Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Tested on Animals
« on: 03/05/2023 at 17:17 »
The final taper design for the new U.K. made Smallstream line got some testing in the garden this morning, with my arsenal of glass

And I was a little earlier than expected home after todays Chores, so I nipped down the river with my favourite 4wt glass rod and did some proper R&D. All I can say is for small stream work up to 50’ this line is just superb, presentation is delicate but the short head is punchy and controlled, roll casts really well and you can progress from just the tip of the line to the whole head , which will be really handy on those tight brushy wee burns.  I was doing reach mends with a small RH hook to get a fly over a current to a rising fish, no problem, even got the drift right  *smiley-tongue-out*

Mr B is a very intuitive designer  :z14

Hamish Young

Re: Tested on Animals
« Reply #1 on: 03/05/2023 at 20:17 »
Splendid  >)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 03/05/2023 at 21:26 »
Great stuff Sandy - I'm really pleased that you are enjoying the line  >)

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 04/05/2023 at 14:27 »
so the big question is " how does the new taper differ from the existing one? " and is there anything else that has changed ?

Over to you Mr B...

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 05/05/2023 at 00:42 »
so the big question is " how does the new taper differ from the existing one? " and is there anything else that has changed ?

Over to you Mr B...

Hi James

Sorry, I really don't want to say too much about this before the launch ...... but you can expect something very much in the original concept, it will be available in the lower weights only, made in Redditch, and it will be a twin colour line  :)

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 07/05/2023 at 12:59 »
Sandy and I were out on the river with the #3 and #4 lines again yesterday - and a whole bunch of rods  >)

Great fun as always - the results were superb and we caught a few fish too  :)

Gary Urquhart

« Reply #6 on: 07/05/2023 at 13:04 »
Hi Mike

I'm planning ordering a new line shortly (this week probably, just figuring our which rod I'm buying which i've narrowed down to two, both 4wts). When's the launch? Is it worth waiting? (I do like a two-tone line).

Ta
Gary

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 07/05/2023 at 14:45 »
Hi Gary

The Smallstream has been designed for small streams, rivers and any location where fishing distances are likely to be more limited, or your casting area restricted. Presentation and accuracy with this line at short range is simply sweet, but shooting line to cover a rising fish at more distance remains easy and predictable.

I really don't like offering timescales, as so many things can cause delays, but fingers crossed for later this month for the twin colour version - if not next month  :z16

For general purpose river fishing at all ranges, the GT90 is an excellent choice.

Cheers
Mike

Gary Urquhart

« Reply #8 on: 07/05/2023 at 17:55 »
Understood, thanks Mike.

If I bought the line today and the new line was introduced to the public next week, my face would look like this 😩 but not bothered if it's weeks away. I don't have the experience or skill to notice the difference but if the choice was there, I would choose the two tone.

Thanks again.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 17/05/2023 at 12:15 »
We've certainly worked on a few lines over the years Sandy  *smiley-grin*

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 17/05/2023 at 17:30 »
I'm still fishing in that jacket, although it s a bit faded now.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 18/05/2023 at 10:49 »
Features in quite a few pics over the years Sandy and has obviously served you well, my old black one is still going strong too  :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com