Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Sink the Bismark!
« on: 28/07/2010 at 10:33 »
Yawn!   boring leader question again.

Having major if not catastrophic hassle sinking my tippet. I'm on Fulling Mill copolymer 5X 4.22 lb 0.147 dia.

I've used Fulling Mill, Orvis & my own Magic Fullers Earth mix but all with the same poor effect. I try to apply my dilly wax (Aero wing) sinkant (tippet) and  mucilin (leader) with either cleaned or different fingers but am wondering if there's cross contamination.

Was out yesterday evening and did manage a couple of fish but sinking the tippet was very frustrating.........sometimes casting then stripping the fly back 12" or so to pull everything underwater - which is no bloomin use.

I rose 2 larger fish without contact and am convinced this is in part to do with the rope lying on the surface  :mad

Any ideas or should I try a different brand?

Iain

Iain Cameron

Re: Sink the Bismark!
« Reply #1 on: 28/07/2010 at 11:44 »
hi iain,

i often use a very light dropper fly, just a skinny buzzer or spider, whose main job is to sink the leader and leave the dry floating nicely. works well enough on stillwaters, and at least there's the chnace of a fish or two on the dropper

cheers
iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 28/07/2010 at 18:10 »
Grand max fluro straight through Iain, it works for me!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 28/07/2010 at 18:22 »
I too have issue with getting tippet to sink.  The way I view it (although I could be totally wrong) is that when you get down to a certain diameter therefore mass of tippet, it is simply not heavy enough to break the surface film.  Not an issue on streamy water but if I am dry fly fishing to seen fish I will degrease every other cast. 

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 28/07/2010 at 19:15 »
Ben,
I was degreasing every other cast - which is a major pest when fish are feeding AND because it almost always results in a struggle with bankside vegitation when getting the line out again.

I appreciate the theory behind the slim diameters inability to pierce the miniscus on flat or calm water (didn't I float a pin in a glass of water at school?) would a move to flouro in smaller diameters help?

Iain,

Fine on stillwater  :z16 but don't fancy it on the river

Baz,

If I were to tie on a 16' cast of 0.147 mm diameter 'leader' I wouldn't hold out much hope for my presentation.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 28/07/2010 at 22:38 »
Iain,

I find that the finer the diameter, the harder it is to sink.

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com