Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Scaring other fish
« on: 07/01/2008 at 18:25 »
Hi just a thought that you could put right for me.

When you catch a fish while playing it the fish gets stressed and splash's about, does this not alert the other fish in the close area and scare them off.

So once you return a fish is it best to move on to another area or just stay where you are?

Dave

Jim Eddie

Re: Scaring other fish
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/2008 at 19:58 »
Dave

The fish usually answer that question themselves, if you stop getting takes move , if they are still biting stay where you are  :wink

Cheers

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 07/01/2008 at 21:03 »
Spot on Jim

Mind you, have you noticed how often another fish will follow a fish you are playing and in clearer water you will often see them chasing the erratic motion of the dropper :wink

Yes, sometimes the splashing about will attract others to see what is going on :roll

But as you said ............ if the takes dry up, try somewhere else.

Generally in my experience of small stillwaters, catching one or two makes little difference, but when you've had about half a dozen from the same area things go quieter and a move is a good idea :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2008 at 21:08 »
Thanks guys it's all these little things that help on a day full of slack lines.

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 07/01/2008 at 21:22 »
Dave

This time of year is generally more difficult as the trout are not so active. They genearlly will not cahse a fly or lure as they may do in the warmer months.
So if fishing deap with a lure is not working , count as your line sinks before you retrieve start at 10 then 20 etc until you start getting takes, If you dont get a touch change location and start again, try speeding up or slowing down your retreive, change to a floater and buzzers.
Its all about finding out what the fish want on the day.
Its often easier in the warmer months as you can often see what the fish are taking on the surface.

Cheers

Jim 

« Reply #5 on: 17/01/2008 at 18:04 »
I have noticed in clear water that if you are playing a fish and it disturbs others, the other fish will often swim off simply doing a circle and come back to roughly the same piont as fish especialy if they are matured can be territorial. By that time in most cases if it is a small fight the fish you are playing is away from that fish's area. Often I find that if you hit a group of freshly stocked fish you will keep getting bites untill you have either caught them all or they have moved around, to a fellow fishermans joy. :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com