Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #420 on: 31/05/2013 at 01:18 »
Wee boys birthday today (oops, yesterday) so resigned myself to not getting out. As luck would have it he tired himself out early'ish so I made it to the water for 9:15.

Due to my excitement I opted to leave the waders in the car and scurry off along the bank, all the time hoping that it wasn't a decision that would come back to haunt me.

It wasn't..............the option to fish the left bank on the other hand was. If there was ever a case for furling up royaly then that was it. a few small things off my bank to the DHE whilst scanning better water upstream had the confidence high, lots of sedge (in the air) and spinners floating about but there was obviously something on the water attracting the Trout.

Off the other bank, which was a complex cast and drift scenario, there were a fair few decent 3/4 - 1 1/4lb fish showing for easily half an hour with a decent biggie at the head of them. I have no doubt that fishing the other bank I would have nailed him, he was constantly feeding.

I threw DHE's, CDC & Elk's at them but the fly would either fall agonisingly short or travel the 1' or so before drag set in (one of the reasons for using the CDC & Elk - skating sedge). I took an age to tie on a large olive Klink which gave the fish a respite from the artillery and within a few casts I was lucky enough to catch a tail end Charlie, not big, around 13" but it was the most appreciated fish I've had in a while.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll tread the other bank.

It was a nice evening to be out indeed.

Iain

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #421 on: 31/05/2013 at 08:42 »
As you've all said what a great night to be on the river, I was at the middle river in the afternoon, was attacked left right and centre by big midge things.  Went out lower down the river at night from 7 till 11. Again heaps of fly life but very surprisingly not a lot of fish rising (except the odd acrobatic tiddler). I had nothing big to show for the night but my fishing partner lost a real beauty around 10pm, potentially a good sea trout but not too sure.

here is a bad phone pic of some of what was flying around early evening, and then later in the evening there were lots of yellow ones....i'm afraid thats as far as my fly knowledge goes but I think its about time i learned!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #422 on: 31/05/2013 at 10:25 »
Jonathon

That looks like an Olive Imago (ie. Spinner) we saw quite a few of those last night too. Along with a few duns later on.
I thought i saw a few yellow mays as well, but couldn't catch one to be 100% it is about time for them to start and a warm, spell will certainly speed things up.

Some pics from last night

A bonny evening

A nice fish, one of a pair taken from the same spot last night, almost a matching pair but this was perhaps an inch longer :roll

the rest of my pictures came out a bit dark or blurred, i guess its heading to that time of year. Still it was great company and another nice bit of water to explore again.

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #423 on: 31/05/2013 at 10:40 »
Got a bit dark where I was too Sandy :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #424 on: 31/05/2013 at 10:44 »
You found your way home though :z4

We were only a wee bit downstream from you, well a mile or so perhaps :wink

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #425 on: 31/05/2013 at 11:20 »
Been a lot of trout moving this morning, the number of offer I had to swung red wool this morning was unbeliveable!

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #426 on: 31/05/2013 at 11:36 »
My shadow and I having a couple of early evening prospecting casts on the river ..... while waiting for the trout to start rising in another pool :z3

Not up to Goolager standards I'm afraid :oops but should be good fun to play with the camera when I find some rising fish :cool:

Noel Kelly

« Reply #427 on: 31/05/2013 at 11:56 »
Been a lot of trout moving this morning, the number of offer I had to swung red wool this morning was unbeliveable!

Ben

I'm not listening (working) :z6

Iain Goolager

« Reply #428 on: 31/05/2013 at 15:06 »
Aye, Trig I was 10 mins from the river and work called  :X1  stuck here!  :mad

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #429 on: 01/06/2013 at 10:36 »
Good to see some videos at last Mike  :z16

Last night was much poorer than the previous evening but there were was still a calm spell where some Duns came floating by and It was great watching the smaller 1/2lb - 3/4 lb fish nailing them. It wasn't easy to ID them and they were of 2 different sizes, both appeared to have bluey' grey wings............ there were a few Yellow Mays in amongst them too.  I was too close to deep water, where I saw a large fish yesterday, to faff about trying to catch them.

Eventually, after much self discipline regarding the feeding smaller fish a reasonable fish did show but just the once? so after another fruitless wait I opted to catch a few 1/2lb - 3/4 lb fish to end the day on a ....positive :roll

I have no doubt that there would have been decent fish showing somewhere.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #430 on: 01/06/2013 at 10:40 »
Awesome photo Iain :z16

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #431 on: 03/06/2013 at 09:47 »
Stole a few hours on Saturday for a cast or three. Had a good stroll along the entire beat. Anyway, lots of small fish upto 8-9 inches on size 16 DHE's so I changed tactics and skated a Sedge for a laugh. Several small fish and a splashy miss from something a bit better.

Moved down stream to an area of slower, flatter water where small fish were going mental. Spooked two large fish that were laying in an area I just would not have thought big fish would not feel confortable in. Noted for next time though!

Found a big old boy feeding sporcadicaly so I waited and waited until it felt right, first cast was spot on, the fly started to just drift where I thought he was and "bop", a 4 inch Parr nailed the fly going skyward as it took. That was the end of that!

And then it rained!! On went the spiders fished upstream, and out came more small fish!

Also found a shoal of 1 inch Parr that would easily cover a car parking spot, thousands of the buggers!!

And then is started to rain..and rain..and rain more...so I went home!

Iain Cameron

« Reply #432 on: 03/06/2013 at 13:50 »
Found a big old boy feeding sporcadicaly so I waited and waited until it felt right, first cast was spot on, the fly started to just drift where I thought he was and "bop", a 4 inch Parr nailed the fly going skyward as it took. That was the end of that!

Good stuff Rob. Moral of the story? Target 4" fish and hope the big guys muscle in?!!
:-)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #433 on: 03/06/2013 at 14:13 »
Good stuff Rob. Moral of the story? Target 4" fish and hope the big guys muscle in?!!
:-)

Nah, the moral is fish huge streamers so the wee sods can't muscle in!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #434 on: 04/06/2013 at 23:16 »
Misty tonight with a bit of a chill.  No fly life and not fish moving, only fish I saw move where smaller than some of my streamers.

Good hatch again this morning though the odd decent fish on the go.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com