Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Cleaning fly lines
« on: 04/03/2009 at 22:21 »
I was going to give my lines a clean thought i'd just use washing up liquid for them then thought would it remove any of the floating stuff from the floating line i'm sure it would be ok for intermediate?

:z18

Dave

ARF!!

Re: Cleaning fly lines
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/2009 at 22:28 »
i used only the smallest drop of W-U-L and my floster soon became a sinker :z10

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2009 at 22:32 »
Hi Dave

Not a good idea .... washing up liquid damages lines :shock

Use a mild soap, not a detergent ..... if you're not sure which soap to try, use warm water with a little hair shampoo in it :wink

Once clean and dry, a spruce up with a line slick like the Snowbee product will do your line wonders! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 05/03/2009 at 08:26 »
Best thing I have found for floaters is those Armorall wipes from Halfords , then the Snowbee goop that Mike mentioned , works a treat.

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 05/03/2009 at 20:22 »
Hi Dave

Yes, that's the product :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #6 on: 05/03/2009 at 20:26 »
 :z18 Mike

Dave

Paul Rankine

« Reply #7 on: 05/03/2009 at 22:48 »
Hi all,
        Sorry to question seasoned opinion on this but I think it depends on the type of plastic in the fly line and concentration of washing agent used.

So in my experience does not always apply to all fly lines.

A very mild solution of WUL ,  has not harmed any of my fly floating lines , mainly Cortland and SA.

After washing I spray the line with Simoniz Back to Black which really does make it fly  and float very well.

I would caution that this may not work with all fly lines.

Maybe Magnus can expand on this.

Paul.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 05/03/2009 at 23:24 »
Paul,

Quite correct that it depends upon the plastic used for the line.  Some lines such as the AST formulated SA lines have a lubricant built into the coating, the best way to clean these lines is with water and a micro abrasive so you have a new ready lubricated surface to cast with.  Silicone such as that bottled by Snowbee tends to work well on Shakespeare made line but my Orvis lines do not like it, it makes them wear significantly faster and leads to premature cracking of the coating so I tend to use Orvis cleaner with them but this is not great on Rio lines, Rios agent X seems to work best on them, see where this is going?  After a good bit of trial and error I have come to the conclusion that it is best to use the manufacturers recomended cleaner, it is only a few quid in most cases and in my experience it is usually a few quid well spent if you have already spent £50+ on a line.  Would be nice if all manufacturers of top end lines followed the example set by Snowbee and included a bottle of dressing with the line it cost peanuts.
On the subject of lines, Mike kindly lent me a line over the weekend to try on a rod I had previously not been that sure about, had tried it with TTs Wonderlines & various SA offerings without sucess, what a difference  :grin

Cheers

Ben

Paul Rankine

« Reply #9 on: 06/03/2009 at 12:42 »
Hi Ben,
           Thanks for that . You said
the best way to clean these lines is with water and a micro abrasive
. What kind /brand of micro abrasive would you recommend for SA lines ?

Paul.

Derek McLaren

« Reply #10 on: 06/03/2009 at 14:24 »
Hi Ben,
           Thanks for that . You said  . What kind /brand of micro abrasive would you recommend for SA lines ?

Paul.

Let google be your Friend  :z4  :z4

http://www.jtbuckonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=725

Dave Mundie

« Reply #11 on: 06/03/2009 at 18:53 »
So what about intermediate and sinkers how/ do you treat them after washing so they don't float :?

Dave

Derek McLaren

« Reply #12 on: 06/03/2009 at 19:54 »
So what about intermediate and sinkers how/ do you treat them after washing so they don't float :?

Dave

I give mine a wipe with a wet microfibre cloth, when i say wet I mean damp,
Never really had a problem with them not sinking unless scum was present on the surface, the old kelly green intermediate used to take a while to sink but after 10 to 15 minutes it was fine :cool:.
Mostly use airflo sinkers now and they seem fine :z16,In fact I have had a clear airflo intermediate for 6 seasons and it is still ok.

Hope this helps
cheers

Dave Mundie

« Reply #13 on: 07/03/2009 at 20:02 »
Mike the line slick arrived today how do recommend applying it i thought of one of the wife's cotton wool pad make up things would that do :?

Dave

Ben Dixon

« Reply #14 on: 07/03/2009 at 20:24 »
Paul,

SA & Rio both sell hard sponge pads for cleaning lines but the back of the microfibre cloths from Lakeland are as good as anything.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com