Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Salmon on the Dee...
« Reply #15 on: 26/02/2009 at 16:11 »
No pictures...I cannot understand why salmon anglers do not carry a camera/weigh sling and scales..totally baffles me.

I believe more details will come out soon.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #16 on: 26/02/2009 at 17:28 »
Drummer...sort of!..still learning.

Ive always wanted to learn the drums (pipe band) I used to play the chanter, was taught buy Alister Lang from the Lonach Men!

What did you do to start learning with them?

p.s. I play guitar Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #17 on: 26/02/2009 at 20:40 »
I am getting a different story.....

The fish was measured against a rod, not a tape and I am not sure that it was witnessed by anyone other than the angler, this is what I heard but will make a call and verify what I have just written

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 26/02/2009 at 21:23 »
Ben,
the 54 inch fish was certainly measured by rod. I understand that that fish has had a few questions raised and that the length was reduced to 52"..still a huge fish by any standard.

As for the bigger fish, I am sure you will know the people involved. Will speak to them on Wednesday unless you get to speak to them first.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 26/02/2009 at 21:24 »
Ive always wanted to learn the drums (pipe band) I used to play the chanter, was taught buy Alister Lang from the Lonach Men!

What did you do to start learning with them?

p.s. I play guitar Iain

Come along then..Cassie is doing the teaching of the chanter! Its CAs and myself that are trying to get the band going again and we really need a few experienced players...

j.r fartley

« Reply #20 on: 27/02/2009 at 15:55 »

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 27/02/2009 at 16:27 »
So it sounds confirmed..but at 63"..not 62"?

I have no reason to doubt the story from the two ghillies, and they had no reason to exagerate the size as it was not there beat...

But why no damn pictures!!...so frustrating. Having said that, i took 4 x 20+ pound pike on the fly in one afternoon and i never had a camera..sods law no doubt!

j.r fartley

« Reply #22 on: 27/02/2009 at 16:35 »
its great to know there are still giant fish out there,theres another link on that thread to another salmon forum,someone on it mentions a video taken by divers on the dee who seen some huge fish,i know iv seen the footage but i cant remember where,anyone with a link to this it would be greatly appreciated! :!

sightbob

« Reply #23 on: 27/02/2009 at 17:51 »
there you go, it was right here

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/video.html

j.r fartley

« Reply #24 on: 27/02/2009 at 18:10 »
thats a great bit of footage,theres so many salmon doon there! :z15

spencie

« Reply #25 on: 19/03/2009 at 21:41 »

salar35

« Reply #26 on: 19/03/2009 at 22:02 »
Rob

The muckle kelt was  :shock 63" in length  :shock, off Drum and Durris. By way of comparison, Georgina's 64lb fish back in 1922 was a mere 54" so it this fella was a clear 70 pound + class salmon when fresh last year. Five of we retros from the Stoney club are fly fishing there tomorrow, and I wouldn't mind if it was caught all over again, as a photo and actual weight would confound the very few Doubting Thomases of another forum.

Dave

PS   Oops, I have just read John Hickman's report in the provided thread above, which confirms the story he related to ghillie Jim Paton and which he in turn passed on to me. It leads to the conjecture as to whether or not an Atlantic Salmon has to be fresh (ie not one of "last year's models") to qualify for the UK record. After all, it is still a salmon! Well done JH

PPS I will have a camera and measuring tape at the ready.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #27 on: 20/03/2009 at 08:43 »
Thanks for that. Was speaking about it again last night and wednesday night.

There are a few doubters out there, as always, and after the "ness" monster last year that was proved to be no where near as large as first claimed I guess its only natural.

There have been several kelts around or just above 50 inches too, so some big fish out there...

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com