Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: FIRST TIME ROD BUILD PROJECT
« Reply #25 on: 28/01/2009 at 08:46 »
Think this could be a project for me next winter :wink.

One VERY important thing to remember...temperature plays a very important part in the quality of the epoxy finish.

This is why I have not been able to finish any rods recently, I just cannot get my spare room warm enough (+20 degrees) for the epoxy to flow nicely. Basically, if the temp is too low you can get "fogging" in the epoxy which is water condensation or the epoxy does not flow and level because it becomes thicker at lower temps.

One trick is to microwave the epoxy before mixing, then keep it on a radiator or similar when applying, this gives a really runny consistancy, and if you ahve a rod turner, it levels beautifully...but..if the air is cold it will sonn start to thicken and if you need to go back and touch up what your have done, it can leave bumps.

Just a thought :)

Alex Burnett

« Reply #26 on: 28/01/2009 at 21:16 »
One VERY important thing to remember...temperature plays a very important part in the quality of the epoxy finish.

This is why I have not been able to finish any rods recently, I just cannot get my spare room warm enough (+20 degrees) for the epoxy to flow nicely. Basically, if the temp is too low you can get "fogging" in the epoxy which is water condensation or the epoxy does not flow and level because it becomes thicker at lower temps.

One trick is to microwave the epoxy before mixing, then keep it on a radiator or similar when applying, this gives a really runny consistancy, and if you ahve a rod turner, it levels beautifully...but..if the air is cold it will sonn start to thicken and if you need to go back and touch up what your have done, it can leave bumps.

Just a thought :)

Hi Rob

Thanks for that, my plan is to try to get all the rings whipped on ready for epoxy then do 2 lots of 3 sections which will take me a bit of time yet.

Alex

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: 28/01/2009 at 22:04 »
"fogging" in the epoxy which is water condensation

Do you reckon this comes off the blank or from the wraps?

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #28 on: 29/01/2009 at 08:47 »
I was talking to Cass who is a chemist working with polymers etc so I asked her....since I had heard differing comments on the rod building forums.

Her take on it is that cold air can be damp and as the epoxy "reacts" and starts to go off it draws in moisture from the atmosphere. This ties in with a post on a US forum where a chap in Florida had always epoxied his rods in his air conditioned garage (about 20 degrees) but decided to get a quicker cure time by openning the garage door to let the heat in. Every wrap went misty. Of course, the warm air in Florida has a high humidity.

A warm room in a house should be relativly damp free.

Whats your opinion on the issue?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #29 on: 29/01/2009 at 09:06 »
This is where it gets interesting.

Only time i've had problems with misting was a few years ago when i built a couple of rods, and epoxied them in the attic.
I had taken the rods from the relatively warm room in the house where i had wrapped them into the cooler attic.
I attributed the misting to the fact that on the temperature change from room to room the blank had been subject to condensation.
Although it was not apparent, i had figured that the wraps had actually remained slightly affected when the epoxy had been applied, hence the misting.
I stripped the rods and re-did them in the room afterwards :z6 Bloody pain.
A bigger problem for me was always micro bubbles :mad For me this is caused by cooler temps where the epoxy is slightly thicker not allowing the bubbles to get to the surface to pop in time to let the epoxy self level. Since moving to the new house and now having a proper room in the house to build in (lucky me :z12) it became less of a problem as the temperature is much more easily maintained. However i noticed a MASSIVE improvement using the quad rod turner, i'm attributing this to the fact that it turns very slowly so giving the bubbles much more chance to pop. I'm extremely happy with the finish i'm getting now.

Incidentally in my experience Heating the epoxy will reduce the pot-life substantially , it will make it slightly less viscous for a short time, but will reduce your time for completing the job. Too much of a compromise for me.

As i say, the biggest improvement i have seen was by slowing the turning speed   :z16 and for that i need a longer potlife :z8 swings and roundabouts i suppose :z18

Sandy

stickleback

« Reply #30 on: 29/01/2009 at 23:31 »
From start to finish if you had all the kit , how long does it take to make a good job of a rod?

My build took an hour or two each night for the guts of a week (that included making my wrapping cradle).  The longest bit for me was doing the wrappings.

Re slow blank turning gadgets.  I've read on the internet that the turntable motor from a microwave oven has the perfect turning speed - approx 6 - 8 RPM.  Needless to say, in preparation for my next project, I've managed to cadge an old microwave and hope to strip the motor out with the help of a mate who's an electrician - wouldn't want to get zapped by mistake  :shock  Hopefully I'll succeed in building a Heath Robinson turner and will post pictures.  If not I'll have to take you up on your kind offer Sandy.

Re my earlier comment about my desire for cheap Meiser salmon rod blanks.  After a fair bit of digging around on the internet I've found that it's a New Zealand company called CTS that supplies them.  I've spoken to them and confirmed it and ordered the blanks up tonight   :z12.  For anyone buying blanks from abroad - beware of the exchange rates and do your homework - the blanks I identified varied hugely in price depending where they could be sourced from.  CTS firstly quoted in US dollars (I presume because most of their sales are to the US ?), then when I asked they also quoted in NZ dollars. This one questio has saved me approx 30% of the price - buying them in New Zealand dollars is saving me approx £90 compared to buying them in US dollars.  I think this must be down to the crazy volatility of the exchange rates between the 3 currencies  :z8.  I could also have sourced the blanks in Europe but price was frankly outrageously.

Does anyone know where I can source reasonably priced good quality cork rings (including burl) in half inch, quarter inch, and eighth inch thicknesses to make a fancy handle ?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #31 on: 30/01/2009 at 12:03 »
Incidentally in my experience Heating the epoxy will reduce the pot-life substantially , it will make it slightly less viscous for a short time, but will reduce your time for completing the job. Too much of a compromise for me.

Totally agree..hencd the reason I am stuck with 5 rods to epoxy!!!! Bring on the warmer weather!!!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #32 on: 30/01/2009 at 12:05 »
Stickleback...

did you know you can get CTS blanks in the UK? H and H bring them in.

Also, for cork, try David Norwich or Steve Parton..infact, steve is cheaper and the quality is spot on.

Hope that helps
Rob

stickleback

« Reply #33 on: 31/01/2009 at 09:00 »
No - I ordered the blanks direct from CTS in New Zealand.  I'll check out your suggested cork suppliers.  Cheers

Cammy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #34 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:11 »
First Rod Build Project - Finished at last!!!

Well I finally found the time to get some more work done on my first rod building Project, an IM6 10ft 5/6wt 7pc travel rod.

After reading Cammy’s post a couple of times, getting some advice from Spiderman & borrowing a rod turner from Mike B I set to it.

It wasn’t all plain sailing, luckily I managed to get a replacement reel seat & wooden insert from Mike.

The finished product looks OK to me, plan to take it to Haddo on Sunday to let Mike see it & see what he thinks.

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #35 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:28 »
 :z16 :z16 :z16 Nice build!

I did a 7 peice for a friend a good few years ago..nightmare to do..lol..far too many whippings ;)

You are not the only one to do that to a reel seat...  :oops :oops

Barry Robertson

« Reply #36 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:29 »
Looks very techno Alex, love the whipping colour.
Well done anyway on completing your first rod  :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #37 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:37 »
Hi Alex

Great to see the photos, I'm really looking forward to seeing the rod ....... Well done! :z16

You have embarked on a slippery slope ..... What's your next project then? :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #38 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:44 »
Hi Guys Thanks for the kind comments. :z16

Rob

Yes now realise the 7pc was not the wisest move for a first Project. :oops

Mike

Don't know , will wait & see what you think when you see the Rod on Sunday, :wink
Been asked to build a 10 1/2" 8wt for a guy I work with but don't think I am up to building
rods for someone else, but if he insists I will try to convince him to try something lighter. :z8

Alex

stickleback

« Reply #39 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:51 »
Nice one Alex - looks like you've made a cracking job  :z16.  You don't do things by halves - whipping 7 sections on your first build  :shock :z4  Well done.

Cammy

Alex Thain

« Reply #40 on: 29/08/2009 at 19:03 »
hi stickleback.    solway custom components  is the best site i have used for cork   great service   hope this helps? 

stickleback

« Reply #41 on: 30/08/2009 at 10:04 »
hi stickleback.    solway custom components  is the best site i have used for cork   great service   hope this helps? 

I was going to use Solway Custom Components but discovered that Mudhole.com are based on the outskirts of Orlando and as I was going there on holiday in July I decided to visit them (much to the disgust of my wife and kids  :z4 :z4) and get my stuff at American prices with no postage/customs charges.  I was like a kid in a sweetie shop - a truly incredible aray of rod building goodies.  They have a relatively small front shop but when I turned up all the way from Scotland they took me through to a humungous rear store room and workshop and helped me choose all my bits and pieces (and more worringly gave advice on what I'd need for future projects that I've got in mind  :shock).   My only word of caution to anyone who fancies visiting them is don't try and find them without a SatNav - they're tucked away down a quiet lane that's not very well sign posted.

If anyone's going over to Disney this year in October, Mudhole are having an open day on the 10th with demos etc.  Shame I was 3 months early.  Definitely worth a visit IMHO, but please don't blame me for your ensuing divorce  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #42 on: 30/08/2009 at 10:51 »
I have used Mudhole a few times too, but get the stuff sent to my partners office in Houston, and then she brings it back with her:)

She is back there in 2 weeks time so have a couple of reels on order from BassPro :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #43 on: 30/08/2009 at 22:16 »
Hi folks :cool:
Had a cast with Alex's rod today ...... excellent for a first build ..... and I'm sure it will fish very well :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #44 on: 02/09/2009 at 17:06 »
Hi Alex

You have embarked on a slippery slope ..... What's your next project then? :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike  - Next Project  :shock  Oh Okay, yes there is going to be a next project. I am planning on building an IM6 graphite 4PC, 5WT, 9FT, fast action rod, blank weighs 1.8 ounces & is a Dull Matt Black in colour.  Titanium Carbide plated over Stainless Steel Snake Rings and they are Gunmetal Grey in colour, AAA grade Half Wells cork handle & hopefully a reel seat that is a little bit special!!! :wink :wink.

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #45 on: 03/09/2009 at 11:44 »
Alex,
what blank are you going for?
Special reelseat..has to be an ALPS then ;)..mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I use the Ti coated snakes...very nice looking...They look good with a titanium tipping to the whipping and a Ti reel seat..all very classy indeed :)

I will be using them on the blank I bought from Mike the other day :)

Alex Burnett

« Reply #46 on: 03/09/2009 at 16:39 »
Hi Rob

Temple Fork TiCr series Blank.. Reel Seat is not ALPS as it happens, will either be one of these:

or one of these

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #47 on: 03/09/2009 at 22:28 »
Owwwwwwwww...fast blank that :) I thought it was considerably higher modulous tham IM6 though? Is it not the Titanium reinforced one? Fulling Mill used to use this blank for there top of the range rod. A couple of the Pike lads use the 9 weight from Temple Fork...sold under the Lefty Kreh name.  Good choice coz its a darn good blank for the money.

Love the reel seat!!!

Thats going to be one very nice outfit :)

Keep us posted :)

Alex Burnett

« Reply #48 on: 03/09/2009 at 22:58 »
Hi Rob

No it is just the TiCr I went for (TF B05 90 4 T) as it is only 1.82oz as against the 1.93oz of the (TF B05 90 4 TX) Titanium Chromium Coated version, want to try one of Sandy tips on it :wink :wink

Hopefully it will turn out OK.

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #49 on: 03/09/2009 at 23:20 »
Hopefully it will turn out OK.

I am sure it will!! Whose reel seat is that..its lovely!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com