Liam Stephen

D.H.Es
« on: 15/05/2012 at 14:13 »
What size and colours do you guys use on the Don?  :z16

Liam

Ben Dixon

Re: D.H.Es
« Reply #1 on: 15/05/2012 at 15:22 »
Depends upon time of year and whats on the water Liam.  I carry them from #10 - #18.

Cheers

Benq

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 15/05/2012 at 15:30 »
Thanks for that :z16

I just received some in sizes 12 and 14 and they look massive!!  :z8

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #3 on: 16/05/2012 at 10:46 »
It is a killer fly, waaaay better than a Klink for me, but that may be cos I use it more !  :z4 It is the only fly I have used where I considered stopping fishing or changing to another fly during an evening session as I considered my catch rate "unsporting" ! :shock

What hooks are they tied on Liam - some Klink type hooks are bigger ?

I use mainly size 14, dark and light natural Hare's Fur (not mask), sometimes Olive mask, on Varivas 2200BL's, sometimes 16's too. For most 16's and 18's I prefer Snowshoe Fur as the winging material.

I'd really urge you to tie your own - on some I tie the wing sparsely, pretty much vertical with little side flare and this is good for smooth glides (when wing is Ginked). For bobblier water I prefer the wing to be a bit more flared, almost like a Compardun, as this seems to float better. If the wing is too long it will topple and not fish in the correct posture - this seems crucial. IMO it fishes best when cast directly upstream or at a slight angle to rising fish - this means wading. Drag effects it more negatively than a Klink eg. it will go under easier, so IME side on/slightly upstream casts over 'complex' water are a bit of a no no, whereas a Klink can usually be mended and stay afloat. Remember Van Klinken fishes his Klinks downstream.......the cad !

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com