Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Most expensive days fishing
« on: 26/04/2011 at 10:46 »
I thought it was steep at times to go fishing here in Aberdeenshire with upwards of £100 for a day on the Dee depending when or where you want to go.  Until I started looking at going fishing in Canada. 

Anybody care to guess how much I've been quoted for a day fishing with a guide and drift boat for smallmouth bass?  Guess in pounds and including tax/VAT.

Winner will get a great deal of pride and self importance. 

cheers

Matt

Sandy Nelson

Re: Most expensive days fishing
« Reply #1 on: 26/04/2011 at 10:51 »
Hmmm.....

A guide and a boat, I reckon on about 450 quid
I'd expect the guide to be about 300 on his own.
This is based on my antipodean adventures.
I reckon Canada is probably about the same costs as NZ :z8

sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 26/04/2011 at 11:03 »
close Sandy but a bit too much.  I have been quoted £300.  Which I'm not sure I can justify.  What I'm really looking for is somebody to take me to a productive stretch of water and suggest flies etc but everybody I've contacted seems to insist that trout fishing through the day will be next to useless and that the only way to target smallmouth bass is from a drift boat.... It's getting to the point that I might have to take the wife with me....

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 26/04/2011 at 11:43 »
Matt

how often are you going to Canada?
That's how I look at it, 300 sounds pretty good to me
as you can tell.
Go for it, strange place, new fish want a day to remember the trip by
then get someone who knows and then do as they suggest :wink
it's worth the expense, tell the wife to spend the day shopping :z4

sandy

Richard Tong

« Reply #4 on: 26/04/2011 at 15:32 »
Matt

Take the wife with you, sit her on the bank with a good book, but far away at a distance so you can't hear her. Go fishing, spend £300 and bingo you've just spent the £300 that she would have done had she gone shopping = free days fishing :z18

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 26/04/2011 at 21:22 »
Matt

Take the wife with you, sit her on the bank with a good book, but far away at a distance so you can't hear her. Go fishing, spend £300 and bingo you've just spent the £300 that she would have done had she gone shopping = free days fishing :z18

Excellent idea :z16

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 26/04/2011 at 21:27 »
You might be onto something there Ricardo!

And Sandy I'm visiting the outlaws so would like to be guided somewhere that I could return to on my own in the future rather than a really special day out that I couldn't go back to again without hiring a guide.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 27/04/2011 at 08:19 »
Guess i'm just lucky, the wife doesn't like spending money :z7
so it works well for me :z18

I can see where you are coming fom now Matt, the drift boat would still be an experience though.
If the guides don't want to fish for trout, then i'd be listenening to them, they usually want you to catch fish, it gets them better tips :wink maybe you should be asking when is best time to trout fish and make that your next holiday :z4
I take it fishing on an evening is not an option :z8

Sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 27/04/2011 at 09:36 »
Sandy,

I'm quite prepared to fish for bass. In fact by what I've gathered on the net they are good fun to fish for.

Fishing in the evening is an option to try and get some trout fishing in, but I wouldn't have a clue where to go.

I have managed to find the website for the local fly fishing club so hopefully they'll be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Matt 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com