Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: What makes a Blob Work
« Reply #15 on: 04/02/2008 at 21:23 »
Hi Henry

The white zonker falling through the water is easier to figure out .......... most lakes have ducks and swans which folk enjoy feeding with bread. Trout are well accustomed to taking these easy pickings as they fall through the water and will frequently take bread off the surface too.

Cheers
Mike

« Reply #16 on: 05/02/2008 at 10:25 »

Hi Mike
          I have seen this done  for Bows  Mike and it was fishiery owener that put the bread in.

This was the Q for to get somthing White on Disgusted Andrew and myself moved to the other side of the pond.Back to the Blob Think Rob is right what he says if they can not smell it they will take it to find out what it is curiosity. I think eggs still play apart in this , Where did the Blob originate from was it tyed to imatate a egg they were have the size they are today.

Henry  :z4 :z18

Irvine Ross

« Reply #17 on: 06/02/2008 at 20:14 »
I would not recomend fishing excessively large flys for Rainbows.

Jim

Jim

Point taken. I was not thinking of very big flies and particularly not very large hooks.

I was just speculating that if it is only size that make a blob work then you could catch rainbows on a fly that is the size of a blob but in a pattern that is more pleasing to tie. Or at least more pleasing for me to tie. The hook you tie it on would have to be within the fishery rules so, for example, maybe a templedog on a small plastic tube with a single hook would work. If it didn't work then at least you would still have it in your box for salmon. :z16

Cheers

Irvine :z15

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 07/02/2008 at 12:08 »
maybe a templedog on a small plastic tube with a single hook would work. If it didn't work then at least you would still have it in your box for salmon. :z16

Oh, it would work!!!!

Sorry if I offend anyone, but Rainbows, especially at this time of year, are not the gentle, dellicate mythical beasts that gently sip in tiny Caenis, bearly making a ripple..... they are infact highly effictive predators capable of taking VERY large items if they want. We have taken them, with regularity, on whole mackeral, whole sardines (a favourite rainbow bait of mine), large lures when trolling for Pike and Ferox (10" plus plugs), jerk baits, soft plastics, huge flies, and in days gone by before I stopped using livebaits, live 6 -8oz rainbows!! (ps. Livebaiting is banned in scotland now, and i support this).

On a Pike day on Menteith two weekends ago, there were 11 rainbows landed and safely returned by the lure guys. The rules state lures must be 8" and above..so it gives you an idea of the vorocity of which the Bows were feeding.

On the day, rainbows will not shy away from very large flies indeed :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com