Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Trout Master

Is It Possible
« on: 10/07/2009 at 21:18 »
Turn a nymph into a dry fly i was fishing last week with a hare's ear nymph it was a new fly never used it before.  Like all flys on the first cast they float on top with them not been water logged or whatever you want to call it.  First cast got a take landded the fish second cast was still floating on top landded another fish.  After the second fish the nymph finally done what it was ment to do sink was getting nothing so i covered it with gink .  Cought another 2 fish after that it wouldnt float no more not even with more gink so after fishing i went and bought some hare's ear dry fly.  Whent fishing yesterday put the hare's ear dry fly on got nothing so i said the hell with it put the hare's ear nymph on bang got a take.  Cought 2 fish with it yesterday but after started to sink so is there anything that i could coat the fly in to make it float permanently.  And does any one know why the fish wouldnt take the dry fly but would take a nymph on top lol. 

Was fishing for rainbows

j.r fartley

Re: Is It Possible
« Reply #1 on: 10/07/2009 at 23:06 »
maybe the rainbows thought it was a pellet?  :z4

Trout Master

« Reply #2 on: 10/07/2009 at 23:42 »
He doesnt feed his fish pellets

j.r fartley

« Reply #3 on: 10/07/2009 at 23:49 »
He doesnt feed his fish pellets
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  i was just kiddin! sometimes thats the way it goes,the fish dont care if its a wet/dry/nymph, just that it looks tasty! you could try a different product to make it float,iv heard mixed reviews about most of them but im sure youl find somethin that keeps them afloat! 

Trout Master

« Reply #4 on: 11/07/2009 at 00:41 »
lol ok m8 thanks il try some diffrent gink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 11/07/2009 at 01:47 »
Hmmm ..... might be an idea to try different versions of dries? From your description, maybe a Hare's Ear Klink might be the answer and they are certainly working well at the moment :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: 11/07/2009 at 10:11 »
Do you tie your own or was it a shop sold nymph?

If the latter then it probably has added weight in the underbody to make it sink so no amount of Gink or anything else will keep it afloat for long. You need something that has a hare's ear body but no weight.

If the hare's ear dry fly you tried  was a conventional dry fly with the body sitting up out of the water supported on the hackle points then it would not look the same to the fish as your floating nymph. I suspect what you need is a hare's ear emerger of some sort. As Mike suggests the HE Klinkhammer would be a good place to start or a hare's ear F fly.

Tight lines

Irvine

garry john

« Reply #7 on: 11/07/2009 at 16:25 »
hares ear nymph. away 2 try fish sum 2nite 4 1st time :roll

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 11/07/2009 at 18:11 »
anybody got a good link for a step by step for tieing a klinkhammer? I tried it earlier but the hackle was awful and despite three attempts it still looked nothing like it should?

Alex Burnett

« Reply #9 on: 11/07/2009 at 18:25 »
MDH

Try this link, not a step by step but a very good video of tying up a Klink.

http://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=klinkhammer&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-501&tnr=21&vid=0001534561597

Alex

Irvine Ross

« Reply #10 on: 12/07/2009 at 17:55 »
MDH

Here's how the inventor of the fly ties it.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hklinken/klinkhamer_special.htm

If you scroll to near the bottom of the page you will find the step by step. This is the method I have always used. Don't worry if the hackle is a bit scruffy. Some of my earlier attempts were pretty bad but they still caught fish. Tied with a black body it works well in a hatch of buzzers.

tight  lines

Irvine

Matt Henderson

« Reply #11 on: 14/07/2009 at 18:09 »
thanks guys.  I was trying to tie it with a CDC hackle might just try and ordinary hackle next time...

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #12 on: 14/07/2009 at 19:15 »
Try this stuff mate......http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/frogs-fanny
I have been using it on my cdcs all season and it has been the best floatant i have used for them.

In the advertising bluff that come with it, it says you can use it on nymphs to create a bubble and make em float like a cdc.

Might be of some use to you although as said before i would make sure your hares ears are not weighted.

I haven't tried it myself on nymphs yet but you have got me thinkin!!!  :wink

Tight lines.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #13 on: 14/07/2009 at 19:30 »
Frogs Fanny   :shock  naw thats just not happening  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Trout Master

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com