Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Flyguy

Rod icing up
« on: 18/01/2016 at 23:41 »
Hi is there anything I can put on my rod eyes to stop them icing up without damaging the rod or line as I had to stop every few casts and break the ice off  :mad

Rob Brownfield

Re: Rod icing up
« Reply #1 on: 19/01/2016 at 08:32 »
I use glycerin, available from the chemist, to stop eyes freezing when trotting for grayling in the winter.

It does not affect mono, but I could not say if a fly line would be ok.

Another ploy might be silicon spray. We had to use it on Cassies Alpha because when you opened the door, the windows dropped an inch to clear the rubber seal. In the winter, the window would freeze to the seal. Spraying with silicon (a dash board cleaner) stopped it happening.

I know some people use silicon sprays on their fly lines to increase shooting distance, so I presume its safe to use.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 19/01/2016 at 08:54 »
When salmon fishing in the spring we used to stick the rod in the water and the ice would come out of the rings, it does come back depending on just how cold it is but it works and is quick and does not require any chemical assistance so the line will not be affected.

Eddie. :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 19/01/2016 at 09:10 »
A bit of Mucilin, or any line treatment applied to the rings will help, but like Eddie says - dipping your rod in the water works as well as anything.

Personally ..... if things are icing up like that, I head home for a coffee and a dram :z4

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 19/01/2016 at 09:43 »

Personally ..... if things are icing up like that, I head home for a coffee and a dram :z4

I'd echo that

Be careful with your rod rings when it is cold enough to freeze as it will make them brittle and prone to snapping, nickel alloy rings (recoil type) are particularly prone to this as are the ceramic inserts in most stripper guides. The rings will all work fine but are much more likely to crack if you bump them when they are very cold.
Just something to bear in mind :z16

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #5 on: 19/01/2016 at 11:18 »
I remember an article on this in Total Fly Fisher. Apparently a smear of Vasoline on the tip solved the problem.   :z16

Liam

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 19/01/2016 at 11:24 »
I remember an article on this in Total Fly Fisher. Apparently a smear of Vasoline on the tip solved the problem.   :z16

Liam

Liam,

are you still referring to rod rings? :X2

Liam Stephen

« Reply #7 on: 19/01/2016 at 12:41 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Shit I had that one coming! Tip ring I should have said  :X1

Liam

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 19/01/2016 at 14:05 »
I'm sure there's still an innuendo in there Liam  :wink :z4 :z4 :z4

If it's that cold then simple thing to do is..............tye flees in the hoose  :z4 :z4

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 20/01/2016 at 16:07 »
another way of keeping the rings from freezing , keep the rod in the house and have a coffee, :z18 easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com