Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Flies for the Don just now.
« on: 21/02/2012 at 08:48 »
Right, I should pick up my card on Sunday so hope to get a few hours in the evenings the following week. What Salmon flies should I be on just now. Oh, for the Don around Kemney or Parkhill.

I have not fished for Salmon for 15+ years and the last flies I teid were low water Blue Charms. What are these things called Cone Heads ;)

I am after a few suggestions for patterns, sizes etc. Away to order a heap of normal tubes of the web in aluminium and brass from 1.5" up.

Cheers in advance.

Hamish Young

Re: Flies for the Don just now.
« Reply #1 on: 21/02/2012 at 09:38 »
You'll know well enough to play around with sizes according to water height and colour Rob, I'd look at tubes from 1" to 2"   in aluminium and copper. If you really want to get down a bit tubes in tungsten and brass can help but so will coneheads and to be honest the coneheads can 'swim' better than very heavy tubes on their own.
Pattern of fly is always a little subjective in the spring (arguably most of the season through) and confidence in the pattern and how it's presented is probably more important.
However, a selection including the following would be in my box: gold bodied willie gunn, silver willie gunn, posh tosh, eternal optimist and probably a cascade. Patterns heavier in silver, gold and with yellow in work for me at this time of year. I like a green and yellow combo (eternal optimist) but they're not everyones' cup of tea. When those frustrating days come along, pays to have a monkey and a sunray shadow or two to play with too  :wink
Get tying :cool:
H :z3

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 21/02/2012 at 09:50 »
Rob - without trying to be a pain in the hoop, re-reading your thread about salmon flies is worth a go.  Ben gives a pretty good hint at his list but doesn't tell you all the tubes he carries. 

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4174.0

Also I found this the other day on another forum

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/thread13004.html

it links to a handy chart with water temperature and fly size. 

One mistake I've made is having loads of different flies and tubes but no variation in size, so a box full of 2" copper tubes in spring when the river is only six inches above the gauge might not be that useful.  So in short a few patterns in lots of sizes is better than fifity different size twelve doubles and no size tens or fourteens. 

Cheers

Matt

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 21/02/2012 at 10:15 »
Cheers chaps. I am one for different colours and weights so I am happy with that suggestion.

In years gone by I only fished the Dee and it was Munros, Willie Gunns, Tosh's and big Rapalas!..oh, and the occasional GP.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 21/02/2012 at 12:05 »
100 tubes ordered..guess I am going to be busy :)

From 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 and 2" (Sorry for the decimal inches!) in Alu and Brass.

I was tying up "Rainbow Trout" tubes last night. Interesting what you can do with a tube. When I say Rainbow Trout tubes, I mean tubes to look like 6-8 inch rainbow trout :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com