Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: Which Pearsall's 6A ?
« Reply #45 on: 03/11/2011 at 22:41 »
... There very little difference between the 6 a ant. and 19 Hot Orange...

I had another look at the first pic from Lindsay and I think the colors don't match the real colors on the bobbin... the 6a Gold is far too yellow in the pic..
... Think the antique could be the real thing....

Just a stupid question... Are there different manufacturers of the PS-silk??? Can't imagine one producing two shades with 1 name ...

Hi Sieger,

My image was adjusted for white balance so the colurs pretty much match the real thing. Yes 6A matches E and Lee. Langley, who produce all these new "authentic" shades were dyers for pearsalls so it is "in house" so to speak.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Sieger Devries

« Reply #46 on: 03/11/2011 at 23:00 »
Hi Sieger,

My image was adjusted for white balance so the colurs pretty much match the real thing. Yes 6A matches E and Lee. Langley, who produce all these new "authentic" shades were dyers for pearsalls so it is "in house" so to speak.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Thanks Lindsay... I'll stop nagging now...  :oops I can get carried away when it comes to colors, screens and calibration of them..  :z6...

Loxiafan

« Reply #47 on: 03/11/2011 at 23:03 »
Oliver used/uses Pearsalls more towards the 19 shade. He has always used this and likes the chestnutty colour it...
A guy I know went so far as to visit the Pearsalls factory and speak to someone in the know about colours, availability, changes etc. He got us colour swatches which I still have to this day. I seem to remember that he said in fact that the 6a now is the same as the 6a back in the days of Edmonds & Lee.

Brilliant stuff Richard, thanks for that - 'horses mouth' and all that !  :z16 As far as I am concerned Hot Orange 19 is at least "Orange" ! I watched Ollies vid last night and could clearly see that he didn't use 6A Gold. Not sure 6A now (other than Antique 6A) is the same as 6A in Edmonds and Lee though as the two colours look very different - the orangey shades in Ed and Lee get progressively intense or darker too ?

I wonder if "Hot Orange 19", and not available in 1916, became a subsitute "Orange" ?

For what it's worth, my best "orange" spider this year on the Don was "Grouse and Orange" ...and it was tied with Hot Orange 19 !  :oops Don't know what it is but I much prefer Grouse hackle to Partridge  :z8

Cheers,

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #48 on: 04/11/2011 at 14:09 »
Thanks Lindsay... I'll stop nagging now...  :oops I can get carried away when it comes to colors, screens and calibration of them..  :z6...

Naw keep nagging it keeps me on my toes  ! :wink I did calibrate on that one using the white on the spools as "white" - the thread colours are ever so slightly paler than in real life though, so you are correct in that - but that's photography ?

Lindsay

Sieger Devries

« Reply #49 on: 04/11/2011 at 16:39 »
Naw keep nagging it keeps me on my toes  ! :wink I did calibrate on that one using the white on the spools as "white" - the thread colours are ever so slightly paler than in real life though, so you are correct in that - but that's photography ?

Lindsay

:wink That why I use a 18% grey card in my photo's when it comes to be as close to the real thing as possible... (White always takes a little of the surrounding colors... 18% grey is absorbing the light and is neutral..)

If you put this card into your picture, you have the best calibration point for adjusting the whitebalance and processing the pics through programs like Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture etc....
If you like to know how to, here's a link in English...

When I'm at home I will try to do a pic with my spools (woeaahh put the pressure on... :wink ) Can take a few days because I'm on holiday now...  :grin

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #50 on: 04/11/2011 at 18:34 »
Its been a great topic this one, with lots of interesting info coming to light.

However i was pondering it at some length today at work and you know, i catch very few fish on the river or lochs with the Partridge and orange, despite it often having a place on the leader.

The Waterhen Bloa is a completely different story, accounting for a high percentage of my fish, as does the snipe and purple (or more often than not a Dark Watchett :wink).
The other flies that work for me in place of the Part and Org are the HE and Plover and a Grouse and Claret (now theres a fly with a good name :z7). I wonder how much of that is due to insects or personal preference or indeed the water colour :z8

Don't you just love fly fishing :z18

Sandy

Sieger Devries

« Reply #51 on: 04/11/2011 at 19:47 »
Actually I caught a great part of my fish with the P&O, the Greenwells Spider and a Black and silver one... I didn't catch any with a Waterhen Bloa, but than again I didn't fish one either....  :z4 :z4
(The one posted here was one off the first bunch I tied..  :wink and I will try them next season..)

For me it's all in personal preference depending on the water.. speed and the insects that are hatching in that period (I trie to anyway...) And not to forget... What the ghilly says...
I went to Ireland for the first time last April and was struggling at first... Got some tips from the guide we had and started to catch.. So local knowledge is mighty important...  :z17

Loxiafan

« Reply #52 on: 04/11/2011 at 19:59 »
However i was pondering it at some length today at work and you know, i catch very few fish on the river or lochs with the Partridge and orange....The Waterhen Bloa is a completely different story, accounting for a high percentage of my fish, as does the snipe and purple (or more often than not a Dark Watchett :wink).
The other flies that work for me in place of the Part and Org are the HE and Plover and a Grouse and Claret (now theres a fly with a good name :z7). I wonder how much of that is due to insects or personal preference or indeed the water colour :z8

Part and Orange took a few fish last season but not as many as I would have hoped. If I was fishing a team of only two spiders it wouldn't make it on there I'm afraid !  :shock The two best spider performers last season (my first full season on lower Don) was Waterhen Bloa and Snipe and Purple....by a country mile ! I wonder if I had stuck with spiders (and Part and Or) as the season progressed if that would be different - I switched to dry fly pretty much exclusively by June ? It's meant to be a good bwo spinner imitation ?

Outsider for me was Grouse/Woodcock and Yellow especially in late May - maybe being taken as a Sedge pupa ? Especially so when the water had quite a bit of floating detritus.

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #53 on: 04/11/2011 at 20:24 »
.....(or more often than not a Dark Watchett :wink).

Tied a few but didn't fish them on Don. One with Hot Orange (again !) and no mole dubbing on size 16 Alex Jackson NC Hooks (nice btw, though barbed). Hackle is Snipe, I think eg. pattern is completely WRONG !

Not perfect, head encroaching on the eye, but one of the better efforts from February.

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #54 on: 04/11/2011 at 22:12 »
eg. pattern is completely WRONG !

Why? Let the fish decide, it looks rather good to me.
I'm rather fond of a snipe and yellow as well.

One to try on the don and for the small stillwaters is peacock herl body with a grey partridge hacke and an olive head.
Awesome fly. Also known as Syl's midge. Or a GPP if you are me :wink

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #55 on: 05/11/2011 at 01:51 »

:z8

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #56 on: 05/11/2011 at 08:04 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

You're a special kind of fruitcake

Peter McCallum

« Reply #57 on: 05/11/2011 at 08:18 »

You're a special kind of fruitcake

Yeah, one who has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much time on his hands

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z14 :z14 :z14 :z14

Mike Barrio

« Reply #58 on: 05/11/2011 at 08:18 »
Iain ....... the videos just get better and better!  :z4  :z4  :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #59 on: 05/11/2011 at 08:23 »
I'll take that as a condiment Sandy.

On a more serious note I can't seem to do much with the WHB, so hardly fish it. Perhaps I'll try and resurrect it next season.

I seem to recall Iain C having a bit of success on the Don with pink spiders.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com