Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Garrigan

Re: What's on your vise? - Summer/Autumn 2010
« Reply #45 on: 09/10/2010 at 14:58 »
Thats an awesome looking fly Peter. Looks like alot of work has gone into it.  :z16 I have seen alot of these in display cases etc. Do many people still fish with this style? Does it have the same following as eg, the guys that only fish cane rods?

I always find it amazing in this sport how things go in and out of fashion.

Cheers
Paul

Peter McCallum

« Reply #46 on: 09/10/2010 at 16:24 »
I think there may be some who use fully dressed flies to fish with :shock but that fly took me about 20 hours over around 2 months to tie :z19 :z19. The real cost is in materials and I simply couldn't afford that investment to get chewed up casting, never mind a fish. Moving the fly quickly or touching the wing will bugger up the set of the feathers so this one is for display purposes only.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #47 on: 09/10/2010 at 17:04 »
I used to buy them from a guy in Spain and fish them, very effective they were too :wink

Can't remember his name, must put some thought in to that, I think it was somebody Martinez.

Cheers
Mike

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #48 on: 11/10/2010 at 17:30 »
Heading out on the Don tomorrow so thought i would sit at the vice and see if i was inspired. I have been messing about with cascade style flies in various colours. Heres a few fresh off the vice. :z16 Go easy :z7

The flash in the wing/tail of this one is pearl UV enhancer. I really liked the effect. Stole/borrowed the idea of adding it to salmon patterns from a wee fly i was shown on the Tay called a "pert shrimp" Must have originated on the Esk.

Black and red bucktail with gold holographic body.

Black/orange bucktail with gold holographic body.

I am really struggling with hackles at the moment. I am tying them in at the tip and trying to judge the length but its frustrating the hell out me! I am using the veniards packets of hackles. Would it make a huge difference if i invested in some capes? orange/red/yellow/black??

Any advice appreciated
Paul

Barry Robertson

« Reply #49 on: 11/10/2010 at 17:42 »
Nice flees Paul, i recently binned what i had left of packets of hackles! If i had one word to sum them up it would be, pish  :z4
Capes are worth every penny IMO  :z18

Matt Henderson

« Reply #50 on: 11/10/2010 at 21:13 »
Very nice paul. 

I got a black cock cape from veniards for a few pounds off of Doug and flymakers.  worth every penny.  I'm going to get a few different colours soon.

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #51 on: 12/10/2010 at 17:52 »
Had some success with the flies today. :z16 Posted in the Don reports forum. I am definately going to get some decent capes for this kind of pattern.  :z18

Michael Buchan

« Reply #52 on: 14/10/2010 at 20:46 »
A few for the Don this weekend

Michael

Matt Henderson

« Reply #53 on: 14/10/2010 at 20:52 »
very nice Michael,  I especially like the bottom two.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #54 on: 18/10/2010 at 19:36 »
Lots of nice flies there guys :z16

Working on my visibly annoying leader problem (slow flat glides) for next season - thinking about these............

Anyone use/d them?

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #55 on: 23/10/2010 at 08:25 »
Playing with Prawn/Shrimp flies.
Trying to get them to look natural!!

Kinda works visually, wonder what the fish will make of it.

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #56 on: 23/10/2010 at 08:30 »
Lots of nice flies there guys :z16

Working on my visibly annoying leader problem (slow flat glides) for next season - thinking about these............

Anyone use/d them?

Iain

Iain

I tried this style of Dry many years ago, they cast and sit really nicely, but i had lots of problems hooking fish with them,
loads of takes but very few hook-ups.
I put it down to the position of the hackle, the trout feel the spikes and reject the fly before it gets into their mouth.
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with them, i could have just been me!!! :z6

Cheers

Sandy

« Reply #57 on: 23/10/2010 at 19:56 »
Iain,
Your fly looks very similar to the reversed parachute dry flies tied by Roy Christie, however Roy’s flies do not have a wing post.  I have only briefly tried these flies with no success so cannot comment on their hooking abilities, I do know that they are quite a lot of people who have a lot of confidence in these flies.  Perhaps the omission of the wing post makes a difference.

http://www.danica.com/FLYTIER/rchristie/rchristie.htm

Robbie

Iain Goolager

« Reply #58 on: 28/10/2010 at 20:57 »
Very nice Shrimp flies Spiderman  :z16

Yes, nice

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #59 on: 02/11/2010 at 20:57 »
More of those fish friendly flies :wink

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com