Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Things that you find in the cupboard
« Reply #25 on: 28/10/2018 at 09:12 »
Morning Hamish :z16

Not silent, they have a slight click to them. Not sure you'd hear this over the background sounds of running water though.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 28/10/2018 at 12:06 »
Things that you find in the cupboard ..............

"Wairua" ....... a simply sweet fly rod that Sandy built for me. I have a couple of nice Boos  :z12

Euan Innes

« Reply #27 on: 28/10/2018 at 19:16 »
More pix of that one please Mike!

Euan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 29/10/2018 at 09:29 »
Will do :z16 ..... when I get a chance Euan.

I've got two of these, as new, would be happy to sell one of them.

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #29 on: 29/10/2018 at 12:45 »
Stop that Mike! I have already spent too much on tackle this year.
But put up the photos anyway  :z4 :z4 :z4

Euan

James Laraway

« Reply #30 on: 29/10/2018 at 15:22 »
Will do :z16 ..... when I get a chance Euan.

I've got two of these, as new, would be happy to sell one of them.

Cheers
Mike

Definitely more photos please...

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 18/12/2018 at 13:24 »
Silent drag..... or......  ???

Getting back to this .... Why do you ask Hamish? I'm guessing that you like a good loud click on a Salmon reel?

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #32 on: 18/12/2018 at 16:45 »

Getting back to this .... Why do you ask Hamish? I'm guessing that you like a good loud click on a Salmon reel?
Yes, exactly - well pretty much. I like a wee bit of drama  :wink Silent reels don't 'do it' for me  :shock

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #33 on: 18/12/2018 at 18:38 »
Yes, exactly - well pretty much. I like a wee bit of drama  :wink Silent reels don't 'do it' for me  :shock
H,

I am with you, silent salmon reels make no sense to me either.

The singing of the reel as a fish takes let’s me know when to lift. I bought a really nice reel that was silent and I just could not get used to it.

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 18/12/2018 at 19:39 »
I like my Trout reels silent/quiet, but I do like a Salmon reel to sing :z12

Cheers
Mike

Andrew Parker

« Reply #35 on: 16/01/2019 at 23:22 »

A Sexyloops Hot Torpedo Competition 9' #5 fly rod :z12

Hot Torpedo fly rods have quite a following nowadays, there is even an owners club I believe :shock

This one was actually the first rod, serial number 1.

When does that date from Mike? I remember Stefan S breaking one of the prototypes at the Sexyloops meet in Strathdon; although it may have simply been Stefan was holding it when it snapped :)

Sorry, nothing interesting to report in my cupboard: I keep having clearouts.

Andrew

Mike Barrio

« Reply #36 on: 17/01/2019 at 00:09 »
Hi Andrew  :z16

Not long after the Strathdon meet, within a year I guess. I could look back for you if it is important?

This one has seen very little casting and is pretty much like new ..... I should probably sell it.

If somebody would like it I'm open to offers via PM :wink

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #37 on: 17/01/2019 at 00:15 »
PM sent

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #38 on: 17/01/2019 at 04:55 »
Dad,

In case you are not aware, the comp 5 is essentially a rebadged #6 so he will almost certainly take it Mike  :z12

:z18

Steven.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #39 on: 17/01/2019 at 09:57 »
Offer accepted thanks Eddie ..... Hot Torpedo rod SOLD :z16

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #40 on: 18/01/2019 at 00:05 »
The Loch Style rod is available for £200 if anybody would like it .......... or make me an offer via PM.

I should really move this topic to the 'For Sale / Wanted' section  :z4

This would also make a rather special and unique fishery rod ..... and it is RATHER good at single handed Spey too.

Cheers
Mike

A Prototype Barrio Lochstyle 10' 6" #5 fly rod :z12

Built by Sandy, this is one of my favourite rods, it's just so nice to fish with.

But I must confess that I haven't been out on a loch for a while :oops I think the last time I fished this rod, was with boat partner Irvine, somewhere up Glen Affric :wink

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #41 on: 18/01/2019 at 10:44 »
The Loch Style rod is available for £200 if anybody would like it .......... or make me an offer via PM.

I should really move this topic to the 'For Sale / Wanted' section  :z4

This would also make a rather special and unique fishery rod ..... and it is RATHER good at single handed Spey too.

Cheers
Mike

Mike,

I'll take it  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #42 on: 18/01/2019 at 10:46 »
Great stuff Steven ..... SOLD :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #43 on: 30/01/2019 at 12:29 »
Definitely more photos please...

Sorry ...... forgot about the photos :oops

This one is a 7' 6" #3, it hasn't been fished and I would be open to offers of around £250 OK £200 then anybody.

Look at the cork on that :shock

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #44 on: 30/01/2019 at 14:56 »
You utter barsteward Mike.  :z4 :z4 :z4
I am now trying to define the difference between WANT and NEED.... :X2

Euan

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #45 on: 31/01/2019 at 00:41 »
You utter barsteward Mike.  :z4 :z4 :z4
I am now trying to define the difference between WANT and NEED.... :X2

Euan

It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission  :z4

I must admit that i've never liked fishing with them, but I can't deny that it's pretty  :cool:

Steven.

Euan Innes

« Reply #46 on: 31/01/2019 at 19:41 »
It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission  :z4

I must admit that i've never liked fishing with them, but I can't deny that it's pretty  :cool:

Steven.

Steven,
I have a great understanding with my better half. Since she took up scuba diving and needs to spend a lot of money on gear she no longer bothers me when I buy tackle. As a matter of fact she will be with me on Saturday in Angus Angling!  :z16
I do love a bamboo rod, but not all the time and that is definitely a rod worth having. I did define want and need, and although I still want it, I don't need it so I passed. I have two other short rods in that line weight, both not made of carbon, and there is nothing wrong with either other than I need to fish them more. At that price Steven you should buy it for those days that need a #16 BWO.  :wink
Almost troot time and the new green stick is just begging to get out!

Euan

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #47 on: 01/02/2019 at 07:12 »
Steven,
I have a great understanding with my better half. Since she took up scuba diving and needs to spend a lot of money on gear she no longer bothers me when I buy tackle. As a matter of fact she will be with me on Saturday in Angus Angling!  :z16
I do love a bamboo rod, but not all the time and that is definitely a rod worth having. I did define want and need, and although I still want it, I don't need it so I passed. I have two other short rods in that line weight, both not made of carbon, and there is nothing wrong with either other than I need to fish them more. At that price Steven you should buy it for those days that need a #16 BWO.  :wink
Almost troot time and the new green stick is just begging to get out!

Euan

Mine wasn't but that's now taken care of  :z4 :z4 :z4

A fine sales pitch sir but that's what my 3# barrio and 4# hot torpedo are for and I don't have to wait three days to get the fly out there  :z7

Horses for courses and I definitely admire the craftsmanship but they really ain't for me i'm afraid.

Steven.

Hamish Young

« Reply #48 on: 06/03/2019 at 09:48 »
Continuing on the thread topic...... I have started to (sort of :!) sort through some of my fishing gear.
Of the collection of folk here, probably only Euan truly comprehends the madness this is. The truth is that some things are best left undisturbed.... but it's too late now :z4

Turns out that I have many, many more fly lines than even I thought  :shock

I also found a rod I have no recollection of buying/swapping for/being given etc. It's something of a mystery  :z8

It also just happens to be one that I have been itching to do some Spey casting with...... it's a 10' Daiwa Whisker 'Professional Trout' rated for AFTMA 8-10  :cool: Not all that often you see (today, at least) 8-10 wt and trout on the same rod  :wink

For a long time I was a very big fan of Daiwa products and IMHO they really did make some super rods 'back in the day'. Unfortunately I think they often compromised the blanks with some sub-optimal ring choices. I have had the opportunity to try a pair of their rods with one re-ringed with lightweight snakes back to back with a standard rod with the scaffolding like  industrial jobs they came out of the factory with. Night and day.

So I got thinking. If my interest is 'piqued' after a few trial casting sessions with the rod, then I may well spend some time and effort stripping it and re-ringing it with something 'sensible'. We'll see.

In the meantime, I'm going to create some home-made shooting heads for it......

H

Terry Coging

« Reply #49 on: 06/03/2019 at 10:50 »
Hamish - your mention of the Daiwa Whisker prompted me to rummage among some rods that have not seen daylight for years. And there it was - a Daiwa Osprey Tournament 9'9" 7-9 wt. Used to be my favourite lure and s/h salmon rod. I gave it a waggle and remembered how I used to love that rod.  I'll take it down the Reservoir on opening day next week to check it out with it's various successors in my armoury.  Yes - the Daiwa Thistle range were pretty damned good.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com