landing fish.) That seemed to wind the Canadian up.

I saw the tenkara fisher (I seem to recall there's another name for this form of extreme fishing btw) dragged downstream through two pools before losing the salmon. Actually I saw him do that several times while his fishing partner filmed the action from the bank, catching the episode on tape seemed to be the point. It struck me I was watching something that could appear on Jackass.

(Incidentally, Webster includes Salmon fishing in The Angler and the Loop Rod, but the tackle for salmon is not a Loop Rod - he suggests a reel with 60 to 100 yards of line.)  

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 09/07/2012 at 21:38 »
I seem to recall there's another name for this form of extreme fishing

Tom-ozuri or something like it, I think the rods are the same or very similar to those used for Tenkara.

If you're thinking of the 'extreme' get up when Kevin Muir Robson Green was all clad in a dry suit and fishing small Ayu intended to provoke other Ayu into a territory scrap (and get hooked on what was essentially a 'flying' hook) somewhere in darkest Japan then that's the one I'm thinking of.
If not... ah well.

Daft get up, interesting technique.

H :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 09/07/2012 at 22:47 »
Ahhhh..i see what you mean then Magnus.

They are fishing for 20 and 30lb carp on the pole down south, but landing them pretty quickly by using powerful elastic through the top 3 sections of the pole...so basically tenkara with a shock absorber.

tenkara.cz

Re: Tenkara fishing New
« Reply #11 on: 11/07/2012 at 10:47 »
I think the rods are the same or very similar to those used for Tenkara.

Tenkara rods differs this rod http://www.tenkaratimes.com/tenkara-gear-storefront. They normally have 3-4.5 m length and 50-130 grams weight, not more. Nevertheless, they have enough backbone to land big fish - look at this
http://vimeo.com/42530374#

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 11/07/2012 at 11:09 »
Nice video, thanks for posting :z16 ...... I don't fancy your chances of catching a second trout from that pool :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 11/07/2012 at 12:35 »
Nice video, thanks for posting :z16 ...... I don't fancy your chances of catching a second trout from that pool :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Only two and a half minutes to get it in (unless they edited the vid) which is probably quicker than many on rod an line take to get a 2 pound fish in.

Also Mike, could you please translate what the New Zaeland chap was saying at the beginning, I did not understand ;)

Irvine Ross

« Reply #14 on: 11/07/2012 at 14:05 »
Only two and a half minutes to get it in (unless they edited the vid) which is probably quicker than many on rod an line take to get a 2 pound fish in.

If you tried that technique in the sort of places I often fish, you would have a broken ankle long before the two and a half minutes were up. :z6

Irvine

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com