Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Hart

Booked on to this beat tomorrow for a day with the trout rod. I'll post up how my day went later in the week, but before I go, does anyone on here have any previous experience fishing there that they would like to share? I've had a search and read through old posts but there doesn't seem to have been anything posted in the last few years. Looks to be a bonny stretch of water!

Matt Hart

Don - Cottown Bellabeg - And a not so silver tourist!
« Reply #1 on: 15/09/2022 at 15:20 »
So yesterday's trip up to Strathdon was well worth it.

I started off having a go on the short north bank section at the top of the beat, parking in the sports field (with permission from one of the chaps working there to make sure I wasn't in anyones' way). A large gate in the corner with a hook latch gives you access right to the river bank so I just had my wellies on at this point. This is the part that is right by the main road with the supporting wall.

The water was shallower than I was expecting given that the reading on FishPal at Culfork, just above Strathdon, was reading 4" above. Also the wind had picked up substantiously, but fortunately there is quite a bit of tree cover so that helped.

Unfortunately I missed the first (and only) rise to a dry...but it was only a very small trout anyway in very shallow water so not to worry.

I then moved the car to the south side, about half way down the beat, got my waders on and walked back up to where I had just left but now on the south bank.

Most of the water was very shallow 6-12", but there  were a handful of deeper pools up to around 4ft or so. I wanted to try and hit the lower depths of the deep pools so I was using a 5ft clear intermediate tip, with about 4ft of clear flurocarbon to get down. I tried various set ups of single wet flies, nymphs, and both at the same time but I wasn't really getting anything to tug at all which seemed odd.

I was getting a bit scunnered and thought it was odd that I wasn't even getting a rumble  :z8 ...so a change of tactics. Ditch the intermediate tip, and just use 10-12ft of the flurocarbon (6lb) and a simple black pennel on the point. Within 10 minutes I had 4 fish  *smiley-yippee* . They were all quite on the small side, but some were in the 8-10" region which I was happy with....to be honest I was just happy that I was catching, but I was kicking myself for the last 3 hours I'd spent with the intermediate tip on - a lesson I'll remember next time!

Some very nice water anyway. As mentioned mainly on the shallow side - but that can be expected with how far up the river it is!

After this I packed up and headed off, with the intention of stopping at another spot not too far away on my way back that I had been given permission to fish from a friend - and boy, was I glad I did! Check out this superb tartan specimen in all his glory  :z14

So all in all a good day was had. I'll be back up to fish the cottown beat again no doubt - and next time, I'll be fishing with a simple leader from the get go!

Mike Barrio

Re: Don - Cottown Bellabeg - And a not so silver tourist!
« Reply #2 on: 15/09/2022 at 15:43 »
Great stuff Matt - and some nice pics  :z16

Black Pennel and keep it simple  >)

Cheers
Mike

Stevie Rennie

Re: Don - Cottown Bellabeg - And a not so silver tourist!
« Reply #3 on: 17/09/2022 at 01:57 »
Sounds like a great day Matt  :z16

Ben Crichton

Looks a rare bit of water! Been up to Strathdon ranch before and the river looks perfect up that way!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com